Repeating year 12 (1 Viewer)

TheDream

HSC
N/A
Hi there.
I'm thinking about repeating year 12 if I don't get a UAI of at least 90.
Are there any penalties or disadvatanges(besides the fact that it is time-consuming)?

Also, what subjects are the most easy to pick up in year 12 that don't really require much knowledge from the first 2 units(yr 11)?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
TheDream said:
Hi there.
I'm thinking about repeating year 12 if I don't get a UAI of at least 90.
Are there any penalties or disadvatanges(besides the fact that it is time-consuming)?

Also, what subjects are the most easy to pick up in year 12 that don't really require much knowledge from the first 2 units(yr 11)?
oh no, why?

But if you insist on repeating, just repeat subjects that you already did. That way, you already have some established knowledge on those subjects.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Pathways or transfer after first year in another degree. Repeating is pointless.

TheDream

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
oh no, why?

But if you insist on repeating, just repeat subjects that you already did. That way, you already have some established knowledge on those subjects.
I guess I wanna try sunjects that are considered 'easier'

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
TheDream said:
I guess I wanna try sunjects that are considered 'easier'
There is no "easier" subject. It really depends on individuals. And you can see that "easier" subjects might have lower scaling which may have adverse effect on your UAI again.

If I were you, I would try to take advantage of your former education by repeating the subjects you already did.

TheDream

HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Pathways or transfer after first year in another degree. Repeating is pointless.
The (UAI + Uni grades)/2 thing throws me off.
I wanna get into Bcomm @ ANU and I don't think I'll have a high enough UAI.
Wouldn't it be difficult transferring to a G8 Uni from one that is inferior?

TheDream

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
There is no "easier" subject. It really depends on individuals. And you can see that "easier" subjects might have lower scaling which may have adverse effect on your UAI again.

If I were you, I would try to take advantage of your former education by repeating the subjects you already did.
The subjects that I chose were not really of my interest.
I'm thinking of doing subs like biz, eco, bio, legal.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
TheDream said:
The subjects that I chose were not really of my interest.
I'm thinking of doing subs like biz, eco, bio, legal.
what did you do this year?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i'd say repeat the ones u did already, unless u actually did no work at all for them...
it seems ur not repeating for fun anyway, u want the UAI, so ideally, u shud do the same subjects to achieve ur UAI aim, you wouldn't want to do new subjects and fall short of your goal

TheDream

HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
i'd say repeat the ones u did already, unless u actually did no work at all for them...
it seems ur not repeating for fun anyway, u want the UAI, so ideally, u shud do the same subjects to achieve ur UAI aim, you wouldn't want to do new subjects and fall short of your goal
I absolutely hated chem and physics.
I think I'll replace them.
I've always wanted to do eco, biz or legal though.
They're subs I'll probably enjoy.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
TheDream said:
I absolutely hated chem and physics.
I think I'll replace them.
I've always wanted to do eco, biz or legal though.
They're subs I'll probably enjoy.
are u gonna risk not getting 90 uai if u repeat? if u dont get it this year, how do know ur gonna get it next time with new subjects?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
TheDream said:
The (UAI + Uni grades)/2 thing throws me off.
I wanna get into Bcomm @ ANU and I don't think I'll have a high enough UAI.
Wouldn't it be difficult transferring to a G8 Uni from one that is inferior?
No.

simmowrites

HSC
Personally, I think your putting a lot of pressure on yourself to get a UAI of 90.
Is doing another year of school really gonna help you get further in regards to tertiary education? Theres still a risk of not getting the UAI again. Why will next year be different to this year?

I wouldn't make any decisions until you actually get your results, its like, 2 days away.

There are other ways to get into a course if you dont get the desired UAI. I would be stoked to get a UAI between 80 and 90 lol, anything above is awesome, but school aint the end of the world.

Maybe talk to your careers advisor or year mentor or something, they might be able to shed some light on it as opposed to people who aren't maybe as experienced as they are.

Good Luck with it all :)

selablad

HSC
The ANU website says that a bachelor of commerce there only needs a UAI of 75...

Personally I wouldn't repeat year 12 - there are better ways of getting into the course you want, like transferring (as others have pointed out). And if you just want a UAI of 90 for the sake of it, well... it isn't the end of the world if you don't.

Timothy.Siu's right, you have no guarantee that you'll get 90 if you repeat anyway, so just move on. That said, good luck anyway!

TheDream

HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
are u gonna risk not getting 90 uai if u repeat? if u dont get it this year, how do know ur gonna get it next time with new subjects?
I don't want to die wondering.
I reckon I can if they're subjects I actually enjoy and aren't really really difficult.

TheDream

HSC
N/A
simmowrites said:
Personally, I think your putting a lot of pressure on yourself to get a UAI of 90.
Is doing another year of school really gonna help you get further in regards to tertiary education? Theres still a risk of not getting the UAI again. Why will next year be different to this year?

I wouldn't make any decisions until you actually get your results, its like, 2 days away.

There are other ways to get into a course if you dont get the desired UAI. I would be stoked to get a UAI between 80 and 90 lol, anything above is awesome, but school aint the end of the world.

Maybe talk to your careers advisor or year mentor or something, they might be able to shed some light on it as opposed to people who aren't maybe as experienced as they are.

Good Luck with it all :)
The things that would be different would be factors that have adverse effects on my performance this year. They have been a major distraction for me this year. I know about the compensation schemes and such but I do not want to be reliant. And also, like I stated in my previous post, I would choose subs I actually have an interest in.

TheDream

HSC
N/A
selablad said:
The ANU website says that a bachelor of commerce there only needs a UAI of 75...

Personally I wouldn't repeat year 12 - there are better ways of getting into the course you want, like transferring (as others have pointed out). And if you just want a UAI of 90 for the sake of it, well... it isn't the end of the world if you don't.

Timothy.Siu's right, you have no guarantee that you'll get 90 if you repeat anyway, so just move on. That said, good luck anyway!
I rang up ANU today and one of the ladys there told me the cut-offs are going to be low 80's next year.
I really hate the (UAI + Uni grades)/2 thing.
Transferring sounds hard.
All my teachers tell me there is always the 'backdoor'.

simmowrites

HSC
TheDream said:
The things that would be different would be factors that have adverse effects on my performance this year. They have been a major distraction for me this year. I know about the compensation schemes and such but I do not want to be reliant. And also, like I stated in my previous post, I would choose subs I actually have an interest in.
Its up to you what you do. You need to do whats right for you and don't worry about the bullsh it of what other people think. I know all too well how different circumstances can stuff everything up, im just lucky that these didn't happen in the hsc, rather beforehand.
Maybe starting over again would be a major motivation to do well and a clean slate for you, it might be just what you need.
If your doing subjects you like, you can't go wrong, too.

On the other hand, you might wake up on Wednesday morning and find that your UAI is above 90, i hope you do!!
Good Luck : )

TheDream

HSC
N/A
simmowrites said:
Its up to you what you do. You need to do whats right for you and don't worry about the bullsh it of what other people think. I know all too well how different circumstances can stuff everything up, im just lucky that these didn't happen in the hsc, rather beforehand.
Maybe starting over again would be a major motivation to do well and a clean slate for you, it might be just what you need.
If your doing subjects you like, you can't go wrong, too.

On the other hand, you might wake up on Wednesday morning and find that your UAI is above 90, i hope you do!!
Good Luck : )
Its hard not to listen to what over people have to say but anyway.
Thank you :]
Much appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)