Rudd's $42 billion 'nation building' plan (1 Viewer)

Joel8945

HSC
Uni students who get youth allowance will also get paid $950, I work so I aint on centrelink. boohoo =(.
Are you serious? If that is true...YAY!!! What should I do with this money? Pay off my HEC's or buy uni text books.

sam_553817

HSC
Think I've worked out how to get the student payment if you're just starting study this year and not yet on youth allowance:

Training and Learning Bonus

The Government's $511 million Training and Learning Bonus provides an up-front, one-off bonus to eligible students to assist with the costs for the 2009 academic year. It also provides a temporary (until June 2010) additional incentive for social security recipients to return to education and training.
The Training and Learning Bonus consists of two categories:
Category 1

• A one-off $950 bonus for recipients of: Youth Allowance (students and apprentices); Austudy; ABSTUDY and related payments
  • The one-off bonus will also be available to recipients of Sickness Allowance and Special Benefit (under age pension age).
  • If a student attracts the Government's Back to School Bonus they are not eligible for the one-off $950 Learning and Training Bonus.
Category 2

• A temporary supplement (from 1 January 2009 to 30 June 2010) to the Education Entry Payment (EdEP) of $950. This is in addition to the existing EdEP payment of $208, which provides assistance with the costs of training courses, for income support recipients who are returning to study.
  • A temporary extension (from 1 January 2009 to 30 June 2010) of the EdEP to Youth allowance (other); and
  • A temporary relaxation (from 1 January 2009 to 30 June 2010) of the requirement that recipients must have been receiving social security payments from 12 months to 1 month.
Category 2 is where you would fit in:

Sign up for Youth Allowance now, or anytime between now and 30/6/2010, receive one month of payments, then sign up for the EdEP payment and you should get it. More infor on EdEP here:

How do I Qualify for Education Entry Payment?

You'll actually get more than $950, you'll get 950 + 208 = $1,158, but the $208 is taxable, the $950 isn't though. More info here:

Press Release - $950 One-off Cash Bonus to Support Jobs [03/02/2009]

And see the link at the bottom of that one to the "Fact Sheets" which give all the details.

Of course if Macom has his way.....

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
why would u pay off you hecs instead of buying text books? you would rather pay off something that can just go into a debt with no interest than buy books that u need and cant really get without cash? $950 would only cover like 1 subject anyway

Joel8945

HSC
what if your an 18 year old TAFE student who starts this year?
I think as long as you get youth allowance you will get it. Because you are a student you will fit the category aslong as you get youth allowance or Austudy, etc. I think!

Joel8945

HSC
I'm about to enter first year uni without a part time job. will i get the $950?
Same here. But I get youth allowance! If you recieve youth allowance I think you will. I hope so! My uni text books will cost atleast $800.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
the parasite, the parasite from bioshock!!!!

I see what you did there mr schoedinger

Joel8945

HSC
I hope they extend the 14K first home owners grant for another year or so.
I hope that they keep it out for atleast 5 years! Once I finish my degree and earn a fairly decent income I will want to buy an appartment so I can build up assets.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
Anyone that actually wants this payment is a despicable parasite that exists to tear down the hard work of others.
Hey, better me get the payment and get some of my own tax back than the fucking abos/bogans/scum/muslims/unemployed/youth allowance fucks getting it eh?

КГБ

Banned
HSC
Hey, better me get the payment and get some of my own tax back than the fucking abos/bogans/scum/muslims/unemployed/youth allowance fucks getting it eh?
fuck u dickhead

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
lol

yeah i know they have jobs but ur still fucking hilarious to troll

Edit: i was srs though

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Anyone that actually wants this payment is a despicable parasite that exists to tear down the hard work of others.
eh, i'd rather it didn't go ahead

but if every other bastard is getting it, i want one too

plus, it's basically just compensation for the interest i'm losing on my savings, lol

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aMXR7NQ0J8ws&refer=home

Retail sales surge most in 8 years, 3.8%

Stimulus works apparently.

If one stimulus package is good.
And two is better.

Why stop at two? We've got another few years of Rudd government, economic crisis, 2 seems like quite an arbitrary number to say "okay, enough stimulus".

Can we expect X more stimulus packages as soon as retail sales inevitably slump?

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I'm a bit weary of this $42billion splurge... It's good to see the money used on schools and such, but giving individuals $950???
Whether it's $950 or $1900 for half of the people eligible, it's not the individual amount that's of concern, but the total cost of the package.

I mean, what are we meant to do with it? I'm personally putting it away. =]
You're supposed to spend it to stimulate the economy, not save it.

It would be nice to have a politician who is realistic and teaches financial responsibility and accountability.
We are heading for a recession. Saving will hurt us, spending will help us.

All of us really need a slap in the face for allowing ourselves to get into debts, our greedy consumerism, and taking on board this "have it all now and pay later" attitude.
I'm not in debt (apart from HECS), and I don't have a 'buy now pay later' attitude.

HSC
BLUE CHAMELOEN YOU ARE CLEARLY PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE GLOBAL RECESSION JUST SHUT UP AND aDMIT IT

КГБ

Banned
HSC
arabs lost $4 trillion dollars due to the global financial crisis.

LULZ

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Immediately, Kevin Rudd gave notice he would spend more if it meant staving off recession.

"This Government will never haul up the white flag on the inevitability of recession," the Prime Minister said.

Saving the nation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)