role of millitary (1 Viewer)

Aimz- Lou.

Role of the military

The military was the key to maintaining power. If the emperor did not have military support, they basically had no power. This is why Augustus made so many military reforms. He reduced the numbers of the troops, where there had used to be sixty there were now 28. he was in control of 22 of these, and the senate controlled the other six. He also paid them, before this they were paid by the general. This meant that their allegiance and their loyalty was to him instead of to their general. Because of the military support, any changes or policies the emperor wished to implement could be enforced. The praetorian guard can also be discussed under the heading of military. Augustus intorduced them. Dio refers to them as Augustus' "Private bodyguard." They were stationed outside the city, and were managed by two prefects. This was supposed to prevent corruption. The riots of the praetorian guard when Tiberius stationed them inside the city and gave Sejanus the sole responsibility of managing the guard is good evidence for the power that the guard accumulated, and why it was so necessary for the emperors to maintain control over their military forces. The civil unrest in the year that Vespasian came to power also indicates theimportance of the military in maintaining the position of emperor, as during this year there were four emperors, each with the support of only a 1/4 of the troops. Eventually it was the general with the strongest military backing that became the emperor.
The military were also important for maintaining pax romana, and for defending the frontiers from any foreign military. The organisation of the military made the empire much more successful in regard to trade, as there was no longer civial unrest. Piracy was also eradicated under Augustus by the military.

I hope that's enough information.... If not, I have more, with evidence and stuff. You can email @ happychick_aimee@hotmail.com if you need more.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This is only true post Marius/Sulla.

Prior to this, the army was not a personal army nor was it as professional or autonomous as its later predecessors.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha yeah i was just stating that the army wasnt ALWAYS like this, and their role changes from the small timeframe :)

*runs back to philosophy* Oh why oh why did i pick this subject..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, nah its cool, i didnt read the thread my fault :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)