Republic? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Does anyone beside me believe that australia should become a republic? I mean, what's the point of having a queen?

mimi2195

HSC
I agree that it should become a republic. Would love to see an Australian president as the official head of state! But people still think that our relationship with England is important and we should not cut all ties AND some still feel that Britain is part of their identity. (even though Australia is more culturally diverse now)
:spin: i don't see a point in arguing this anyway.. everyone has different opinions!

HSC
@clockwork: are you serious?

@mimi: I agree with you 100%! But I guess if we were to have some global political/social turmoil, Australia would want to be closely affiliated with Britain :)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I would support a republic. I don't think it is a urgent, pressing issue however.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Happy middle ground: Grab one of the lessor Windsors (I vote for Harry, that charming young whipper-snapper), give them an Australian spouse and crown them King/Queen of Australia.

mimi2195

HSC
@mimi: I agree with you 100%! But I guess if we were to have some global political/social turmoil, Australia would want to be closely affiliated with Britain :)
Yeah, I don't really see our affiliation with Britain necessary. International trade these days is increasingly competitive and the way Australia positions itself as a nation is important. The Queen is also an ungrateful bitch lol, when she travels overseas she promotes British companies and British trade, not Australian interests. so wtf is the point?

ArguablyMitch

HSC
Absolutely. We have worn-off the need for "Mother Britain."
It makes me cringe when I think of the fact that Keating lost office just as he was getting the case for an Australian Republic off the ground.

Lentern

HSC
I think Britain should become a republic. But after Dennis Skinner retires from the commons, he's too much fun with his Queen heckling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)