Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

rx34

HSC
Omg, I'm so jealous! Is it a full college fees or half college fees scholarship? Hmmmm, I wished they had scholarships based on academic merit (for second years). I'll go check.

bio_nut

HSC
Women's definately has for academic merit... normally they have a mix of scholarships for financial need, rural applicants and academic results, which may also combine any two or more of these requirements.

You're going to IH, aren't you? I don't know what they're like for there though I guess.

CGSAJA

HSC
Just got the information pack for St Pauls.
anybody else going to Pauls??
Yeah - I'm going to Paul's too, kinda excited and nervous though. Apparently information pack was sent home, did you read about how they wanted us to sign this declaration that we would respect women etc... after the whole 2009 Facebook debacle? I think I read it in the newspaper a while back but there wasn't anything in the info pack about it, was there?

TheFush

HSC
Yeah - I'm going to Paul's too, kinda excited and nervous though. Apparently information pack was sent home, did you read about how they wanted us to sign this declaration that we would respect women etc... after the whole 2009 Facebook debacle? I think I read it in the newspaper a while back but there wasn't anything in the info pack about it, was there?

Im really looking forward to the 22nd, but Im sorta nervous mostly just that I have NO idea what is going to happen - im hearing stories about O-Week but it still sounds amazing. How good do the organised events sound!

In the pink booklet under College Life it says we have to sign "the Intercol Code of Conduct" at the start of the semester, maybe thats what they mean. But yeah, nothing to sign in the info pack.

CGSAJA

HSC
Im really looking forward to the 22nd, but Im sorta nervous mostly just that I have NO idea what is going to happen - im hearing stories about O-Week but it still sounds amazing. How good do the organised events sound!

In the pink booklet under College Life it says we have to sign "the Intercol Code of Conduct" at the start of the semester, maybe thats what they mean. But yeah, nothing to sign in the info pack.
Yeah to be honest I haven't read the code of conduct or rule book that we were sent because I'm on the otherside of the world at the moment but I imagine it's all fairly straight-forward?

About O-Week, I have heard that they've really been toned down recently because I suppose every body is lawyered up to their eyeballs and it has to probably be a little less wild than usual. So far the most out of this world thing that I've heard is that they get us very drunk (always a plus) and then dump us with nothing on the east coast somewhere and we have to get back to Sydney? I can't imagine that will happen though. I assume the week will involve much alcohol and not much else though....

Thoughts?

HSC
About O-Week, I have heard that they've really been toned down recently because I suppose every body is lawyered up to their eyeballs and it has to probably be a little less wild than usual. So far the most out of this world thing that I've heard is that they get us very drunk (always a plus) and then dump us with nothing on the east coast somewhere and we have to get back to Sydney? I can't imagine that will happen though. I assume the week will involve much alcohol and not much else though....

Thoughts?
i can guarantee you that o-week will be soooo much better than your expectations. it may be getting a "little less" each year but if last year is anything to go by it will still be the best week of your life by about a thousand times (so much better than schoolies)

i remember getting my information pack for pauls last year, i was so nervous/excited... i fucking wish i was doing it all over again this year. Did your information pack say anything about "Tight and White" ? if so then i can tell you now it is the best night of your life bar none.

all the organised events are phenomenal.... toga party, song night, pub crawl, beach parties, scav hunt etc oh god i wish i was a leader this year

oh and no, walkabout (dumping you somewhere without means to get home) doesn't go on regularly at pauls, only a couple of people each year

Last edited:

CGSAJA

HSC
i can guarantee you that o-week will be soooo much better than your expectations. it may be getting a "little less" each year but if last year is anything to go by it will still be the best week of your life by about a thousand times (so much better than schoolies)

i remember getting my information pack for pauls last year, i was so nervous/excited... i fucking wish i was doing it all over again this year. Did your information pack say anything about "Tight and White" ? if so then i can tell you now it is the best night of your life bar none.

all the organised events are phenomenal.... toga party, song night, pub crawl, beach parties, scav hunt etc oh god i wish i was a leader this year

oh and no, walkabout (dumping you somewhere without means to get home) doesn't go on regularly at pauls, only a couple of people each year
Cool that sounds pretty epic, really looking forward to it!! 22nd cannot come fast enough.

S.M.R.

HSC
how many people new to college arrived in the 2nd yr of their degree? Is it hard to do that? cheers

izzy88

HSC
how many people new to college arrived in the 2nd yr of their degree? Is it hard to do that? cheers
lots- this year at women's there are about 14 freshers who are in second year or above at university. I think most of them work it out fine- they generally form friendships with the girls in their fresher year- generally there isn't much of an age gap anyway, because obviously some people take gap years etc before they go to university. I don't think it should stop you from going to college!

Niek

HSC
lots- this year at women's there are about 14 freshers who are in second year or above at university. I think most of them work it out fine- they generally form friendships with the girls in their fresher year- generally there isn't much of an age gap anyway, because obviously some people take gap years etc before they go to university. I don't think it should stop you from going to college!
Second that. Plus, they remind you how lucky you are to be here because most of them came to college because last year they had a huge commute and stuff

Boy_Downunder

HSC
Hey, thank god for this forum... only place to find decent information on the subject lol!

I am hoping to enter wes college as a postgrad student, at 21 years old. just wondering, what the postgrad life is like? obviously it is really fun as an undergrad - does the same apply for postgrad students? particulary, in regards to o-week.

thanks again boys and girls.

izzy88

HSC
Hey, thank god for this forum... only place to find decent information on the subject lol!

I am hoping to enter wes college as a postgrad student, at 21 years old. just wondering, what the postgrad life is like? obviously it is really fun as an undergrad - does the same apply for postgrad students? particulary, in regards to o-week.

thanks again boys and girls.
for postgrads it is as fun as you want to make it. The colleges love for postgrads to get involved - and you can do all the stuff the undergrads do - the bar to postgrads getting involved is normally themselves eg. they are older and don't want to party/play sport etc anymore. However no one is going to say you can't do anything. If you want to be treated like every other fresher (and be involved in o-week etc), just say so, and you will be able to :)

Depending on the college, you will also find that 21 isn't that old in comparison to everyone else. At womens there was always a strong contingent of 4th years etc (eg. combined degrees), and they have also been increasing their postgrad numbers. Pauls has a lot of students staying on for 3-4 years as well. It can just depend on the year and the college culture.

Last edited:

Boy_Downunder

HSC
for postgrads it is as fun as you want to make it. The colleges love for postgrads to get involved - and you can do all the stuff the undergrads do - the bar to postgrads getting involved is normally themselves eg. they are older and don't want to party/play sport etc anymore. However no one is going to say you can't do anything. If you want to be treated like every other fresher (and be involved in o-week etc), just say so, and you will be able to :)

Depending on the college, you will also find that 21 isn't that old in comparison to everyone else. At womens there was always a strong contingent of 4th years etc (eg. combined degrees), and they have also been increasing their postgrad numbers. Pauls has a lot of students staying on for 3-4 years as well. It can just depend on the year and the college culture.
sounds good! just worried about being stuck in some postgrad building filled with 50 year olds haha

thanks for that

izzy88

HSC
How much do they generally cost?
Um i can't give exact figures for this year, but anywhere between $400-$450 a week I think. Exact fees can probably be found on the websites of each college. The fees include all meals, bills etc (not Internet).

theycallmebob

HSC
Um i can't give exact figures for this year, but anywhere between $400-$450 a week I think. Exact fees can probably be found on the websites of each college. The fees include all meals, bills etc (not Internet).
You can rent a house with that shit

izzy88

HSC
You can rent a house with that shit
It would be very difficult to rent a house in the sydney uni area (glebe/newtown) for $450 a week. Friends in glebe/newtown are paying upwards of $250 a week each for a 3 bedroom terrace. They also have to pay bills etc on top of that and food. Yes, it is still cheaper than college...but not as much as you would think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)