Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
archangel leila said:
Bahaha really? <3 :shy:
yep. girls wear togas, guys have well dodgy haircuts that they have to keep through the first week. us shitheads have to wear our academic gowns and carry a brick.

are you soph or third year at choppers this year walrusbear?

Quintin

HSC
Hi all,

I got accepted into Drews and i was wondering what i should bring to my room on the first day...

Cheers

Q

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Re: General Drews/college F.a.q.

welshi said:
rawson sport is more important than uni, sleeping, meals, hangovers, uni sport, rosebowl and personal hygiene. if skipping your class won't mean an instant fail, you are expected on the sideline with six beers in you and two in your hand, draped in sky blue and bellowing "all choppers are bastards" at the top of your voice. rosebowl is also more important than uni.
hmmmmm i'm at a catholic college and our rivals sing "one, two, sing us a tune - all choppers are bastards, three, four, sing it some more - all choppers are bastards"

looks like it's all pretty original!

Genjamin

HSC
I'm going to apply next year to a residential college. Do I have any advantage/disadvantage of getting into college based on being an American? I'm looking at Wesley for my first choice, but I've got time to think about it before I apply.

Does anyone have any college pictures besides the ones on each college's respective websites?

Quintin

HSC
Genjamin said:
I'm going to apply next year to a residential college. Do I have any advantage/disadvantage of getting into college based on being an American? I'm looking at Wesley for my first choice, but I've got time to think about it before I apply.

Does anyone have any college pictures besides the ones on each college's respective websites?
In my limited experences with college enrolments i have found that almost all of them have a large international student base.

I recommend applying for the college early though, otherwise you may not get in. Also prepare for your interview, and have a good CV for your submission.

As for pics i dont have any, sorry, i am not at college yet... Thats 23 days away :p BTW what should i bring to college on the first day??

raymo69

HSC
Is there internet connection or a phone line in the rooms at John's?

Quintin

HSC
According to their website there is. As far as i know the calls are prepaid, but i am still trying to figure out what the deal is with broadband download limits, and printing constraints.

walrusbear

HSC
at john's there's a phone line and a broadband internet line in each room
the internet is expensive, however.
the USYD rates for 7c per megabyte for international sites
3.5c for local sites
and uni sites are free
there is also restriction on use of things like filesharing progs and messenger, though some 'supposedly' know a way around things like that ;)
at johns the calls are prepaid. you pay however much at the front office. you are given a pin number on your first day.

welshi

HSC
walrusbear said:
at john's there's a phone line and a broadband internet line in each room
the internet is expensive, however.
the USYD rates for 7c per megabyte for international sites
3.5c for local sites
and uni sites are free
there is also restriction on use of things like filesharing progs and messenger, though some 'supposedly' know a way around things like that ;)
at johns the calls are prepaid. you pay however much at the front office. you are given a pin number on your first day.
for messenger, limewire/soulseek/whatever you need to download a VPN client, which u can do via the IT helpdesk website. for itunes and that kinda of thing i don't think you need the client. i won't link to the page because i can't be bothered. but the IT people on the phone helpline are lovely and very very helpful, not patronising nerds at all. so if you're not a big IT head give them a call when you're setting up, if there aren't any seniors around who can give you a hand.

Quintin, and any others who are wondering, the basics you'll need for your first day at least are your clothes, and your doona and pillows (with bedlinen), and some panadol :D. you'll need it all week. the morning after the wesley toga party i couldn't even move... if you're a syd boy, i remember u saying you went to school here, you could get away with moving your personal effects over later, but if you're coming from further away bring everything you want. secondary basics may include your stereo (up to you, many people just use their computers with good speakers), your computer and printer (but at drews you won't be able to set up your internet until you've bought your blue cable from mark in the accts office, costs about $11 and it can go on your account), your books/dvds, practical stuff like a desk lamp and a clothes drying rack and coathangers (you may or may not have a noticeboard in your room, depends where you are), your mini fridge if you're bringing one, vertical decorations (i am notorious for sticking shit ALL over my walls) and whatever else you want. oh, and costumes. have you got your letter about o week with your party schedule yet?

welshi

HSC
Re: General Drews/college F.a.q.

ballerinabarbie said:
hmmmmm i'm at a catholic college and our rivals sing "one, two, sing us a tune - all choppers are bastards, three, four, sing it some more - all choppers are bastards"

looks like it's all pretty original!
oh god yeah, and we nick rugby songs from everywhere too. few new ones last year thanks to a pom import in our year... some we make up ourselves, there was a chicks' song last year but it's wasn't too great (no offence gen). pauls are worse than us tho, they just sing english football songs and nothing else.

welshi

HSC
walrusbear said:
i thought the IT desk didn't like people using VPN??
oh i don't know, it's up there, and when I was getting help setting it up the guy talked me through it really well and then just warned me to be careful about downloading too much stuff because they charge by the Mb. he was cool, why wouldn't they like us using the VPN?

welshi

HSC
Genjamin said:

and i can send you some...let me know how graphic you want them. unless you mean of rooms and the like?

walrusbear

HSC
fair enough
i knew someone using it this year and they told him to stop
maybe he was using it to ill ends :p

shes_jinxed

HSC
hey just wondering if anyone has got any information from Johns, like the handbook etc, or even the fees
thanks

raymo69

HSC
Nothing yet. In my most recent letter from them it states that they're sending info during february... and it's well into february so i dont know what the deal is...

walrusbear

HSC
give them time
things are often left to the last minute, sadly

~Han~

HSC
Does anyone stay at the university villiage or international house? what are ur experiences and the pros, cons to that form of accomodation?
i rekon they look awsome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)