• yes

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • no

Votes: 101 55.5%

• Total voters

SpinCobra

HSC
Uni Grad
Heaps of people can solve rubik's cubes. You just have to memorize a few algorithms. More if you wanna speed cube, and even more if you're one of those crazy people that go for records. =.=

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Permutations

They really aren't that hard to solve. As has been previously mentioned, the hardest thing about them is solving them quickly. It is interesting to note however, that the standard 3x3x3 rubik's cube can have (8! × 3<SUP>8−1</SUP>) × (12! × 2<SUP>12−1</SUP>)/2 = 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 different positions or permutations. Approximately 4.3x10<SUP>19. </SUP>

Hatta

HSC
I've been trying to learn how to solve them, but stupid exams interrupted.

I have a Sudoku rubics cube. It's awesome. Even though it's easier than real Sudoku because you don't have to worry about getting the number in only one row/column. It's just the same as getting one square of colour on each side... but it looks pretty.

conics2008

HSC
LoL I always solve the rubix cube on the trains from liverpool to merrylands mon-friday lol its a good time killler =)

Rubix Cube is easssyyy !

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
i'm pretty sure that if you reverse one edge cube, then it becomes unsolvable. My friend did that to me once. He asked me to speed cube him (that was when i could do it in about 1.5min) , but before that, he borrowed my cube and switched a block around. evil evil.

HSC
N/A
guruj790 said:
hello kurt physics
the only closely related branch behind solving the cube is possibly series and sequences lol....
but in all seriousness, i can do the cube... i taught myself using the internet, took bout 2 weeks, and then it is purely memory based. at first took me about 5 mins to get it downpacked, now my PB is 56 seconds. to do the cube it is just a patternistic way of turning the cube.... check this site out if u wan2 learn, its gun:
http://www.puzzlesolver.com/puzzle.php?id=29
WtF, "series and sequences"? "School of lies", indeed.

Imprecisely, but accurately, it's called combinatorics (which encompasses the high-school topic permutations and combinations).
Zrap said:
Remove and change the stickers.
OP said " Does anyone know how to solve them without either: a) Randomly rotating the block; b) Ripping the squares off and rearanging them to work".
... so, GTFO.

Kurt, if you want to know these work, see here: http://www.nmss.org.au/
Chances are, you are more than able to attend this event. ;)

How many do it; remember X-many different configurations for layer n, and apply it y times, and repeat. Being this formulaic, it's quite a matter of memory-work.

Last edited:

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
WtF, "series and sequences"? "School of lies", indeed.

Imprecisely, but accurately, it's called combinatorics (which encompasses the high-school topic permutations and combinations).

OP said " Does anyone know how to solve them without either: a) Randomly rotating the block; b) Ripping the squares off and rearanging them to work".
... so, GTFO.

Kurt, if you want to know these work, see here: http://www.nmss.org.au/
Chances are, you are more than able to attend this event. ;)

How many do it; remember X-many different configurations for layer n, and apply it y times, and repeat. Being this formulaic, it's quite a matter of memory-work.
I only use algorithms for the third layer. I've once solved it without any algorithms, but it was VERY hard.

On a side note, does anybody know how to do the larger varieties, such as the 4x4x4 and the 5x5x5?

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
NovaAesa said:
Nice LOL I love the music. 1 minute 15 is pretty good, my record is about 50 seconds on the 3x3x3. The larger varieties take exponentially longer, which is pretty much expected. I did an 8x8x8 online and it was a ballbreaker, not necessarily because it was difficult, but because doing it online takes an AWFULLY long time.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
To make it unsolveable just make two middle squares the same colour.

ColdBuffet

HSC
I used to be able to solve one before the summer holidays. My PB was around 25 seconds. You don't use maths to solve it. You memorise certain moves (algorithms) to shift pices into place. Before the summer holidays, I knew over 100 algorithms, but I haven't touched the cube since then, so now I can't even solve a cube anymore (forgotten pretty much all the algorithms).

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
ColdBuffet said:
I used to be able to solve one before the summer holidays. My PB was around 25 seconds. You don't use maths to solve it. You memorise certain moves (algorithms) to shift pices into place. Before the summer holidays, I knew over 100 algorithms, but I haven't touched the cube since then, so now I can't even solve a cube anymore (forgotten pretty much all the algorithms).
My uni is full of cubing freaks, including myself. We get bored during lectures, so we just start solving cubes. lol

conics2008

HSC
pssssssssssst!

rubics cube is easy!

i can solve it with one hand.. best time ever i did using 2 hands is 46 secs =]

conics2008

HSC
ColdBuffet said:
what Algoraithms you speak off!!!

you dont need any speical moves to solve the first two layers. only last layer depends on how fast you can apply those list of movements...

first two layers can be solved using current position of the cube...

i would say i take abit longer on the last layer, then the first two layers.

HSC
Aerath said:
Or smash it apart and rearrange it by rebuilding the blocks.
yess that seems like more fun then doin some logic and maths to work it out haha and sure beats just randomly moving it till u eventually by luk get it

zzdfa

HSC
Alot of people at my school walk around solving these. its annoying, most of them think theyre so good because they can apply some algorithm they got off the net.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
zzdfa said:
Alot of people at my school walk around solving these. its annoying, most of them think theyre so good because they can apply some algorithm they got off the net.
someones insecure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)