Rip me to shreds! (shreads?) (1 Viewer)

ashimation

HSC
Here is the third draft of my reflection statement

As I said in the title, rip me to shreds, or praise me, whatever, just give me feedback!

Reflection Statement –

Essentially the intention driving my major work was my desire to explore elements of society that are considered forbidden and unspeakable, whilst challenging my audience’s taboos. This process began in my initial focus on the concept of ‘weirdos’ and the accompanying research I undertook into what characteristics and traits an individual must possess to be considered ‘weird’ the film American Beauty and play Ruby Moon (Matt Cameron) were pivotal in this analysis. As the scope of my independent investigation continued, my writing became centered on two characters which would eventually become Ellen and Kennedy. Five other characters were removed early on as I transferred my focus to the relationship between these two, allowing me to explore on a deeper level the concepts of my work which would achieve my intention; obsession, truth and taboo.

Independent investigation was imperative to this change in my major work. The discovery of a psychological condition called Genetic Sexual Attraction provided a backdrop for which to examine the themes of my work against. Research into characters such as Lorraine Page from Linda La Plante’s crime fiction novels (Cold Shoulder and Cold Suspect) and the protagonists of Medea, Hamlet, and Othello provided traits and an overall insight into the workings and profile of the characters I wished to create; Kennedy as a obsessed, guilt ridden and lonely man, and Ellen as a flawed femme fatale. As I delved further into my research, the characters of Lily and Kennedy became dynamic, visual and three dimensional to myself, hence why these personalities were maintained in my final piece whilst others were omitted.

My research soon expanded to the genres of mystery and crime fiction, as I believe these forms provide much scope for my intent to be realized. Texts studied for these genres came within a variety of mediums: television programs such as Veronica Mars, Crime Scene Investigation, Special Victims Unit, as well as novels such as the aforementioned works of La Plante In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, The life and Crimes of Harry Lavender, and The Shape of Snakes by Minnette Waters, allowed me to realize the literary and language techniques employed by these genres. For example, the death of Lily is written in a removed, distant voice with a cold, detailed description of the scene, reminiscent of a police report: “two women entered, only one emerged”. I used elements from these genres to challenge the audience’s perspective of the truth; such as the ‘red herring’ of announcing, “Ellen Kinney is dead” in the opening, only to reveal much later that in fact Lily has been murdered. The employing of this unsuspected twist, an element of these genres, was the purpose behind the development of the character of Lily. This allowed me to realize the debate of truth through Ellen. Throughout the course of the narrative, it is only through third person narration and the words of Lily and Kennedy that Ellen is explored, save for flashbacks and the final section of the work in which she is given a first person voice. This serves to subject the audience to a total questioning of the character’s and their own perceptions of Ellen. By challenging the validity of what Ellen has revealed immediately before the climatic point of the work, the audience must view the murder of Lily is light of Ellen’s purported mental instability, as they have not been allowed time to consider or reflect on Lily’s accusation that “my sister is a sociopath”. My understanding of this theme was assisted by the ‘Representing the Truth’ module of the English (advanced) course, as I was able to analyse how I as I writer could shape the reader’s perception of what is true, and more important, how I could leave the final conclusion of the truth to my audience.

The stylistic features and structure of my work have been shaped by research into fragmented, out of chronological, non linear texts such as the film Memento directed by Christopher Nolan, novels by Ben Elton such as High Society, and the short stories of playwright Anton Chekhov: Gooseberries, The Student. This approach to short story form heightens the audience’s questioning of perceptions far more than traditional narrative structure. This style, combined with the use of multiple narrative voices and tense creates a sequence which allows for the concepts and characters to be viewed in a variety of contrasting ways; Kennedy can be seen as incestual and perverted, a loving father or an amalgamation of the two. Ellen can be seen as a woman whose family mistreated her, or an individual with a distorted perception of her situation. The character of Lily is crucial in determining these perceptions. Thus, sections of her voice are few and placed at intervals specifically designed to provide contrast, comparison and evoke emotion. These three characters created by my work parallel with three concepts I wished to explore in my final work: forbidden obsession (Kennedy), questioning of truth (Ellen) and relationship conflict (Lily).

Research was conducted into two psychological conditions: Twin Sibling Rivalry (TSR) and the aforementioned Genetic Sexual Attraction (GSA), both being integral to my comprehension and portrayal of Lily and Kennedy. My investigation into GSA came in the form of research into theory behind it, personal testimonies from sufferers gained from a support group, and readings based on the most powerful emotion felt by GSA sufferers - Grief: Good Grief by Zita Annette Weber (PhD) and The Grief Book by Elizabeth Vercoe. This research allowed me insight into the workings of a mind overcome by “the most powerful love of all, obsessive, all consuming” (Barbara, GSA sufferer). For Kennedy to be a successful character, his was essential to gain an understanding of the traits, behaviour and emotions of a sufferer of this condition. The knowledge gained through research into the psychological workings TSR, and literature which contained this theme, such as Jessica by Bryce Courtenay, allowed me to gain a sense of the anguish, competition and violence this condition often contains, and thus the force driving the climax in my work – Lily’s murder. The English (extension) course assisted me in my understanding of the motivation for Ellen’s killing of Lily – as a revenge act for the years of childhood conflict. The knowledge gained from this module allowed me to shape Ellen into a believable avenger, through using the conventions of violence, the debate of moral issues and the allusion to madness.

The purpose of my work was essentially to present a differing perspective of individuals isolated from society. As well as individuals who enjoy crime fiction or mystery genres, sufferers of the GSA may relate well to the character of Kennedy and his subsequent obsession and guilt. Identical or fraternal twins who have experienced rivalry or violence with their sibling may too relate to my work through the characters of Lily and Ellen. It is also my intention that any individual who has experience any level of conflict within a family will share the emotions and conflict between characters found within my piece. In my own work these conflicts begin with a seemingly trivial clash – the childhood betrayal of Lily letting Ellen’s ‘special, secret’ present given to her by her mother – the helium balloon. However, the balloon becomes a significant motif throughout my work, a symbol of the damaging effects of TSR, and a major concept of my work; the isolation of family members, and lifelong feud between twins.

The concept underpinning the entirety of my work is the obsession Kennedy has for Ellen, which comes to encompass a range of themes: taboo, incest, isolation, love and guilt. This fixation was explored through the language used by both Kennedy and the narrator to describe his obsession and feelings. To create a sense of danger towards breaking unspoken taboos, this theme was flooded with imagery that indicated darker intentions or thoughts whilst remaining ambiguous; “Kennedy found it frightening how far he would let his mind go”. The structure of the narrative heightens this uncertainty, designed deliberately to leave the audience without conclusion, by revealing his obsession in the opening, whilst showing different stages and perceptions of the development of Kennedy’s obsession in a nonlinear format, dispersed between the voices of Ellen, Lily and the narrator.

My final work has developed from a broad examination of individuals isolated from society to an in depth exploration into three characters who each possess traits, conditions and emotions which affect their lives and interactions. Through the ambiguity directed towards major events in my work, for example Kennedy’s obsession is shown through his reflective questioning and torment of the reason for his ‘love’ for Ellen “maybe I am a sick old man…how far would it have gone?” These characters have achieved a realization of the concepts I wish to present to my audience. The confusion created by constant changes in voice, tense and narration challenge the audience to decide what is ‘weird’ or taboo and what is ‘normal’, as the piece concludes with no clear resolution. Independent investigation played a central role in the evolution of my work as my insight into these characters and their conflicts motivated me to not only portray the struggles of GSA and TSR with accuracy and veracity, but to comprehend these damaging and mysterious conditions.

thank you and goodnight!
sincerely,
hater of the reflection statement

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
lol soz i sorta started skimming, but it looks to me like a pretty standard opening line for each paragraph. like
The stylistic features and structure of my work
The concept underpinning the
The purpose of my work was essentially
etc.
i dont know.. maybe more synthesis?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)