Research assignment, - APPENDIX?? (1 Viewer)

ipod21

HSC
I am currently doing a Modern History research assignment, and is of an expected ~ 2,000 word length.

The criteria also wants an appendix ontop of teh bilbiorgraphy. I guess this means referecing the info you used on the same page you use it (in the footer)....
so refercing quotes, extracts, data/statistics. etc

But ive never had to do an appendix before. Can someone guide me on how to do this?? how it should be formatted?

Like in the resrach paper do i use like astrix or ^1, ^2 for the appendix reference?
I am using Micrsoft Word by the way, so there must bea function in word that makes rerferecing/appendixing easy?

~untitled~

HSC
For us the apendix, we have to use them for english and history, is just including the section of the website/book that you used information from, so that teachers can see your sources and make sure you didnt plagurise i guess.

HSC
hehe i didn't realise what an appendix was until i had to do one for one of my uni reports.

your appendix in a modern history assignment goes right before the bibliography. you don't include these in the intro/body because they take too much space and it looks heaps cluttered. it will have all the primary/secondary sources you used, as in photos, tables, graphs and all that. when you discuss your sources and the interpretation you gathered you refer to the appendix.

for example, you might say "there were 1 million casualties from america and 400 000 from australia in WWII (appendix 1)". appendix one would be a graph you found of overall casualties in WWII. ok the numbers are way off but that's not the point, im no history buff. then you might say "america used propaganda to a great extent. for example there was a poster *describe poster* (appendix two)" appendix two would be a propaganda poster you found. and so on. all these appendixes would go right at the very end, just before the bibliography. and you must keep referring back to them if you are interpreting information from any source.

don't forget to reference whenever you steal information from a random textbook, encyclopedia, etc as well!

does that help?

ipod21

HSC
thanks guys for the help.

it seems the appendix is giving evidence of the research?

so if i used an article and refer to some quotes or stats from that article, does that mean i have to photocopy the article and provide it in the appendix? or can citing the article's name/author date etc , good enough?

HSC
appendix is more for like graphs, pictures, tables, charts and that kind of thing. if you use an article you just cite the article (unless its heaps small). if you interpret data you will have to refer to the appendix. if you are just stating an idea you have to cite it (i think)

ipod21

HSC
can someone upload a sample of a appendix they did ? (for any subject research task)

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)