MiK

Repeating, what are the pros and cons?

Last edited:

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MiK
Does any1 know how to go about repeating the HSC after recieving my highly likely bad UAI??????????? And are there any penalties attatched??????????
you could do it again at tafe just go and turn up and enrol or do it again at school (not recommendad the teachers might laugh at you)
there is no penalty involved but i think if your planning to do medicine than there is a 5% taken from your UAI.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
the main penalty is that if u end up doing worse than u did in the previous yr (ie, if u got 85 for 2u math in 2002, and 80 in 2003), then they still take ur latest attempt (ie, the 80)

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
it's also easy to become complacent. if you do the same subjects you're likely to get into the mentality of "i already know this" and you won't work as hard as you should. as a result you're obviously decreasing your chances of achieving a high uai
if you do get a bad uai this yr and don't get into your idea course remember there are HEAPS of other options besides repeating the hsc

ShirLz

keep in mind the fact that u will be wastin time doin sthg which u've already done - the hsc is not the end of the world, so y repeat it and make it seem like it is?

Fi

yeah i agree
i know alot of people who entered TAFE for a year or 2 and then entered uni, what i'm trying to say is that ur UAI is not the only means by which u can enter uni.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There is a lot of information available on repeating and accumulating courses here:

http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.html

I am fairly certain that there are no penalties whatsoever, aside from those you impose on yourself (by staying at school an extra year and so on). There is no change in UAI cut-offs, you'll need the same UAI as everyone else to get into medicine.

Jin-17

Just as a question, I heard from some people that if u do the HSC again in tafe, u may not have to do it for a whole year, but can instead do it much faster and quicker. Is that truth or is it a myth?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You could certainly finish the courses earlier if you chose to do so, but you would sit the actual HSC exams at the same time as everyone else.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
in tafe there is the option of doin yr 11&12 in one yr at night but i think they are for people who drop out of high school before they finish their yr 12 and want to get their HSC or Limited UAI for mature entry.

Soul

New Title...
repeating, pathways etc.

Trust me, it's not such a bad thing ( actually pretty good) if you decide to do it...

it depends on what course you want to get into, you'll need to think about whether you want to do it again and whether you're motivated to do you best 2nd time around...

All that 'stigma' and crap about 'coming back' is self-imposed, no-one really cares or if they do it only lasts about 1 week... so if you are repeating/pathways etc then you shouldn't be concerned, besides... you don't go back just to make friends... you go back to do you academic best

If you want to do it for yourself and you are sure that it's the right choice then GO FOR IT!

(it's worth it)

Jin-17

Originally posted by Lazarus
You could certainly finish the courses earlier if you chose to do so, but you would sit the actual HSC exams at the same time as everyone else.
How would they do the internal assessment than? Would they cram it in, so u have a test each week?

Jin-17

I think its really the person's shout. The individual know themselves better than anyone else do about yourselve. There was this guy who score a high UAI one year, but than repeated the seond year to get a higher UAI to get into medicine, which I thought was risky. But his success story is short and according to record only 5% do actually better than before I think.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Jin-17
How would they do the internal assessment than? Would they cram it in, so u have a test each week?
There aren't really that many assessment tasks, and there's really very little point in trying to complete the courses in six months anyway, because you'll have forgotten most of it by the time the exams come around.

I don't know how true that "only 5% do actually better than before" statistic is - wouldn't rely too much on that sort of rumour. :)

Jin-17

Originally posted by Lazarus
There aren't really that many assessment tasks, and there's really very little point in trying to complete the courses in six months anyway, because you'll have forgotten most of it by the time the exams come around.

I don't know how true that "only 5% do actually better than before" statistic is - wouldn't rely too much on that sort of rumour. :)
Yeah thats true, some of those stories mind my lanuage is BS in that they are trying to restore false confidence on people and giving them hope, but i guess without hope the human race would not be prospering as a race.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)