requierments for UNI (1 Viewer)

sfernando

HSC
hey guys i wanna know if there is any specific subjects that i have to take for doing any IT coarses in UNI ( game designing , IT admin etc..)

and also wat a website that could give me the ATAR needed to join UWS or UTS?

:guitar:

muzeikchun852

HSC
Ipt or software design
thats only for recommended knowledge so it's not essential. i only know about unsw, i think they need maths extension one at least, but some other uni requires physics as well.

go to each uni and check out their handbook. or u can visit the uac to see the list of ATAR they require.

Last edited:

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Do you enjoy the maths and theory behind computer science?
Are you looking at a more sysadmin path or developer or..?

off the top of my head
unsw compsci is assumed mx1, comp eng is assumed mx1, physics
usyd BIT/BCST is assumed mx1/2u depending on subjects
uts is assumed 2u, recommended mx1

Software Design and IPT are not assumed knowledge for any degrees not recommended but I think they would help.

sfernando

HSC
I think i wanna do something like website designing, game designing and other kinda stuff. what is the coarse called if im doin that?.. ( i donno wat coarse it is called though)

ex1 maths? wow im only doing adv maths... would that help?

muzeikchun852

HSC
I think i wanna do something like website designing, game designing and other kinda stuff. what is the coarse called if im doin that?.. ( i donno wat coarse it is called though)

computer engineering is the one with designing.

if u only do 2u maths, u could see whether ur school maths department let u "upgrade" to 3u maths. its still early stage of prelim, so it will be easy to catch up if ure good at maths. although u cant go to 3u maths in high school, if u wants the course desperately, u could do a $200-400 bridging course (depend which uni u are going to do the course) to get a 2-years course squash into a few week.

sfernando

HSC
so there is no way i can study... computer engineering without 3 u maths?

well im gonna go for a uni in sydney like mquarey!

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Web design is more a TAFE course.

Game design/dev is offered as a Diploma in IT at TAFE, UTS have it as a bachelor program although you have needed to completed the TAFE course.
Personally, I'd do a CompSci and major in game design :) if you decided games isn't for you (it's hard :) ) then you still have the compsci degree backing you up.

Do well in 2u, do a bridging course before uni starts. All good, that's my plan anyway
computer engineering is the one with designing.
Comp Eng is Elec Eng mixed with Comp Sci. You learn about the hardware, the software and the electronics behind it
so there is no way i can study... computer engineering without 3 u maths?

well im gonna go for a uni in sydney like mquarey!
Sydney still assume ext1/2u depending on units chosen, not sure about macq. Depends on how maths orientated their courses are, UNSW is very maths oriented, sydney - less, UTS doesn't have a lot.
As I said before, bridging course will hook you up
yes. :uhhuh::uhhuh: it's assume knowledge.
There's nothing stopping you from doing Comp Sci @ UNSW and having done no maths, you will just fail pretty badly, assumed knowledge is not a prerequisite, they just assume that when you walk into that lecture theater you will have a clue about what they are talking about

-JD

HSC
As far as I know,

For your standard Computer Science degree, all of them assumed 2u knowledge but recommend 3u. Basically what this means doing 2u won't hinder your entry but if you choose to do mathematical based electives you are going to have to work harder at the concepts. Alternatively you could do a bridging course, some Uni's provide them free for their students, some cost money. At some Uni's depending on what you do, you tailor your degree to do less mathematical electives, but if you want to do game design your definitely need the maths.

SDD/IPT are not prerequisites in anyway, but doing well in these can get you bonus points at some universities if you score in the top bands. Physics isn't a preq for any CompSci degree, but if your interested in game design it would certainly be helpful (animation etc).

hope this helps,
-JD

sfernando

HSC
im confused....

do they ask wat subs u do before applying for the coarse? ( computer sci?)

i mainly interested in making websites ad stuff.... so u sure bridging would help.. explain me a bit further pls!?

sfernando

HSC
and JD would my application for joiing the coarse be at risk if im not doing physics?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
im confused....

do they ask wat subs u do before applying for the coarse? ( computer sci?)

i mainly interested in making websites ad stuff.... so u sure bridging would help.. explain me a bit further pls!?
No, they look at your atar and if you meet the cutoff your given an offer

If you apply via alternate entry (if your atar is lower than the cutoff) then they look at your subjects and marks and stuff.

If websites is your interest then a CompSci degree will be pretty boring for you and not much interest. Your better off doing something like a Cert IV in Web Design or Diploma in Multimedia (don't quote me on the names, these are just off the top of my head)

and JD would my application for joiing the coarse be at risk if im not doing physics?
Most courses have no prerequisites, just assumed.
Physics as assumed knowledge in
CompSci - No
Design/Multimedia - hell no :)
CompEng - Yes, would be helpful

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)