Review With Myles Barlow (1 Viewer)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
The premise of the show is that it's a guy that reviews everything. In the first week I think I read he was reviewing being a drug mule, and in later weeks (or maybe some of this will also be in first week, idk) he'll be reviewing murder, stalking and paying for sex. Should be good watching

On ABC2 Thursday at 9:30, and repeated on ABC at 11:15 Friday.

DTFM

HSC
This show is fantastic and I urge everyone to watch it. It's a shame it is getting so little attention, as it really deserves more than one season.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
This was hilarious, all class. As good as any comedy you could hope to see on the ABC.

Just saw episode 4- intergenerational dating and betrayal- fantastic, 5 stars.

Go download it http://www.abc.net.au/tv/review/

sdsdsdsdsd

HSC
Watching this hilarious show makes me cry inside about the sad state of the rest of australian television, I hope ABC never changes <3.

johony

HSC
this is such a good show, one of the most original (and darkest) shows on tv atm.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
He looks so seedy, and the poofy accent's pretty grating, but it's rather excellent. I like the low budget/everyday Australia feel of it. It's quite genuine, but he's also well structured and consistent with the reviewing theme. Love the quirky bits, like feeding his guests pidgeon. Has a knack for constructing awkward social scenes.
Good stuff!
Reminds me of Schroe!

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
it reminded me of nolan too!

i loved the ep with the pidgeon.

"why have you served us pigeon?"
"because it's considered a delicacy in some countries!"
"but those are specially bred pigeons, not ones you found behind your bin."

he's really innocent and likeable, but at the same time is determined to carry out what will probably be a distressing and horrible act eg murder, betrayal, destitution etc.

perfect show imho. love love love it.

Samuvel

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
lol wut.

he's not actually going to murder someone???
What? Of course not! God. It's acted!

Also: great, great show. Although I thought the paying for sex one this week was just too jolly grim for words.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
the first thing i thought when i watched it a few weeks ago was that myles=you.

this week's was very dark, not as funny as the previous weeks, but brilliant nonetheless.

motherfuckers at abc seriously need a kick up the marketing pants.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
oh what, they've removed the video of eps 1-3 from the site

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
I'm going to go against the grain here...

I watched an episode and while I was creepily drawn into it, I thought it was a bit tacky and like, obvious :( It's not like his ideas are paricularly original... but still, kudos to him for having the guts to act like a total creep on TV. It sucks you in once you start watching a ep.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
What I really like about his reviews is the poetical discourse he goes through after each act. He's really witty in that sense.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
DownInFlames said:
I'm going to go against the grain here...

I watched an episode and while I was creepily drawn into it, I thought it was a bit tacky and like, obvious :( It's not like his ideas are paricularly original... but still, kudos to him for having the guts to act like a total creep on TV. It sucks you in once you start watching a ep.
Your review doesn't make any sense. Yes, he addresses common, simple broad themes, found in a range of media, but he comes at it from a completely original and challenging approach. The way he addresses common themes from the perspective of an outsider is what makes it so good. The whole premise is that he addresses common, broad themes, in an absurd sense paroding the specificity of other review shows

It's absolutely original, there is nothing derivative about his approach. I can't see at all how you found the premise unoriginal. The most unfounded criticism. Please name any comedian who has done very similar work?

Further, your highlighting him as a "creep" shows you're a philistine with no understanding of black comedy.

He has a great basic talent for narrative and the absurd. Master of black comedy.

Last edited:

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Graney said:
Your review doesn't make any sense. Yes, he addresses common, simple broad themes, found in a range of media, but he comes at it from a completely original and challenging approach. The way he addresses common themes from the perspective of an outsider is what makes it so good. The whole premise is that he addresses common, broad themes, in an absurd sense paroding the specificity of other review shows

It's absolutely original, there is nothing derivative about his approach. I can't see at all how you found the premise unoriginal. The most unfounded criticism. Please name any comedian who has done very similar work?
I agree that the idea to review a concept in that way is totally new, and I've never seen that before. It's just that he didn't bring anything new to the table in terms of what he's saying about things. Then again, I only watched one episode and others may have been different (better).

And yeah, he did act pretty creepy in this one, he was stalking some chick and ended up hiding in her room while she had sex. Which is kind of... the point of his humour, is it not?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)