representation n text 4 julius ceasar (1 Viewer)

braindead

HSC
wat does representation and text mean??

i called the hsc advice helpline and they completely threw me off track. I Called three times same question, three diff answers. 4 jc do we hav to show how power is represented physically, crown sword, lighting... or wat? becoz isnt it a script how the hell am i supposed too noe wat their wearin!!:confused:

tempco

HSC
Wearing? I think you're way off track.. I don't think the syllabus is referring literally to representation of power, like a crown etc. My teacher basically pointed out the aspects of powerplay JC highlights (eg. its transient nature, role of language).

Hope that helped.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
what did they tell you?
i guess it's how the text, as a play, show the way powerplay works. and i don't think you need to say what they're wearing, it's more like how the techniques convey powerplay. (costume is a technique as well, but i don't think it's something we talk about in shakespeare?)

like the juxtaposition of scenes to show how each person exerts power over others, what's happening onstage/offstage (scene where cassius is manipulating brutus and the shouting offstage heightens drama), supernatural phenomena, the stuff in the assassination scene... etc

tempco

HSC
Yeh.. talking about costumes wouldn't be a strong argument... Orson Welles had produced his own version of Julius Caesar, but with modern costumes.. not sure whether the script was altered (I doubt it). Besides, I don't think it specifically states any where in the script that Brutus was wearing a toga or Caesar had that leaf thingy on his head (what was it called?).

sophi

Representaion refers to how something is portrayed. Our teacher did this exercise in class where she gave 3 people the word elephant and independently 1 had to draw an elephant, another write a sentence about an elephant and the other do a mime of an elephant. All 3 are different representations of an elephant.

Therefore JC is a representation of Roman history and the powerplays involved.

I know it sounds really stupid and childish but it really cleared this matter up for me.

In relation to the text JC (which is what you should disscuss and not a production of JC, which rules out disscussing costume etc.) you discuss representations of power, for example Cassius is represented as exerting the power of manipulation over Brutus when persuading him to join the conspiracy by using flattery and appealing to Brutus' vanity and pride. Just pick out examples such as this.

Hope it helps!!

braindead

HSC
Thanx guys. ur advice helps alot. and sophi the elefant thing is not childish and stupid it certinly helped me to understand representation.
the hsc 'help' line lady, went on and on about lighting costumes, stage settings.....and said u didn't need to watch the film to get the techniques only read the book. she also said most of the marks are allocated to 'HOW' power is presented. eg julius standing on a platform, sword and the 'leafy thing' on the head she didnt even noe the name.
after she told me all this i completely flipped!!!!! i called all my frends they too paniced, called my teacher, emailed her, rang advice line another three times and asked u guys.

anyway thanx heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
no, you should be fiiiiine, our text is the play, not a production!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)