Research Project Help (1 Viewer)

HSC
Wow so many ppl in this forum :rolleyes: oh well doesn't matter, i was just after some help for my ideas to implementation research project including oral presentation. Its worth more then my half yearly so i want to do well. Any advice would be much appreciated especially since we haven't done some of the stuff in class thats in this project. Name some sites, resources, post ur own knowledge watever that will help. Thanks :p
.... Anyway here it is,

Part A
Albert Einstein and Max Planck both contributed to the explaination of the photoelectric effect.
a. Describe Plancks's major contribution
b. Describe how Einstein made use of Planck's idea.
c. Do you think that Einstein or Planck contributed most to the idea that light could be pictured as photons? Justify your answer.

Marking Guideline
Your research should include the following:
-What happens during the photoelectric effect
-How a balck body as used in physics is unique
-define quantised
-mathematical relation between photon energy; frequency, speed of light and wavelength.

Part B
The photoelectric effect is widely used in:
-Solar cells
-Photo cells

Investigate one and present your findings to the class.
(Must include diagrams adn principles)

Part C
While no actual debate ever took place between them, it is known that both max planck and einstein held strong views about whether scientific research can or should be kept seperated from social and political forces. You sholud bear in mind that both lived through the world wars.

-Using available info sources, investigate the views held and expressed by each.
-Evaluate their views and consequences of the applications of science.

Thats the whole thing. This seems like the sought of project many schools have to do as it is a major part of the syllabus. So hopefully you'll have some info for me :)

Cheers, n thanks again

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
if you use any text book, use the Maquarie guide, it explains things really well and helps in outlining main points so you can elaborate on them. Use the Jacaranda text book for elaborated versions of everything....

cheers

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
all sections are straight from syllabus, hence, look in ur textbook and on hsc online, all sources will work for ya

HSC
Thanks for your help guys these sites are great :). Oh one more thing. I need a really good definition of the term 'quantised' to add to my project.
Thanks again

Helstar87

HSC
"Albert Einstein and Max Planck both contributed to the explaination of the photoelectric effect".

It is observed that when a metal is exposed to light, the photoeletrons are only emitted when the frequency of the light is above a certain threshold frequency. Einstein explained this by adapting Plank's quantum hypothesis that incident light was composed of individual photons, each of fixed energy detemined by E=hf. If the photon has an energy above the work function (the energy cost of extracting the electron from the metal), an electron is ejected. Any excess energy shows up as kinetic energy of the photoelectron. Ek=hf - work function.
Consistent with this theory, if the incident photons have energy less than the work function, then no photoelectrons are released, no matter how bright the light is.
Einstein developed a one-proton, one-electron interaction, so if the incident light was more bright, then more photons will be incident and more photoelectrons will be ejected. ie. Intensity determines the number of photoelectrons, frequency determines the kinetic energy of the photoelectrons. (This will only occur when the frequency is above the threshold frequency)

"mathematical relation between photon energy; frequency, speed of light and wavelength".

By using the equations E=hf and c=f x wavelength (sorry, don't no the button for lamda or whatever it is) the energy of a light photon of any known wavelength of light can be determined; c=f x wavelength hence f=c/wavelength
but: E=hf hence E=h x c/wavelength or E=hc/wavelength

Because "h" is constant, and "c", the speed of light is also known to be a constant, it can be seen that,
* Wavelength and the energy of the photon are inversely proportional
* Wavelength and the frequency are inversely proportional
* Frequency and energy are directly proportional

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)