Romulus, My father - philosophical question? (1 Viewer)

harrietty

HSC
In Chapter 7, Gaita has this philosophical rant about character and personality.

Page 102-104; the question is;
Gaita's philosophical reflection on personality and character highlight attributes that are valued in relation to belonging to a society. How is this reflected in the characters in the memoir? Why are these two words emphasised in italics?

I am having difficulty understanding what he is defining as 'character' and what is 'personality'... Does anyone have a general idea about what he's saying in these few pages? Any help greatly appreciated.

DamTameNaken

HSC
Karakter is a persons inherent attributes such as honesty, tenacity, kindness, intelligence etc. Whereas personality is to do with how a person presents themselves such as funny or charming. Another difference is that character can't be faked whereas personality can.
The example he gives is that Christine has a personality but doesn't have character. This is because she is lazy and isn't considering of others i.e. no character. But she does have a recognizable personality such as being promiscuous.
In regards to belonging, someone is very likely to change their personality to belong but unlikely to change their character.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)