Romanticism Imaginative Response?? (1 Viewer)

nat.nat.

HSC
I was just wondering about how to go about writing the imaginative response for Romanticism? What issues should be explored and what style should it be written in?

Thanks

M.T.T.

HSC
Don't set it in a haunted house.
Don't set it in a forest.

And then you'll be right.

Basically, with the creative writing task for this topic, it's going to be easy for you to fall into cliches.

Be original in setting, characters, plot, but don't be too subtle with the Romantic elements in the composition.

At some point, you'll find that perfect balance. Until then, just write as much short stories as you can. And then you'll probably need to find more plot/character/setting material, as a back-up plan if the exam question doesn't fit your prepared response.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I've done a few practices.

Go to victorianweb.org and just start clicking links and reading.

I ended up writing about a French prostitute living in Versailles at the time of the French Revolution. But I could easily adapt the characters depending on stimulus material provided. It's quite easy to weave in ideas about nature, individuality etc.

I think diary entry format is the way to go. Straight away you're expressing the Romantic idea of 'individual experience' etc etc.

PS- guess who!

MzBiiBii

HSC
I've done a few practices.

I think diary entry format is the way to go. Straight away you're expressing the Romantic idea of 'individual experience' etc etc.

PS- guess who!

are we allowed to write diary entrys?

I know we're not allowed poems

FrauDarcy

HSC
of course we can write diary entries - unless it specifies a text type one is free to do whatever - poems being a bad idea.
And MzBiiBii you do four unit english, you should know that the plural of "entry" is "entries".

But definitely first person is the best way to go, as then one may the more easily discuss feelings and opinions and so on.

In our trial our stimulus was a picture of an old book and I ended up in first person from the point of view of a young woman who emerges from a forest and discovers an abandoned chateau where there has been a scene of great carnage, searches around and finds the journal of the lady of the house, begins to read it, sees and hears disembodied footsteps and faints. Through the middle she was imagining herself as the lady in the tragic battle etc. It was all very tongue-in-cheek (I've read too much Austen), quite Northanger Abbey except that the dangers are real. So it was quite cliched but I got 21/25 for it, 2nd highest in my class.

So best to avoid cliches, but I've gotten away with it in the past thanks to good execution of the idea.

miumiu9

HSC
Hi! Love the idea of your creative, could you elaborate more on your ideas in reference to the Romantic paradigms etc? i.e. the reason why the woman fainted? and why it is symbolic? I'm working on a creative piece myself at the moment, and it'd be great to get some extra inspiration :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)