Results: Semester 1, 2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Probably that's why they're successful--imagine aiming for first class honours starting from first year! Well, good luck for that!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lala2 said:
Probably that's why they're successful--imagine aiming for first class honours starting from first year! Well, good luck for that!
first class honours means you get a wam of 90 in your honours year. you aim to get into honours from your first year, not first class honours.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Ah, yes, my bad. But it's hard enough aiming for honours in any subject, let alone law!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lala2 said:
Ah, yes, my bad. But it's hard enough aiming for honours in any subject, let alone law!
yes, aiming for above 65% is very difficult :rolleyes:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
velox said:
>=85 you mean.
what subject has an honours cutoff of 85. most subjects are 65 or 75 for their honours cutoffs (although if you are a smooth talker you can usually get in if you miss these cutoffs)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Chris, you'll find that first class honours will suffice. Your undergrad wam won't matter too much, although they will go through your transcript. More importantly you need to be a good sportsperson and have areas of leadership (however I get the feeling you are addressing the leadership issue, but getting involved with clubs and socs).

Btw Rhodes isn't everything. A Chevening is very similar, just without the mega prestige of the word 'Rhodes'

lala2

Banned
HSC
stazi said:
yes, aiming for above 65% is very difficult :rolleyes:
you serious? you only need a credit average to get into honours? that's not difficult! I half-heartedly tried this semester and got a WAM a good four to five marks above that!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
what subject has an honours cutoff of 85. most subjects are 65 or 75 for their honours cutoffs (although if you are a smooth talker you can usually get in if you miss these cutoffs)
First class honours is 85 or greater. 2i = 75-84. 2ii = 65-74. Pass = <65

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lala2 said:
you serious? you only need a credit average to get into honours? that's not difficult! I half-heartedly tried this semester and got a WAM a good four to five marks above that!
well, different subjects have differing requirements. but ive never heard of a sub with a cutoff higher than a D avg in it, however, I'm unsure if engo needs an HD avg or not.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
velox said:
First class honours is 85 or greater. 2i = 75-84. 2ii = 65-74. Pass = <65
we're talking about getting into honours.
first class honours is attaining a result of (i thought it was 90) 85+ IN that honours year.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Then, within that honours year, if you get less than 65, are you automatically reverted back to the pass degree?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I'm interested if there's a cutoff as to the number of people that can get into honours in a year. Perhaps they lift the cutoff based on demand for popular honours degrees (govt, etc.)
Also, it's good for anyone considering honours to contact the honours coordinator to find out if they take into account your overall WAM or the WAM for the subject. Marketing takes into account the overall wam apparently :( Hopefully they don't use the overall wam for the prize for being the best marketing graduate continuing into honours.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ohhh for law it's this:

(a) Honours in the Bachelor of Laws may be awarded in two classes: Class I and Class II.

(b) First class honours are awarded to students who obtain an average mark of 75 per cent or higher (weighted in accordance with the credit points for each unit of study).

(c) Second class honours are awarded to students who obtain an average mark of between 70 per cent and 74.9 per cent (weighted in accordance with the credit points for each unit of study).

(d) Students who qualify for the award of first class honours, and whose work is of outstanding merit in the opinion of the Faculty, may be considered for the award of a University medal.

then in another section it says this, which kinda contradicts it:

Description
Mark Range (WAM)
Honours Class I and University Medal
90 - 100*
Honours Class I
80 - 100
Honours Class II (Division 1)
75 - 79
Honours Class II (Division 2)
70 -74
Honours Class III
65 - 69
Pass (not awarded Honours)
50 - 64

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Stazi, that's a little off the mark.

75-85: 2nd class
65-85: 3rd class

?

edit: Most honours courses have a marking guide like this

1. The grades awarded in Honours are: Hons. Class I (85 or higher); Hons. Class II division 1, (75-84); Hons. Class II division 2 (65-74); Hons. Class III (50-64).

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh didnt realise you didnt go to usyd. considering this is the usyd board, of course i was going through usyd faculty guidebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)