Romulus My Father Belonging (1 Viewer)

Anon4Real

HSC
What would be a main context of Belonging in "Romulus My Father"?

So far I have the context of commiting to family to belong

Does anyone else know any others?

funkinawesome

HSC
maybe - something to do with heritage- romulus goes back to his home country only to find it destroyed and changed beyond imagination. so possibly to be able to belong you have to have a sense of connectedness with your home.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
The cultural differences, connections to the land, mental illnesses, family, etc.

I think it's important to mention Romulus's and Raimond's connections with the land and how Romulus was never able to grow used to it while Raimond was drawn to it.

Holydraggon

HSC
Alright i'm no english wiz, but these are the topics ive covered.

Nationality - Romulus considering himself a romanain even though he is from yugoslavia. Also, the first thing he does in Cairn Curran is ask if there are any other Romanians. (this is how he meets Hora and Mitru)

Land - belonging to a land which can be seen in the early chapters. I can't remember the quote, but its something about missing the european land and plants (chapter 2-3)

Generation - This is where Romulus finds out about raimonds love for Elvis and gets angry. This anger comes from the generational divide that comes between them. Romulus only has his son left, so losing him is a scary thought. This also justifies why his beatings were so brutal. That is, because if his son grew up with bad morals then he would effectivly lose him.

Hope that helps, good luck

Sandyclaws

HSC
I'm currently studying Romulus, My Father.
A very interesting biography on belonging. So far I've only gotten as far as compiling summaries for chapters one and two, currently summarising chapter three. And my book is infront of me soo... I'll have heaps of info if your in need of it.

To me the belonging within the book has it's main roots within the first two chapters. Romulus B in the the poorer group of people within socitey during his life in Europe, moving from Romania - Yugoslavia - Germany and lastly to Australia where of course the majority of the book is set in. He belongs within a group of people that walk or travel for the most part of their lives - Peripatetic life in other words.
He B to his own form of educatiion being that he reads to indulge himself because he was not able to go to secondary school.
Religion is another place in which he B to - more of a spiritual faith rather then blind faith, Romulus became supicious of institutional religion and anti-clericalism.

His orginal career of being a blacksmith is a form of B - in the sense of B to a specific career yet still being an individual.
He B to the Slavic race of people.

Sooo there's some info... Lols.
Went over the top a tad...

volcoming

HSC
I neeeeeeed a related text for Romulus...something that will fit in really well...? Anyone

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
The influx of immigrants in rural areas led to their alienation in a still developing Australia and also acceptance furthered by the migrant experience within the immigrant community.

yugi

HSC
Dislocating effects of mental illness
Dislocating effects of migration
Problems faced by migrants

zaefr

HSC
the really deep one is how raimond gains a sense of identity from his father's teachings and values.

imo the alienation from australian culture and landscape idea is too simplistic, there's not much u can evaluate from there apart from the fact that romulus stays true to his own values while christine doesnt - oh yea talk about christine and romulus' relationship
but yea you could make a point that while the landscape continually provides romulus social and emotional marginalisation, it shapes raimond's appreciation of beauty (think im rambling off my essay here...)

but yea u can mention the migrants and stuff, but dont let it dominate ur essay - nearly 90% of ppl doing the text talk about that

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Christina is a displaced socialite in a rural landscape and Romulus trying to acheive a sense of belonging with his homeland in Australia by trying to marry Lydia.

volcoming

HSC
Romulus and his family are actually surprisingly accepted by the community of Frogmore.
There's no real social alienation apart from the language barriers. Romulus is seen as a hard working, honest and helpful man by his neighbors and the other town folk. Christine is, however, despised off by a number of people around town due to her attitude to Raimond and the general running of the family (never cooks etc). The idea of immigration, in this memoir, is focused greatly on the difficulties to belong to the environment, or in the case of the rubric, the landscape.

Thats why I've chosen some well known poems that deal with the Australian landscape such as 'My Country'.

Last edited:

JaffaP

HSC
To me, the most substantial concept of belonging is that of the intraspective, or 'personal'.

Both Romulus and Raimond are stark examples of how 'personal belonging', or in other words 'self identity' is the foundation on which you build your external visage.

For Romulus, the story is all about his struggle to maintain his identity. The book is forth-most a retell of what Romulus sacrifices in the name of conformity and acceptance, but even more so; what he refuses to alter (the pretence of pride, morality, ethics and value most significantly). Romulus is in constant battle with his own identity throughout the book, the social, cultural alienation/belonging are mere stimuli which help to mould his perception of his roll and position within society, family and most of all; self.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)