Rudd Immigration Plan: A Cultural Divide? (1 Viewer)

Should the Rudd immigration plan be adapted?

• No, it should remain the same. It is after all quite reasonable in its objectives.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Yes, the number of immigrants should be decreased substantially.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Yes, the number of immigrants should be increased substantially.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I don't know. I don't mind either way.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

impervious182

HSC
The Rudd government is implementing Australia's largest ever immigration plan over the next three years. The plan, it has been suggested by Kevin Rudd, may be reduced in light of the economic situation.
Commentator Andrew Bolt (0ctober 8 2008):

"EVEN on the day it was announced, the Rudd Government's plan to import a million extra people in just three years seemed stupid.

Now, as stock markets melt and shares shrivel, it's positively dangerous"
So it begs a few fundamental questions:
  1. Do you agree with the plan, which is the largest immigration intake the country will have ever had, over such a short time frame. (3 years, 1 million people)
  2. If it should be decreased in light of the economic situation, by how much? (to 200,000 or 0?)
  3. Has the immigration policy of the past and present caused a cultural divide in Australia?
  4. And if so, what should be done to combat this divide? Just to prompt discussion Singapore's government use quotas for each area, so that self-isolating 'ghettos' do not form.
Just to note, these questions are just here to prompt discussion. Please remain reasonable and courteous.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Hi, I'm Andrew Bolt

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Should Andrew Bolt shut the fuck up and neck himself:

[X] Yes
[ ] No

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Both Rudd and Howard saw the need for increased immigration.

We're talking Europeans and shit here, not just MUSLIM ARAB TERRORIST AFRICAN BABY EATERS, ok?

More immigration is exactly what we need right now (and in the future). Hopefully they also make lots of babies cause we're starting to slow down.

YET ANOTHER LOW-QUALITY THREAD FROM ALEXDORES

impervious182

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Ummm don't you believe in free markets. The mere announcement of such a policy would be a signal that rents will rise and would spur the construction of new housing. It could be done if we stopped over regulating the housing industry.

----------------------------------------

Also, I don't know where the OP got 1 million over 3 years from.

This article mentions 190 000 per year. Plus they have already said they will scale it back given the economic climate which makes sense: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24531403-5013871,00.html

As for the "cultural divide" that's just garbage. I can't wait for racist morons clinging to their bizarre ideas to die off.
Sorry, I provided the link but should have expanded on that:

"Rudd's May Budget set a new target for permanent migrants for this financial year: 190,300 places, or 20 per cent more than last year.

And it didn't stop there. Add to those migrants some 110,000 workers brought out each year now on temporary visas, or almost triple the number of just four years ago.

Add also 13,500 refugees and asylum-seekers, and some 20,000 New Zealanders, and you can see we have an immigration plan that's about to smash into some nasty realities.

How could it be otherwise? That makes more than 330,000 people we'll import each year under Rudd, for a net intake each year close to Britain's 191,000, even though we have just a third of its population" Andrew Bolt

As for the cultural divide. I simply mean, that there is already a cultural divide emerging in Australia. The Camden event would be an example of the instance rearing its ugly head. The Bondi riots would be another example.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Ummm don't you believe in free markets. The mere announcement of such a policy would be a signal that rents will rise and would spur the construction of new housing. It could be done if we stopped over regulating the housing industry.
I do when it suits me :p

I just don't think it'll happen fast enough to handle the million-people-that-is-apparently-not-a-million-people

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I find it pretty funny that Kwayera thinks this is detrimental to the economy... in times of hardship when construction of new homes etc is going down it is quite clever to import new labour into the country who will need communities built for them. Now obviously just cramming these people into areas that are already overcrowded without significant investment will just result in greater hardship, but I doubt that's the idea.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Trefoil said:
More immigration is exactly what we need right now (and in the future). Hopefully they also make lots of babies cause we're starting to slow down.
Why?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Enteebee said:
I find it pretty funny that Kwayera thinks this is detrimental to the economy... in times of hardship when construction of new homes etc is going down it is quite clever to import new labour into the country who will need communities built for them.
I just think it's too many people over far too short a timeframe.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Do you agree with the plan, which is the largest immigration intake the country will have ever had, over such a short time frame.
No

If it should be decreased in light of the economic situation, by how much?
At least 950,000, probably more.

Has the immigration policy of the past and present caused a cultural divide in Australia?
Yes

And if so, what should be done to combat this divide?
Stop letting so many people in. We should only be accepting people that have skills or expertise we can't do without.

impervious182

HSC
Enteebee said:
I find it pretty funny that Kwayera thinks this is detrimental to the economy... in times of hardship when construction of new homes etc is going down it is quite clever to import new labour into the country who will need communities built for them. Now obviously just cramming these people into areas that are already overcrowded without significant investment will just result in greater hardship, but I doubt that's the idea.
I'm not sure about that, I have to agree with Kwayera for once. What will these people do when they've constructed new homes? Unemployment is already set to sky-rocket.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
decrease. c'mon, anyone that voted increase in this current economic climate is a retard shit.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Trefoil said:
Both Rudd and Howard saw the need for increased immigration.

We're talking Europeans and shit here, not just MUSLIM ARAB TERRORIST AFRICAN BABY EATERS, ok?
WTF? this from you?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Enteebee said:
It depends. Immigrants come in 3 sizes: humanitarian, economic, family reunion
There are powerful lobby groups of immigrants working to increase the family quota, but there is some evidence that this group is a drain on the economy.

Would like to see the quota numbers, if Dept of Imm deigns to release.

impervious182

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Australia does not have a fixed pool of jobs. More workers create more jobs. In light of recent economic conditions we have to be careful with migration. But in the long term, we should be increasing our working population through migration.
Yes, but how will importing people with no money, and perhaps, no skills increase the amount of jobs?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Alright. 1 million.

Suppose that is correct.

The market would find a way. For instance, if new housing can't be constructed fast enough rents rise so people let out spare rooms in their homes and people become more inclined to economize on space by sharing rooms ect.

In the short term this might be considered a "crisis." The media would certainly portray it as such. Construction would soon catch up and as new constructions flood the market rents would fall again.

In terms of housing affordability, the greatest problem is not immigration. Its the government over regulating the construction of new homes. Height restrictions on new buildings, ridiculously time consuming, expensive red tape and inconsistent, arbitrary council regulations are a huge part of the problem!
I don't know. 3 years? I agree about overregulation (except when it comes to EIS), but it makes me uneasy to rely on the market "finding a way".

It's a really, really short period of time.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
19 May 2008: 7.30 Report

KERRY O’BRIEN: On immigration, the Budget reveals an extra 31,000 skilled migrants coming into Australia in the next year. 190,000 migrants all together. That’s permanent. And another 100,000 a year on temporary work visas. Nearly 300,000 people to process and to settle within a year. Your Immigration Minister Chris Evans has flagged, ‘a great national debate’ on immigration over the next few years, he says the system is creaking at the moment, needs an urgent, serious overhaul, because it is based on a model that is out of date. Does Senator Evans reflect your thinking on this issue?

PM: Well Senator Evans’ conclusion, including the increase in the skilled migration component by some 30,000 plus, comes obviously out of the Cabinet deliberation. We have had this matter through cabinet on many occasions. And what are we are responding to, the fact that our predecessors didn’t have a skills policy. We arrived in Government with the highest inflation rate in 16 years, a skills shortage and infrastructure bottlenecks. What do you do about it?

Well, you produce a responsible budget for the long term to deal with the inflation challenge. Secondly, on skills policy, you invest in education, skills and training. But that doesn’t deal with the immediate challenge, so you up your skilled migration. And thirdly, as we have done today with the announcement on Infrastructure Australia, you begin to act on infrastructure bottlenecks. We have a systematic response to the problems that we have been given.

KERRY O’BRIEN: Yeah. But the issue I am talking about, isn’t so much the 31,000. I am talking about his comments that the system is creaking at the moment, needs an urgent, this is the whole immigration system, needs an urgent serious overhaul because it is based on a model that is out of date. Does he reflect your thinking on that?

PM: Well, when we are trying to deal with, this is where I am sure Chris is coming from, when we are trying to deal with the overall skills demands of the economy, I think what he is saying and certainly what we are saying as a Government is, it has been a long, long time since a Government nationally has projected ahead and said, in a years time, two years time, three years time, ten years time, what will be the aggregate skills demands for the economy, and broadly and what sectors. And, how do we actually mesh our education, skills and training system with that on the one hand, with our migration program on the other. It has not been done in a sufficiently long term, structured, planned way up until now. And we think it is time it was highly done that way. Is the immigration department up to that task at present? That’s where he is probably saying it is creaking and groaning at the seams because a lot is being asked of it, including answering questions which haven’t been put to it for quite some time.

KERRY O’BRIEN: Well just on that point, the department, as we will all remember, that will be overseeing nearly 300,000 migrants coming through just next year. It is not so long ago that the department was shredded by the Palmer report as dysfunctional after all those refugee scandals. Are you confident that the department is up to managing those sorts of numbers?

PM: Well, it takes a while to turn around the Queen Mary. As I said in five months you can’t fix the problems of more than a decade, but we know that the economy needs this sort of support. Therefore, we’ll do the best we can with the machinery of state that we have been handed. It is going to be tough. But I have looked at the response from the industry groups across the country. In WA, right across the Master Builders Association and the Australian Industry Group and others, they have applauded the measure that we have introduced.

I notice also, immigration numbers have increased quite significantly under the previous government. That has occurred of course, with our bipartisan support, as I assume this expansion would occur with their bipartisan support as well.
http://www.pm.gov.au/media/interview/2008/interview_0252.cfm

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
alexdore993 said:
Howard was in a little longer than Rudd has been.
I don't make a habit of ripping on people, but ffs you're a moron.

Clearly I was implying, as it says in the article I provided a direct to, the rudd government has rejected 97.6% of all asylum seeker applications, the highest rate since 2001.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)