Residential Colleges in Uni of Queensland (1 Viewer)

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Carnivour said:
ive only just decided to go to UQ and im wondering if its too late now to apply for accomodation at the residential colleges? if not, where would be my best bets to apply to and have a good chance of being accepted?
Most of the colleges have a closing date for applications in october or november. So you're a bit late for those. IH, however, does not have a specified closing date for applications, so that would be your best bet at this stage. I believe Crikket applied fairly late for IH and got in, so it can be done.
Carnivour said:
i also have another question - hows the social life in the residential colleges? im a bit a of a party animal, so i dont want to get stuck in a tame place!
All questions like that should be directed to Crikket.
Carnivour said:
and finally, if i miss out on applications for accomodation, where would you recommend i live? is off-campus a viable option?
If I don't get in, I plan to ring up all the other colleges and beg for them to give me any spare places they might have. If that fails, I'll probably investigate off-campus accommodation, but that sure wouldn't be ideal (I've got my heart set on staying on-campus). My back-up plan is to board with relatives in Ipswich, which is about a 45 minute train ride away, so thats not ideal either.

So, in conclusion, you should probably start formulating a back-up plan, but I'd encourage you to apply to IH.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i think international house is full already this year! yay! but you should try ringing them, and the other colleges just incase people have changed their minds. its worth all the trouble of ringing around, college (whichever one you get into) is sweet as.
did anyone find out if they got in yet?

Trev

stix
HSC
Got a letter the other day from Cromwell (addressed to all the guys that applied) saying that there has been alot of guys apply this year.
Mentions stuff about sharing a room with another person (not going to do that) to increase your chances of being selected and saying that King's has a few positions left as there were not enough people to apply.
My friends and I put our names down at King's, there were 12 places left. So if we don't get into Cromwell we'll go to Kings'...

Apparently they will phone early next week informing people whether or not they have been accepted into Cromwell.

jessied

HSC
I got into Duschesne, the Principal rang me this morning. It's a tricky situation though cos UAC offers haven't come out yet...

Trev

stix
HSC
Well...
Two of my friends (twins) got into Cromwell but they have the basement rooms or something.
Cromwell rejected me the bastards, but i'm in at Kings in an air-con room with double bed. :)

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Ah well Trev. Hope you enjoy your stay at Kings. I won't make you feel too jealous that I got into Cromwell... just kidding.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
congrats to all you kids who got into college! yay!
i'll hopefully see starbaa trev and jessied in a couple of weeks!

aevareth

HSC
Whooo I got international house!!!

I'm so happy that I have a place to actually live >_<

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
aevareth said:
Whooo I got international house!!!

I'm so happy that I have a place to actually live >_<
I know that feeling!

...not long to go now. I'm moving in to Cromwell on Sunday. O-week...

sunnybuns

HSC
When you apply to cromwell college, what does it mean when they say they ask you for references?? What kind of references? (Academic, work, personal etc)

Trev

stix
HSC
Just a mix of those 3 types, I had 2 academic and 1 personal references when I applied and I know my friends had the same (except one had a work reference because she was the only one that had a job :p).

sunnybuns

HSC
is it possible to have no academic? I cant think of anyone how do an academic reference for me..i finished school 2 years ago and none of my lecturers in uni know me

Trev

stix
HSC
I can't remember if there is a requirement for an academic reference or not, best bet is to contact the college and find out. I'm sure your situation is common and an explanation is all that is needed.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Mike Ockisard said:
im pretty keen on cromwell

but it looks fairly churchy - im not churchy and dont wanna be in a churchy kinda crowd

would i be out of place there or
Trust me when I say that none of the colleges are 'churchy'.

sunnybuns

HSC
Glad to hear that as well!

I have to write and send in: a brief biography, an outline of my religious beliefs (i'm not christian, will that be a problem??) and moral beliefs (how in depth do they want me to be??), how comfortable i am dealing with other cultures and what i can contribute to Cromwell life.

I haven't started typing it out yet. Was just wondering about the religious and moral beliefs question. were those of you who had interviews with Cromwell asked these questions?

sunnybuns

HSC
I'm sending in my stuff as soon as possible because i just want to get all the paperwork out of the way. I also graduated highschool in 2004, and don't have any academic references. I emailed the college to ask what to do, but the reply i got was "here are the forms you need to complete". :( So I'm sending in 2 personal references..i dont know..do they really check up on them?

oh and applications for Cromwell close on october 31, or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)