Romanticism and Bronte's Wuthering Heights (1 Viewer)

hereyes

HSC
Hey everyone
We've just finished (last term) analysing/'going through' Bronte's Wuthering Heights as part of Module B: Romanticism. In my attempts to prepare for next term, I've planned out a few essays on it. However, I have found myself referring more to the first volume than the second as TO ME, the first is UNMISTAKABLY 'romantic'. Could anyone who has studied the same text in class, etc. give me any advice or direct me to certain sections in the second volume (primarily regarding the 'second generation' of 'Cathy' 'Hareton' 'Linton' etc)?

Thanks in advance

N

Nicola1616

I think you are confusing 'romantic' with the period of 'romanticism'. I would have thought that the character of Heathcliff was your thread through the text and provides plenty of fodder as the byronic, romantic hero.

hereyes

HSC
I think you are confusing 'romantic' with the period of 'romanticism'. I would have thought that the character of Heathcliff was your thread through the text and provides plenty of fodder as the byronic, romantic hero.
yes, I do agree on the fact that Heathcliff is my main linking thread, but, in my attempts to rephrase my question:

Other than Heathcliff himself, what are other characters/occurrences in the second volume that illustrate Romantic ideals?

we know Romanticism was (excuse the 'colloquial nature of this statement') all about
- liberation
- assertion of the self (ie. focus on the individual through Heathcliff, the 'byronic hero')
- nature
- extremes
- defiance

etc. but all of these things seemed to be linked to first generation (mainly first volume) with Catherine and Heathcliff's relationship 'I am Heathcliff' and Heathcliff's "EXTREME" love/hate for different characters, etc. I know there are more but I meant in terms of the second volume/generation?

but thanks for input :)

N

Nicola1616

sorry - it's a while since i read it but you talked about love and hate in the first volume - but what about the magnitude of his hate for everything that isn't Cathy as he sets about destroying everyone's life and revelling in the destruction of his own. The presence of the haunted room and the ghost which he aches to be haunted with - there is every bit as much passion just of a destructive nature and yet despite this love grows - is it Cathy and Hareton. Also that sins of the father visited on the next generation thing and the moving of the terror and danger from outside to within the family home is very true to the period isn't it? The culmination on Lockwoods terror is in keeping with the 'sublime' - does some of that happen in the second volume? I think you have to see all of the tumultuousness of passion, love, hate etc of the first volume as simply repressed and churning violently within the character of Heathcliff and informing all that he does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)