Rules for employers (1 Viewer)

alby

cool duckie
HSC
to keep the trend going, lets get some rules out there for all of our bosses (owners, managers, 2IC's, etc)

- dont expect people without much experience not to be stressed or occasionally stuff up, espically in very busy times. and if they are/do, HELP them out!! dont just say "dont stress", that doesnt really help

- dont fire employees without letting them know that you're actually firing them...simply not calling them in for more shifts doesnt make things that clear

- give REAL reasons when you tell your employees they're fired, it might hurt but BE CONSTRUCTIVE! even if you both know exactly what has happened, "based on your performance last night, we can't offer you any more shifts" wont help them much

- if employees do things which could put them at risk of being fired, give them a chance to explain themselves - it mightn't always be as clear-cut as you think

ok, your turn to build on the list

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
-when I volunteer to do the occasianal closing shift, as so few others will, don't then put me on them 4 nights a week, while I'm at school, espeically during my exams! You said "occasional"!! Well, I suppose every night's a new occasion...

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It doesn't happen often, but when I've rostered myself off, don't put me on the roster.
Do not put brand new people on friday close. It's hard enough to get all the things cleaned with experienced people, let alone newbies.

My boss is pretty good, though.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
1. if im new, then clearly i don't know as much about the place as experienced staff...so if you're just going to stick me behind the register with no training on how to use the damn thing, don't get shitty when i call you over a hundred times a day to ask how to refund/use the eftpos machine/discount/process a gift voucher/cancel a transaction etc etc. If you took ten minutes to train me properly you wouldn't have this problem.

2. surprisingly enough, i use my lunch break to have lunch. that means im not in the store. that means im not available for the hour. that means you do not bitch at me when i come back. i check the noticeboard, i close my register and call a replacement person, i get my shit, i swipe out and i go to lunch. EVERY SHIFT. so does everyone else. get the fuck used to it.

3. No I am not available on [insert day]. Yes I told you this in writing a week ago. Yes you rostered me on anyway. NO i am not coming to work that shift. deal with it.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
If I'm doing a short arvo shift, please don't ask me to come in early. It means I don't get lunch and I'm likely to get dizzy and very crabby at the customers.

CieL

HSC
New manager:

- Don't expect me to work for a 3hr shift. There is seriously no point in me travelling to work to stand there for 3hrs and go home, especially when I have other things to do.

- Don't give me a call 15mins before you want me and expect me to be there on the dot. Especially when I've just woke up.

- When I give you a list of my availabilities, that is WHEN I AM AVAILABLE. If I say I've got a full day of uni on wednesday, I MEAN IT!

- If you've suddenly changed the roster, inform me. I dont want to get a call from some other line manager asking me if I know Ive got a shift today. Of course not! Not to mention you've put me on a day I said I'm not available on.

- If you don't know how to fucking draw up a roster, and we end up short-staffed.. as in, we only have 2 registers opened whilst customers line up down the aisles.. STAY BACK! It's your fault that I ended up working for 4.5hrs straight with a fever! It doesn't hurt to stay back for like an hour to help us out.

- Don't give me a call at 10pm asking me if I want to do an open at 5:30am.. with a FOUR hour shift. No. I am not going to wake up at 4am to work for 4hrs. I will, however, do it if it was 6-8.5hr long shift. Another reason I won't do it is because I don't feel like doing you any favours. You dont give me any planned shifts, I feel like I'm not needed, so I don't care if you have to do the open yourself.

- When there's a billion customers lining up, I will say "Priority one" on the PA. Don't you tell me to not use that code because the store manager might hear and you will possibly get in trouble for not staffing enough people on at the right times.

- Learn to spell. I can hardly respect [or look up to] someone who can't spell "Wednesday" or "responsibility". Obviously someone who has reached this position through working long-term.

- If you hate me, fucking tell me. I don't know what you're trying to do by leaving my name off the next roster, but if you tell me, it'll save me from staying around and doing nothing. Never have I had such shit shifts working here.

Fucking hate you. Wish you never transferred in.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
alby said:
to keep the trend going, lets get some rules out there for all of our bosses (owners, managers, 2IC's, etc)...

ok, your turn to build on the list
other than this being an internet whinge session, how is this thread going to improve the quality of your workplace or your superior's treatment of you?

alby

cool duckie
HSC
no idea if it'll happen, but i'm sure there's some managers/2IC's on here. and they might be able to use the comments on here to identify something that happens in their workplace and be able to change those things.

and some employees might be able to do something similar - might get the guts to speak up for themselves or some co-workers.

also whinge sessions can help in anger release

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
Frigid said:
other than this being an internet whinge session, how is this thread going to improve the quality of your workplace or your superior's treatment of you?
Who knows.

Maybe someone in a similar situation might read it and offer you advice on how to deal with it. *shrugs* just maybe.

And maybe if I blast it out on the internet I'd feel better and might not murder my manager.

You got anything to contribute?

CieL

HSC
* A lot of swearing. Don't read if you're easily offended.

FUCK YOU.

Stop fucking giving me open shifts. ONLY.

I don't want to have to fucking wake up at 4am saturday and sunday morning to do a PATHETIC 4hr shift! FOUR FUCKING HOURS and WAKING UP AT FUCKING FOUR IN THE FUCKING MORNING.

What the fuck is your problem?! At least give me some other shifts instead of ghostly hours. I HATE YOU. I HATE working by myself. Trying to organise and spot three registers, get cigarettes, put them in the cabinets, shelve all the cigarettes.. within half an hour.

I did it for you last week out of pity, but FUCK it better not be fucking permanent.

Before you rocked up to the store I used to earn hundreds working shifts which were appropriate [for a full time uni student] with appropriate hours per shift. NOW?! Now I earn close to $70/week with shit shifts which ruin my study pattern.. last week I did it for you even though I had a 20% midsem and assignments on.. this week, I gotta do it for you again even though I have a 35% essay due soon after the weekend..

Used to love this job. Compared to my previous jobs, this is piss easy and you get paid decently for just standing there. Now, I can't wait till the day I can strangle you.. better yet, me taking over your lousy job. You are the most pathetic manager I've met in my life. No joke.

I'm going to complain. This is friggin lousy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)