• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

RFTG philosophies-help!! (1 Viewer)

danielle111

If anyone out there could help me it will be great-
I've been trying to research info on various theories and ways of thinking regarding RFTG. However I'm completely and utterly confused. I understand post-colonalism and postmodernism have something to do with the whole thing but I'm having difficulty finding websites that arent completely wacked out (check this out for a laugh http://www.english.ucsb.edu/faculty/ayliu/research/auto/lyotgate.htm and click on the boxes) or full of big boring words.
So any help?? A bit of a brief rundown on what I 'should' know at this point would be fantastic- esp the actual theories of these guys and how they relate to that wonderful module of ours.............
-d

cakes

hi
HSC
I'm not really sure what you're asking for, but this is very brief...

post colonialism: centres the local/marginalised, against the oppressors(or the "global"), emphasis on language, sense of place and identity, etc

postmodernism: rejects the ideas of the Enlightenment/modernity, (so that's capitalism and progress etc which can also be seen as the "global") and also totalitarian views, which is why techniques such as self reflexivity and multiple perspectives are used, because they believe that totalitarian viewpoints and the value of progress have set up wars and destruction in the 20th century

post-secularism: says that the materialism and progress and modernity and all that crap doesnt satisfy the human soul, and what you need is spirituality, belief, etc.

PC and PM i think are the major ones. i just learnt a bit about post secularism cause it's used in a couple of my texts where theres a recurring motif of magic, so i just waffle on about how it's emphasising the fact that global values are cold and sterile and it's so bad to be materialistic blah blah we need magic, it makes people happy, yada yada yada

so thats how you use them......erm, i think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)