Romanticism creative writing (1 Viewer)

em_angel23

HSC
Ok, so i know that it is preferable not to use the setting of the time of Romanticism, so does that mean that we can utilise any context and various values as long as we include Romantic conventions and ideals?
thanks ;D

niloony

HSC
Actually our teacher told us you MUST use the time period in which romanticism flourished otherwise its unlikely you will embrace the same themes, tone etc that envisages romanticism (Ergo no band 5 or 6's for you =O...well band 3 or 4's since its 1 unit).

jules.09

HSC
Actually our teacher told us you MUST use the time period in which romanticism flourished otherwise its unlikely you will embrace the same themes, tone etc that envisages romanticism (Ergo no band 5 or 6's for you =O...well band 3 or 4's since its 1 unit).
+1

I suppose to stay on the safe side, use Romantic conventions, values, mannerisms, writing style, context... pretty much everything. You can project your own un-Romantic beliefs into it, and that would be undesirable.

Considering that we are in an age where there are so many readings available (marxist, feminist, post-structuralist etc.) and it is frequently studied through those paradigms, you might get a tad confused so...

Stick with the times. :p

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
yeah, definitely stick within the time period, it allows you more creative freedom in an already restrictive exam.

Artemis_ephesus

HSC
No, don't. It's dead boring.

Experiment with times, styles, language. Use some Romantic conventions, satirise others. Write something that's clever and shows that you know more about Romanticism than that it values nature and the individual.

Which themes would those be? I dare you to prove to me that you can't use those themes in a modern or even future context.

jellybelly59

HSC

Experiment with times, styles, language. Use some Romantic conventions, satirise others. Write something that's clever and shows that you know more about Romanticism than that it values nature and the individual.

Which themes would those be? I dare you to prove to me that you can't use those themes in a modern or even future context.
little late but definitely +1

ixswans

HSC
Re: Writing about Romantic conventions in a modern or futuristic setting, I'm always too shit scared to even attempt this.

If Romanticism is a way of thinking unique to the era in which it originated (coming from the syllabus here), how can we attempt to place the values into another setting without reagrding it as a genre (which it isn't)?

gnome66

HSC
ya, we tyoo have been told to set it in the time setting unless you perfect a story which interweaves now and the past could you do it (most of the time this is done through letter form which I hate using-but I'm sure you can do it). Does anyone know where to get some prac essay questions for this topic?

"O for a life of sensations rather than thoughts. . a vision of youth"-Keats

jessicalysenko

HSC
My creative (which got me full marks) is set during the time period

I didn't just have someone walking around saying nature is awesome

My character (female) was addressing the issue of child labour (which involves research, and terms which you must have researched before, increasing credibility)

Take an issue which was during the industrial revolution which the romantics would have been upset by, and centre your story around it

My idea allowed for:
economic (abuse of children to make profit)
nature (epiphany in nature)
childhood (thinking of hers vs the orphans childhoods)
emotions (dead mother...)

just research a topic so you can explore that in depth. They appreciate that because it shows you havn't ONLY read the handouts form your teacher.

My old creative which I did earlier (got terrible marks) wasn't set in a specific time period, and was very supernatural - weird stuff happened to say the least.

Stick to the conventions I think as it's safer. Just don't be too obvious, but don't under-explore the themes either :)

GOOD LUCK!

jessicalysenko

HSC

Romanticism is about a set of ideas and values. Yes, I guess they could be in a modern context but that would be difficult. The idea of Romanticism was to challenge the emerging values, which have now engulfed our society today

Religious mobs have started to diminish (+1) and there is a bit of an increased respect for nature... in my family anyway.

I think it would be really hard! Because you can't address the exact issues Romantics addressed - no Industrial Revolution, completely suppressed women and lack of basic humanity.

Good luck with doing in a modern context if you try... too dangerous for my liking!

niloony

HSC
Also make sure you know how to write a romantisicm story on the spot as in my trials we had to write THREE short stories AND analyse the techniques we used plus it was in a speech format!

I got full marks because i can think on the spot .> but only because i felt inspired and romantic at the time! (pleeease give us a hard creative task mr HSC board)

alina yousif

HSC
My teacher told us it's a must to write within the time period. She also said it's always essential to incorporate intertextuality of novels, writers, ideas, periods, etc which allude to the paradigms of the period. For instance, for my creative writing task we had for trials i made my character read the works of Wordworth and Thomas Paine's the rights of man, etc..

alina yousif

HSC
Im guessing the creative writing task won't be as narrow.. most probably an imaginative piece as it's the first year for Romanticism.. fingers crossed.

feliciaaardvark

HSC
HI ALINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

everyone. you HAVE to write in the context of the romantic period. my teacher gave me a really really really bad mark for my creative in trials--she said it conveyed romantic themes and ideas, but i lost heaps of marks for not making the historical setting prominent enough.
really pissed me off cos i had no idea it had to be in that era.

frkn teacher far out...still fuming at that.

usa

HSC
bumping this. (since the syllabus has changed slightly)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)