Routers and Modems? (1 Viewer)

superkurtas

HSC
Essentially my main problem with the IPT course and exams, is questions relating to how pieces of hardware work, the main ones being routers and modems.

I know they connect the computer to the Internet and to a network, but i've never really been clear on what physical process they do (that get so frequently asked in those long answer questions).

So if someone could give me a definitive explanation of what these devices do i would be hugely appreciative!:)

SamD

HSC
N/A
Try downloading Chapter 3 - Communication chapter - of my soon to be released IPT HSC text - www.pedc.com.au

Unfortunately the final text probably wont be out in time to be of much use to you guys!

Regards,
Sam Davis

boblemur

HSC
ok well, i didnt know u had to go into very specific detail about how it works. but first modem is made up of two words. modulate and demodulate basicly meaning...it takes the digital sigle passed to it from say the router/computer and converts it into an analogue waveform, so it can be sent down ur tellecom lines etc... then it needs to do the opposite with incomming data...

i doubt ull need to know much more than that about modems...maybe the diffrent protocols....but i have no idea wat they are :p so dont ask....

router: if they ask u a question about this, its usualy more like the diffrences between a router/switch/hub/gateway/bridge

first the router: basicly think of some guy trying to climb a mountain...he will have a router with him(a person)...and his job is to find the easiest way up the mountain....a computer router does the same for ur network, it will find a free path for transmittion and it will take that. (this is oftern associated with packet switching)

hub: a hub is a peice of networking hardware that will recieve data and resend it to ALL of the nodes attatched to it. ie. any data sent to a specific hub, will end up being sent to every node attatched to it, regardless of which node the data is addressed to.

Switch: is a smart hub basicly....this means that it will find who the data is addressed to, and will send it only to that node, this means that u can send more data at the same time, because a data line is only being used when the node is actualy being sent data.

now for gateway and bridge. i use a lil story again :p

say u have two paddocs: if u have sheep in 1 and cows in the other...u put a gate between the two paddocs so that they cows and sheep cant mix...
but if u have sheep in each one, u dont care if they mix....so u put a bridge so they can freely walk back and forth :p

same goes for networks....two of the same network is joined by a bridge
two networks of diffrent protocols are joined by a gateway.

soz if i went on a bit :p hope it helps

Xenmae

HSC
a router and gateway are basically the same thing so explain eiter for the mark you need and mention that they can/may also be called router/gateway

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Xenmae said:
a router and gateway are basically the same thing so explain eiter for the mark you need and mention that they can/may also be called router/gateway
Routers maintain a table of routes for data to travel and is used for networks at a greater distance.

fooguru

HSC
SamD said:
Try downloading Chapter 3 - Communication chapter - of my soon to be released IPT HSC text - www.pedc.com.au

Unfortunately the final text probably wont be out in time to be of much use to you guys!

Regards,
Sam Davis
Gee thanks Sam Davis, dont try and answer the question or anything, just drop an advertisement for your new study text and go home. You can tell hes an IPT teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)