Romanticism (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
We were asked to pick our module and chose Romanticism. We're doing Keats, Coleridge and Wuthering Heights.

If anyone's stuck for extra texts, consider 'Faust' (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe) -- it's fantastic and very Romantic. Although it's quite hard to read, it will give you an advantage if you can get help with it from your teacher, because the BoS might not even know what you're talking about!
I'm also doing some of Grimm's Fairy Tales and a Tim Burton movie (maybe Corpse Bride or Edward Scissorhands). Your related texts don't have to be set in the Romantic era, right?
No, but it's better if they do. Rather than saying a 21st century film or book reflects Romantic thinking, it's better to find something from the era and then you don't have to justify your choice as much -- it's right there in black and white that the text is from that time. My Ext.1 teacher was saying that even Romantic paintings are good texts because you're not just exploring the depth of the literature, you're exploring the historical period, and paintings can actually express alot.

Just an idea?

Artemis_ephesus

HSC
No, but it's better if they do. Rather than saying a 21st century film or book reflects Romantic thinking, it's better to find something from the era and then you don't have to justify your choice as much -- it's right there in black and white that the text is from that time. My Ext.1 teacher was saying that even Romantic paintings are good texts because you're not just exploring the depth of the literature, you're exploring the historical period, and paintings can actually express alot.
Resonances of Romanticism are evident in so many modern texts, and if you explore those properly and in depth, link them back to social and political paradigm shifts, analyse the features of Romanticism properly, then you can do modern texts. The thing with Romantic era texts is that everyone is going to do the obvious. Choose something unique and intelligent and make yourself an expert on it.

Edited to add what I just also thought of:

What defines the beginning and the end of the Romantic era? Commonly accepted for a beginning date is 1798. Why? The Publication of Lyrical Ballads. But who defines the beginning? Who defines what is included in the Romantic canon? And when did the term Romantic come to exist as a critical, evaluative term? It's all about hegemony and power. So even if you're doing a Romantic era text and you say you don't have to justify your choice, you're wrong. You do need to justify your choice.

Last edited:

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Resonances of Romanticism are evident in so many modern texts, and if you explore those properly and in depth, link them back to social and political paradigm shifts, analyse the features of Romanticism properly, then you can do modern texts. The thing with Romantic era texts is that everyone is going to do the obvious. Choose something unique and intelligent and make yourself an expert on it.

Edited to add what I just also thought of:

What defines the beginning and the end of the Romantic era? Commonly accepted for a beginning date is 1798. Why? The Publication of Lyrical Ballads. But who defines the beginning? Who defines what is included in the Romantic canon? And when did the term Romantic come to exist as a critical, evaluative term? It's all about hegemony and power. So even if you're doing a Romantic era text and you say you don't have to justify your choice, you're wrong. You do need to justify your choice.

Can't help feeling you may be thinking a little too hard into this.

I agree with what you're saying. What i'm trying to steer people clear of is making shallow assumptions on a modern-day text that has very little connection to notions of Romanticism, but may have similar themes.

I'm doing Possession as a core text, so i think the need for related texts in a modern day context is a little lessened for me?

Artemis_ephesus

HSC
An idea:

There's always been a Romantic Era.
Dun-dun-dun-DUNNNNNNN

And then I fail to justify myself.
I can see that. :haha:

Actually, I don't think there has been. I could go on a big long tangent here, but I have my half-yearly English AOS exam tomorrow and gotta go revise! That is, if I can get into town tomorrow... It's flooding up north.

beachee99

HSC
Argh , i got forced into romanticism by democracy :S

I wanted crime fiction or sci fi. I'm only keeping it now , as i need it for ee2 ... sadly the aspects of romanticism i like are the ones we don't go into great depth on.

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE DOING ROMANTICISM FOR EE2 ??

and what have people got as related texts ?

Artemis_ephesus

HSC
I'm kinda using my romanticism stuff for EE2 because mine's set in Germany in the early 1800s, but it's not really to do with romantic philosophy in itself. Just set in the general time.

kcrocks

HSC
My teacher is really great with Romanticism so I'm really glad my grade is doing it. I find it a lot more interesting than the modules in 2unit

KillerIsMe

Very Special Master
HSC
I hate how broad the questions are.
I have an essay to do now and it's like how do three Coleridge poems, Northanger Abbey and a chosen text reflect Romantic ways of thinking?
It's so difficult when there is so much to write about it's hardly a proper question.

What frustrated me most is we were given Northanger Abbey and studied Austen's satire of Romantic ways of thinking before we were told about romanticism itself, which made it difficult to understand.

And then our half yearly had no weighting cause my teacher is a moron, so I refused to show up to the exam because I had 5 exams in 4 days and it was right in the middle, which resulted in the exam being given out as a take home task.

Extension was so much fun last year doing transformations and adaptations, Romanticism and a teacher who should have retired 10 years ago is killing my life.

catherinet

HSC
I was going Romantic Poetry for EEX2.. but i changed my idea. At least now i have a good grasp of the concepts and i have read a shit load of stuff that can be used as related texts :)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
If anyone out there is doing Possession by AS Byatt, and is doing well, PLEASE pm me or something. I'm doing fairly well, but my teacher is a moron. I'm basically teaching myself right now.

ixswans

HSC
Unfortunately the Board of Studies isn't so inclined to agree with my own subjective opinions.
Then again, I don't really understand Romanticism at all.
What's the point of dedicating an entire year to studying irrationality?
No, I'm joking.. kind of. I just don't get what all the rage is with Romanticism. It's old-fashioned. Perhaps I'm being cynical, but I don't believe Romanticism has any place in today's world of technology and science.
Ahh, I diagree.

Nature is really the only thing that will stay constant in the lifetime of anything. Technology is created from the fruit of nature, everything is created from the natural and the organic, whichever form it may be in.

Romanticism may go in and out of fashion, but it is always valid.

MrsLucia

HSC
Romanticism and a teacher who should have retired 10 years ago is killing my life.
Tell me about it- I swear all the English teachers at my school are just faiiled writers whose sole aim in life is to push their stupidity into young minds. Every time I have Extension ENglish I have to talk myslef into going- I'd rather stick pins in my face, to be honest.

I just don't get what all the rage is with Romanticism. It's old-fashioned. Perhaps I'm being cynical, but I don't believe Romanticism has any place in today's world of technology and science.
Ah, but that is exactly why it does have a place in today's society.
The issues that Romanticism delves into are just as relevant now as they were in the beginnings of industralisation, if not more.
While I dislike Romanticism as a school topic, I find it interesting to think about.

We did Coleridge, Northanger Abbey and Wuthering Heights.
For Related texts I am thinking 'Into The Wild' and Thomas Cole's series of artworks 'The Voyage of Life'.

Last edited:

Fayad

HSC
Hey do you have your notes for Keats? I know this is like 12 years late but would appreciate a reply :spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)