Retreat From The Global (1 Viewer)

cakes

hi
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
Do you guys think Erin Brockovich is ok to use as related?
yup! i think my teacher actually suggested it once earlier this year :)

cakes

hi
HSC
i have a question- when you guys write your essays, do you actually quote or refer to thinkers (like fukuyama, heidegger, etc), or do you just say (for example) that its post-colonial, hence retreats from global values or whatever

sensual dave

Hey cakes, referencing theorists such as Fukyama is a great way to show that you have a grasp on RTFG discourse and can exhibit some independant thought and research as well. I have not come across hedegger though. How does he relate to retreat from the global ? Thanks.

chip

HSC
definetly quote and look in depth we are trying to show that we are better than just normal advanced students and so look in depth into your texts and references if possible

we were told to stay away from popular texts especially songs and movies becuase they may fit into the global ??

i dont know just a thought

*10#

So confused - our teacher never told us to research theories so im a little confused

post-modernism - do ppl retreat from the global to escape ideas such as post-modernism? becoz post-modernism argues that local values are just social constructs i.e marriage is only important to you because you were raised in a stable family blah shit blah

anyway my question is why would anyone find retreat from the global (whether physically or psychologically) an adequate response to the global cultural ideas of post-modernism

i hope u get what im asking
maybe the answer is real obvious but pleze i need help

p.s fight club is a mad film - we should start a separate thread especially fo it!

cakes

hi
HSC
hmm i thought postmodernism had "retreat from the global" ideas... because the whole concept of thinking behind it is that it rejects the ideas and values of modernity and the enlightenment- progress, rationalism, reasoning, capitalism, big projects, totalitarian views...

i cant answer your question, because i am saying that postmodernism retreats from the global

actually... i dont really know what you're asking! =\

~k8t~

RTFG for our class was viewed as rejecting post-modernism towards something more towards a 'liberal humanist and conservative notion.'
i think RTFG is an adequate response:
- u gain cultural identity ( rather than being assimilated into the global society)
-values family, tradition, etc... need these localities 4 sense of self-worth.

i don't know if this is any help... honestly the whole topic makes my head hurt! too much to think about!

Anyone here doing McLeod stories? got any notes?

chip

HSC
i'm doing Mcleod

wow someone else is doing it

what stories you doing

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by ~k8t~
RTFG for our class was viewed as rejecting post-modernism towards something more towards a 'liberal humanist and conservative notion.'
but then again, you can question why people embrace the global, or its 'good' qualities.
also you would need to look at a 'glocal' scenario, where people embrace a bit of both. most characters do, so you can even question whether you can totally retreat

hmmm...that possiblility gives me an idea for the creative writting :p

SMKOD

HSC
N/A
Hey all.
I'm doing Castle/Heaney/McLeod and am shocked to find other ppl doing the same. Throughout the year when i was looking for info it was soo hard to find anything that covered all three.

I actually like rftg, but i think thats cause its grown on me over time.

Whats this about referring to thinkers like fukuyama, heidegger, etc.? This is the first i've heard of them and the first time someone has told me we should include that sorta stuff. Anyone care to explain that to me?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by SMKOD
Whats this about referring to thinkers like fukuyama, heidegger, etc.? This is the first i've heard of them and the first time someone has told me we should include that sorta stuff. Anyone care to explain that to me?
errr havent heard of heidegger, but fukuyama is a jap professor or something who accepts globalisation.

did anyone watch "Dancer in the Dark" the other day? does it seem RFTG to you?

~k8t~

Originally posted by Rahul
but then again, you can question why people embrace the global, or its 'good' qualities.
also you would need to look at a 'glocal' scenario, where people embrace a bit of both. most characters do, so you can even question whether you can totally retreat
I agree that the whole things kinda intertwined, i mean 1 persons local is anothers global and vica versa... but as a definition for seperating and comparing retreat and the global i usually have global- post modernism vs. local - liberal humanism kinda thing. :D

we kinda looked at how SH embraces the "glocal" because he's kinda stuck in the middle. He's accepts the local and embraces it, yet he still acknowledges and embraces his past... eg. Punishment "who can connive in civilised outrage...." last stanza.
:uhhuh:
im not sure how to go about looking at a retreat in a negative way... iv got sum ideas but we generally focused on RFTG as positive... can u explain?:confused:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
how would you bring postmodernism into a discussion of RFTG?

BuBBleZ :)

postmodernism is seen in for example the Castle where it is centred on the "marjinalised" ... umm not on dominant ..... it also holds values such as family etc. that are against the global view of community...umm...anything of centring the local is thought of as PM....umm cant think of anything else

BuBBleZ :)

well i thort the whole thing was the intertwined relo between local and global... like they sorta need each other..... umm negative aspects of local seen in like the Castle with stereotypical family *women doing the kitchenwork...hairdressing etc*

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
errr havent heard of heidegger, but fukuyama is a jap professor or something who accepts globalisation.

did anyone watch "Dancer in the Dark" the other day? does it seem RFTG to you?
I haven't read any of his works, but Heidigger was a 20th century phenomenological (Philosophy of experience) thinker..

As for Fukuyama, he's most famous for 'The End Of History And The Last Man', a text in which he attempts to 'prove' that through capitalist, liberal democracies, history in the sense of societal transformation has reached it's final stage. It's actually a synthesis of Hegelian dialectics (A logical progression within which a governing system or principle is discarded when a fatal internal contradiction is revealed, progressing until a system without any contradiction is created..) and concepts such as the logos [I believe Fukuyama uses a Platonic division of the soul to explain 'progress'..). Has been about eight months since I've read it though...

He loses points with me for being quite the ardent 'expansionist'. (Was heavily in favour of war in Iraq, and I believe he's associated with right-wing think tanks such as 'Project For A New American Century'..). Not sure how he relates to Retreat From The Global though, unless it's because he believes that the only political 'progress' that will be made is in those countries which aren't capitalist, liberal democracies towards that system [I believe it's quite close-minded to think that all progress is at an end.. To make a glib comparison, many people under Feudalism would have seen no better system imaginable), and that as such, 'history' will become without grand events, thus resulting in humanity attempting to define themselves in existence, thereby retreating from the 'global' concept [I like the definition of 'Global' as a Modernist conception] into the personal...

Not sure if that's of use (I do Crime Fiction), but you never know..

mattyb

HSC
8 mile

i'm not a fan of eminem, but i used "8 mile" as related material for RFTG and it does pretty well. It portrays globalism in a different light - from the white, western, "global" point of view.

Its also pretty good because seamus heaney recently named eminem as one of todays greatest poets, praising him for his "verbal energy"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3033614.stm

devi

oh my god, can someone PLEASE tell me how Seamuds Heaney actually relates to RFTG???? i dont understand!!! wah.

~k8t~

Has anyone else looked at RFTG in terms of the forms of their texts?
Ok.... i hav a couple of theorists to discuss, but how can i work them into my essay?...sumwhere in my intro???
Do we hav to define RFTG....my main problem is that i hav all these different ideas and i find that i get marked down because i hav so much i want 2 talk about but 2 little time to write it all in and threfore end up making plenty of generalisations with little justification!! ahhh!!
I know its a bit late and all....but sumone HELP! any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)