Reputation (1 Viewer)

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
I know this is a pretty shallow sorta thing to bring up, but what is the reputation, or reputed quality of the arts course (Humanities subjects) at UNE?

I heard off one person that the Law course is highly ranked in the Aussie uni scene... Anyone?

strawberry

realli??

my friend...who's also a lawyer said graduates of law from UNE rarely get accepted at firms coz of rep??

otherwise i would have done law at UNE......

natrap

Law graduates from UNE rarely get jobs at law firms huh. I think for anyone to make such a categorical statement they would have to be able to back it up with some facts and statistics.

sepul

HSC
Yes this is probably another case of this person knowing 1 person that didn't get a job, and maybe hearing about another one and then concluded all the information was true, and he didn't get the job not because of his ability, but because of the reputation of the uni he went to, so he came to that conclusion.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Ashleet
it is regarded as the best "up comming" (even though it has been around forever) unis for law. A lawyer I know said its in the top 3 of unis to attend for law, only beaten by sydney and NSW, but even their reputation is sliding a little
Usyd and UNSW reputation sliding? really? then whos taking over ? plz say UOW! :p

gem_max

HSC
theres always secret rumours that UNE is on the brink of closing so watch out for those ones. Theyve been doing the rounds for years so its up to you whether you believe them or not.

Ashleet

HSC
Originally posted by gem_max
theres always secret rumours that UNE is on the brink of closing so watch out for those ones. Theyve been doing the rounds for years so its up to you whether you believe them or not.
yeah ive heard somthing like that before, but it was more on the downsizing rather than closing

gem_max

HSC
ah yes i heard that one on the news. Did they really close the IT section? I had IT as my second pref in uac so it was odd to hear that one.

Ashleet

HSC
i'm not sure, i still know alot of computer courses are running, but im not sure about specifics

sepul

HSC
No I don't think that's quite true, the media spreads them and possibly makes them a bit worse. The media just gets false information, "dressing" it up a bit, then spreads it to many many many people, and because they are ( for a lot of people, not me ) a reliable source, people believe them.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Umm UNE is pretty much unknown as a law school. The big ones are USYD, UNSW, Melbourne, Monash, ANU, UQ, Bond, UWA. Then there's a second group with UTS, Macquarie, Wollongong, etc. Law schools outside of major cities tend not to be recognised as highly. It'd be harder to organise external competitions, there would be less funding from firms, etc.

This is not to discount the quality of teaching...just its repuation by the profession.

santaslayer

HSC
UOW is running a few of the mooting/negotiation/mediation/witness examination competitions this year!

woohohoohoo

captain oblivious
HSC
id just like to say- gem_max, it is possible to lick your elbow. my sister can do it, and easily at that. thank you.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
It's a reference to my chum Gem's signature about people licking elbows... She doesn't post here anymore I don't think, but she's on AUF with me.

UOW is running a few of the mooting/negotiation/mediation/witness examination competitions this year!
Ahh cool. UOW is a good law school...though that acronym shits me. (Since when did 'of' get a letter??)

Macquarie has everything that you can do at ALSA. But we don't have letter writing, (which isn't at ALSA anyways, but some unis run it with cash prizes). My senior mooting team are 2 wins and no losses, good chance to make semis...wooh, go me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)