Rules for Customers (4 Viewers)

Evilo

HSC
jhakka said:
, it was a potential $300 sale,
haha yeah, i've heard that one before. I don't get a cut of the sale so i just don't care.

I'm a lot more critical because i've just seen it all before

Common sayings for people trying to get in (well) after closing time
* "I know what i'm going to get"
* "I'll be 2 minutes"
* "I'll tip you"
* "Just one case/bottle etc"
* "Its not closing time" (umm well my clock is slow and it says we are closed)
* "I'll sue you"
* "I'm going to wait till you come out to give you a piece of my mind"
* "I'm going to complain"
* "I'm going to fight you"
* "I'm going to call your manager"
* "I'm going to call the CEO of your company"
* "I'll fight you" (yeah mate, thats a real good reason to serve you alcohol)
* "I didnt realise you were closed" (as they try and force themselves under the gap in the roller door)
* "But i work here!" (ummm really cos i've never seen you before, and this store only has one staff member late at night)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Evilo said:
* "I'll fight you" (yeah mate, thats a real good reason to serve you alcohol)
* "But i work here!" (ummm really cos i've never seen you before, and this store only has one staff member late at night)
hahahahahahaha

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Excalibur_ said:
I also hate it when they don't unload the basket. They just leave it in there. Recently, I've just been getting the basket and tipping it upside down on the conveyor to make a point. It's working though!
Short of that what can you do? I just pack their stuff crappily and scream in my head I AM NOT YOUR SLAVE

Sarah168 said:
LOL I think I posted on this earlier but that drives me up the wall :mad1: THey stand there reciting each fruit like I've never seen a banana, a plum, grapes, an orange, potatoes in my life. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! I just mutter under my breathe "I know...I know...I know!!!""
Oh god yes, how stupid do they think we are?!?!

One of the things that irritates me is the old Chinese women who come in brandishing $100 notes and dispute 5c of the price of their item. Or the ones who start screaming at me randomly in Chinese for reasons unknown while I calmly explain to them that I don't speak Chinese, however someone will be able to help them at the service desk. They keep screaming, give me death stares and eventually leave muttering.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
jhakka said:
Am I the only one who realises that "Closed" means "Please leave because we want to lock the doors"? We had this woman last night shopping for 25 minutes after we officially closed. ARGH!
I used to haaate that. I'd be closing the doors and people would say "Are you closing?" or they'd knock on the glass after everything was locked.
I had to explain to one woman that no, I would not be serving any more customers because we are CLOSED. She was sitting across the road at the pub and waited until I was closing the doors to come and get a drink. Stupid. I'm not working unpaid overtime for you.

I've found that businesses tend to let people inside when they are open. So if you can't easily get in, it's closed. Live with it and turn up earlier next time.

CieL

HSC
Argh, bag checks have been pissing me off [again]. I get so many difficult customers. And they're all men!!

First guy was some hobo with one of those gym bags which are as big as the country road bags. I asked to inspect inside, and he just chucks it in the area where i put all the packed groceries and tells me to
Him: Go for it
Me: Sorry, I'm not actually allowed to touch your bag. Will you open it for me so I can look inside?
Him: I just told you to go for it.
Me: I just asked you to open it for me.
Him: No, I don't want to open it for you.
Me: I'm not allowed to touch it. Can you PLEASE open it for me. *the queue has extended*
Him: There's nothing inside.
Me: That's not the point. I need to look inside it.
Him: I don't -
Me: *gets furious, put both hands on the counter and leans closer* *In a slow, loud, and pissed off voice [so i can humiliate him in front of other customers]* Excuse me sir. I have just told you SEVERAL TIMES that I am NOT ALLOWED to touch your belongings. So I would APPRECIATE IT if you would just OPEN your bag to let me INSPECT INSIDE.

I think he finally got the point that I was fucking pissed off at him. My manager giggled behind me whilst she was stocking the cigarettes and told me she could see the fumes coming out of my ears. I have a really short temper with annoying strangers.

Second guy was a smart ass. He had a huge shoulder bag which could fit a laptop and a few textbooks. Usually when you ask for a bag check, people would show you their main compartment. This jerk would only open his sunglasses, pen, waterbottle compartments to piss me off and only opened the main compartment at the very end when I once again got very annoyed. I appreciate you showing all the places you COULD of hidden stuff, but I seriously don't have time for jokes in peak hour. The longer you hold up my line, the risk of getting yelled at by a retard who doesn't like to wait in a queue goes up.

EDIT: Oh, summary. Just do what the fuck I tell you to do, mmk.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
"Are you closed?"
"No but i'm about to, you can come in quickly and grab something"
"oh thankyou"
/takes 10minutes to buy one long-neck
me = not happy

bubbly89

HSC
I don't do this much but every time the show comes round for a few years I've been working selling show bags, money's not great but you get heaps of discounts for all the rides.

Most people there are great, if a little tired, but I just really hated it when some customer would give me the

"you're not doing your job correctly" spiel

It usually happened when there was about 20 people wanting to get show bags and she (usually a mummy) was upset because she had to wait in line and it was hot. I felt like screaming.

Or those people who wait in line for 20 minutes and when it comes to their time to be served they still haven't made up their minds, but that's okay I can understand, until they demand I not serve any of the 20 people behind them until THEY'RE served all while they haven't made up their minds...

or the

"you're not very professional"

I felt like screaming, "lady you're at a carnival, buying a showbag. When you're demanding professionalism- try not to turn up with too tight pants, hair everywhere, in 35 degree heat, with candy floss- cos I can't take you seriously"

Argh

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
Second guy was a smart ass. He had a huge shoulder bag which could fit a laptop and a few textbooks. Usually when you ask for a bag check, people would show you their main compartment. This jerk would only open his sunglasses, pen, waterbottle compartments to piss me off and only opened the main compartment at the very end when I once again got very annoyed.
hahahaha

props to the guy

greekgun

HSC
You know what really pisses me off, when your working up on the cash registers, and u finish serving one customer, and then u start serving the next customer, and u try to put her bags u packed on the second conveyer belt but u cant because the previous customer is there taking her sweet time putting things back in her/his wallet, checking if items are packed properly.

Rule= Once i served you, take ur bags and go. If u are there for more then 10 secs, i will get pissed. And when asked to plz move along dont glare at me and say, well ur scanning too fast slow down. WTF!!!! Im scanning fast so u can get out of here quicker. ITS MY JOB!!! RAWR

End of rant

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
mm i hate when customers complain about the speed of things when a)you're doing your job well and b)you can't do anything to change it. i worked at the election last year and this guy was complaining loudly about the queue and when it was his turn he told me to "fetch someone else to help, this line is ridiculous". i wanted to slap him. There were only two of us at the ordinary vote desk and my partner was on her well deserved break, so i sure as hell wasn't going to leave a bunch of waiting people in an empty polling room to fetch her from wherever she'd gone. I was working as fast as I could and it wasn't my fault that it had suddenly gotten busy.

He then complained about the lack of polling booths (there were 3), which i tried to explain was because it was a small polling place (we only recieved about 600 votes the whole day). He wasn't having any of it. Meanwhile the queue was getting longer and i hadn't even been able to ask him his details yet.

And after all that it turned out he was in the wrong queue anyway and i sent him over to the provisional vote lady. aaaargh. money was worth it though :D

Evilo

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
And after all that it turned out he was in the wrong queue anyway and i sent him over to the provisional vote lady. aaaargh. money was worth it though :D
lolz, thats the stuff revenge is made of. I love doing those sort of things.

CieL

HSC
Evilo said:
"Are you closed?"
"No but i'm about to, you can come in quickly and grab something"
"oh thankyou"
/takes 10minutes to buy one long-neck
me = not happy
Yeah, usually when they come in close to close time... for example about 2-3mins before close, they ask, then I go "you got 2mins. quick quick quick!! Chop chop!"
Then they start running.
Only way it works. If you tell them politely, they take their sweet ass time.

Evilo

HSC
yeah i just thought, the doors all half closed, the window shutters down, and the till open being counted was a big enough clue. But oh well, i expected too much.
Actually from working in retail, it has just shown how stupid the general population is. The "this person votes" segment on the chaser always crosses my mind when talking to these stupid customers.

But thankgod that was my last shift today.

Evilo

HSC
nah going interstate to uni [again], i still have to stay onside because i havent got my pay sorted but yeah Hopefully it will be my last retail job ever.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
elisabeth said:
For fast food:

1. If there's a long line, there is NO excuse for not knowing what you want by the time you're being served. Don't hold up the line for ages because you're an idiot who can't make up your mind.

2. Be nice to your server. It is the difference between getting free sauces, extra napkins and hot chips, as opposed to me scraping the chip dump for all the old ones that have been there for a while.

3. If you're at Oporto, don't order a fucking bondi burger "without the chilli". If you can't read the menu and you're rude about it, I will pointedly explain the difference and make you look dumb in front of your gf.

4. I hate this, for couples: if I look you in the eye and ask politely what drink you'd like, don't whisper it do your partner and make him/her to tell me. I asked you, dammit!

5. Don't slap your money down on the counter when my hand is outstretched. It's really rude. Would I do the same thing with your change?

6. If I tell you upfront there will be a 5 minute wait while your food is cooked fresh and ask if that's OK, you have the choice to walk away and eat somewhere else if this is a major inconvenience for you. Don't roll your eyes and glare at me the whole time because there is nothing I can do about it and I've given you fair warning.

Pharmacy:

1. When I ask politely "if you've got your medicare card on you..." it's not because I think you're trying to cheat the system. I don't care if you've "been coming here for ages, I should be on the computers" but IT'S THE LAW. It's my job to check and there are signs all over the counter saying this. Doctors sometimes make mistakes, people get new cards... and then who'd be the first one to bitch about paying more because your card number came up wrong?

2. Do not get aggressive with me because the pharmacist won't sell you whatever drug you're after.

3. Please don't completely muck up all the shelves and sunglasses stands. If you do, try and at least look apologetic about it?

4. Unless you buy something big/heavy, most pharmacies will put your purchase in a paper bag. When I ask "would you like a bag for that?", it's almost always referring to a paper bag. So if you would like a plastic, no worries, just please ask BEFORE I've taped up your pills and scripts in a paper bag. The first few times, no biggie. But when you're a regular customer and this happens every time, it gets annoying.

5. If there's just me and the owner there and the doors are down, we're closed and only let you in because of his goodwill. Once you've paid, don't hang around trying on sunglasses because we're CLOSED. Go home so I can do the same! I don't get paid to hang around while you do.

Ahh.. writing that brought up all these memories of crappy customers. Hopefully everyone who reads this thread will recognise and lose a few of their own bad habits as customers.
I hate fast food no.5. It just makes me wanna chop their hands off when they do that.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
I've said it before, but people are still retarded.

When you call me for help with your computer issues, it would be really lovely if you would give me your name and location first up. Even just "Hi, this is *first name, from *site*" will do. Launching into "Oh, my computer turned off and now it wont start up again" isn't entirely polite. I know I'm here to help, but I'm also a person who is able to interact with you, hence manners are a plus.

And another thing, I am not your slave. If I say I'll do something it doesn't always mean its part of my job. Sometimes I do things to help out a customer that is simple enough, but is completely out of my jurisdiction, so don't act like an arrogant arse when I'm helping you. It just makes me less inclined to go the extra mile.

Skeeta

HSC
Evilo said:
well if he yells at you, i'd yell back. If hes going to play smartass and say you have to stay back (beyond the 10 minutes), then you're going to start charging him for every 15min it takes for customers to leave the store.

I used to be nice, but now i know how 'retail' stuffs you around.

EDIT - I ended up having this argument with the manager "10 minutes is fine, but after that, i'm out of here. I've worked to the best of my ability (which is true) for the hours specified, and you and i know staying 'till half past without pay is unfair". He shut up, paid me the half hour, and said that from then on he would start my shifts at quarter past, so they would end, 15 minutes after closing time. problem solved
I did that. My first shift opening the shop (rostered on and paid from 6am), i turned up precisely at 6am to start work.

My boss questioned me the next day why I was half an hour late. He said "I turn up at 5.30am to set up the shop, we often have customers here at 5.30"

Said "sorry, roster said 6am, how was I to know?"

I now get paid from 5.30am. Go me.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
shinji said:
agreed.

except i work more than 15hrs a week. lol; was doing 27hours average last yaer 2nd semester. stupid new manager ~_~'
.....your my hero :)

greekgun

HSC
This has probably been said 1 million times on this thread but i need to vent. Stupid bitch lady just comes up to me and dumps her basket right infront of me and expects for me to un pack for her. Then she has the nerve to ignore me how she? And then i asked her if she had FB and she didnt say anything. After the transaction she pulled out her FB and asked for me to put it in the transaction- so i just grabed it and scanned it and pretended it went through. Then she just left and didnt even bother to take the basket of the conveyer belt. Rule: unpack your groceries- if u do this it will b so much easier for us to pack the soft stuff with the soft, and hard with the hard.
I think someone said in a previous post that they just turn over the whole baskets and let all the stuff fall out and then pack it...i might start doing that.
:mad: :mad: :mad: End of rant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)