Repeat year 12 again?..... (1 Viewer)

kewlu

Banned
HSC
Hmmm. Pathways for me.

I'll do like 24 units.

FromDeeEast

HSC
i skipped yr 8 having moved from a selective school to a rural school, i aced yr 9 and everything was fine until.... i hit yr 11 i started to slack off, played wow, css, and couldnt be bothered with my studies. in yr 12 i went to get my L's and accidently missed a 4U maths test, which resulted me in getting a zero. Being shattered i repeated yr 11, well i moved back to yr 11, hoping i'd do better but being away from my friends, not going to grad when they did. They all left to uni and i am still stuck in yr 12. I hate it, i barely go to school anymore because its not the same. My friends back from 06 yr 12 tell me about all the cool shit they do in uni and stuff, while i am still asking to go to the toilet. I should of taken there advice and just continued the yr and hope for the best (get a 80ish uai and do an avg course) or atleast repeat yr 12 and not yr 11.

The reason i decided to do yr 11 again was because in my mind i thought if i concentrated and tried learning everything from fresh i might do alright. This yr i am probably going the same maybe slightly better then what i would have last yr. I have really lost motivation (its really different when u do 3 yrs of senior school).

My advice to u is, learn from my mistake try your hardest this yr. I personally dont know you but i would guess that u wont go better (not by much anyway if u do repeat). When i did repeat yr 11 I started with the motivation of getting a 98 uai, trying really hard, doing all my work and stuff. But when my friends left to uni, my views changed, and now i am hoping for a 85.....

its ur decision but pls think it through before making such a BIG decision. There are alot of factors that u havent taken into account.

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
Finally someone with first hand experience, yeh i think it is slightly odd how you choose to do yr 11 again?, but then again... well my story is very much similiar to yours to be honest except reason i lost motivation were personal and ill health, but now im reallly taking the blow big time. Just got my trial results back, and the are a shocker only one 3unit person past our maths 2unit trial.... LOL... but i guess ranking wise i shouldnt be too bad off but then again with 37% being handed in for my internal assessment for maths i think im really fuck.....especially the fact that i know i could have done way better!!!
I was talking to my dad today about repeating because he was getting the idea that im gonna end up at tafe, not that thats a bad thing. He told me to just do a course at uni where i would need a low uai and then transfer, but hello whats the point of that if i can just redo the hsc, at tafe b/w, just one year of my life that i was gonna waste on a bludgy course anyeways!
But now the idea seems more real to me that i should redo the HSC at tafe perhaps?... that would be a change i guess and plus i wont have to go back to schoooL!!!,
also im probably not going to know alot of people after high school anyeways so i guess on a social level i dont really care too much.

Well i really do think its my way into a course that will enjoy doing such as commerce, instead of wasting time in a course i hate!

Other than that i dont reallly see any other factors that im not taking into account???....or are there?...

etele

HSC
i know TWO 18 year olds in my prelim year, they're both intl students.
both in mx1!

HSC
well see the risk you run is that you go even worse than you do this year. up to you i guess.

if you're interested in commerce you can always do a business diploma of some sort at tafe and use that to get into uni.

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
Watatank the results that im getting im honestly gonna end up with a uai of around 70........

im 100% sure that if i go to tafe i will definately get alot better because in the beggining of my hsc i was gunning it, and was doing top in the grade but during the year my later assessments the marks feell dramatically because of several reasons, even my teachers acknowledge this. When i talked to them about what i can do about it is they said cant really do much except fill out misadventure forms but still that doesnt really make up for the possible potential that i have lost...

what i am still hoping though is to do really well in my externals and then try to appeal for my uai to be determined off my external exam marks... it that possible????

FromDeeEast

HSC
^yes it is, and trust me u will lose alot of motivation and might up end dropping school together if u do. Just try ur hardest this yr and get into a semi - related course (ie u want to something along the lines of accounting) do a finance and maths degree such as the 1 uts offers. Its pretty easy to switch after u get into uni, they never look at ur uai again.

Even if u did gun yr 11 and all, i was ranked top 10 in all my subjects in prelim, but i will still end up with an average uai due to my motiviation and commitment

Ademir

HSC
Repeating should only be an option if youre nowhere near where you want to be.

A UAI of 85 is achievable if you go really hard for the exams and werent THAT bad (im assuming you werent, since you say your marks varied) throughout the year. even if you miss it by a few UAI points, transfer.

its far far far far better to just try heaps harder now then repeat.

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
thats what i mean, my results in the first few assessments we did put my in the top 5 and first in econ for my subjects!,

i just got my report bak alot of my poor marks are being reflected but my teachers have commented that its due to a poor attendence with 29 days off school and 7 partial abesences! i think i have the worst attendence record in the whole school!!!!...

AAARGGHH! guys i have my mind made up, im going to go to tafe and complete my last yr of the hsc, i really think its unfair on me to have not been able to achieve so yehh!

FromDeeEast

HSC
^try missing 55 school days.

thats a whole term, and i'll still be more sucessful then those nagging teachers

ardei

HSC
N/A
I haven't read the thread over so I don't what has and hasn't been discussed, but here's my two cents from someone who has repeated Year 12 (and is currently sitting the HSC in 2007).

I got very sick in 2006 (the year I was supposed to graduate). Didn't go to school all of Term 3 and couldn't because of a slow recovery. I was doing reasonably well at school (selective), nothing special - probably achieve a 90 UAI at the rate I was going. And I only need 85 for Engineering.

Anyway, I decided to repeat as I was in no condition to sit my HSC in 2006. And the only options I was offered was repeat outright or sit the HSC and if I screw up, repeat anyway.

From experience, I wouldn't repeat unless you had some friends in the year below, or someone is repeating with you. It's always good to have someone who goes back with you, because the conversations you have with your 'new' friends are a bit empty as you have no history together. Also you will get depressed and shit, and need to stay motivated so that you don't get to relaxed with the knowledge you already have and think that that will drag you to the HSC. As you will find there will be a point where your new peers will overtake you and you need to actually put some work in.

The second year went by even faster than the first and it wasn't as bad as first envisioned. I gained a much better understanding of complicated concepts in Physics, Engineering Studies, Maths and English in particular. And in hindsight, my mates that are at Uni don't seem 'better off' to say the least. Uni is overrated - it's just like school anyway, except you're poor!

Currently, I'm looking at a 92-95UAI which is good since I only need 85, and I've applied for the Educational Access Scheme, so theoretically I only need 75ish. If I had to make the choice again, I would get an estimated UAI (in my case) or do pathways through TAFE or something, Year 12 again was just a bit too tedious.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Only repeat if your performance throughout the year has been incredibly bad(affecting your end results to a large extent) and you know that you will be able to keep up and put in the effort, second time around. So many people i know have repeated- and haven't done any better but there is one guy i know who repeated and came out with 98.9 uai (Mind you, he is very smart) :)

If you do happen to repeat - i'd suggest you do it at Tafe. From personal experience i found the tafe environment to be a lot more easy, calm and comfortable + you dont have to deal with the year 11s.

Good luck :D

Last edited:

fishy89sg

HSC
yeah, ive also heard that tafe for the year after the HSC is good

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
ok so i guess i can finally conclude that i will be going to tafe next year to do yr12 again, thanks alot to everyone in this thread really did help me make this important decision!,

THANKS AGAINNN GUYYSS!!!

HSC TAFE HERE I COMEEEEEE!!!!..................

ksammeh

Neuseeland
HSC
Much like eternalsoul6, i too have done REALLY bad in year 12. Consider my marks to be roughly around the mid ranks for all my subjects except maths and adv. english where i'm placing bottomish.. Do I still stand a chance of getting 83 UAI if I get band 5's and 6's D:?

I'm worrying my ass off atm >_>

yeeshu

HSC
eternalsoul6 said:
ok so i guess i can finally conclude that i will be going to tafe next year to do yr12 again, thanks alot to everyone in this thread really did help me make this important decision!,

THANKS AGAINNN GUYYSS!!!

u had this mindset since hlf way thru ur HSC?!?!...i thought u only got this mindset after ur trials...hmmm u've screwed over ur life mate...as i've said 10-20 times to u....

**u will regret it**

pixxietat

HSC
eternalsoul6 said:

THANKS AGAINNN GUYYSS!!!

You wont regret it, I did my pathways through school and i think it was the most responsible decision I've ever made. It's only one year, and in order to get to where you want to be, one year isnt that bad. I felt that if i didnt go aswell as I wanted in my hsc then I would have wasted the past 2 years of my life, and i mean we do school for 13 years, and that whole 13 of it, it was always drummed into to me to do well at my hsc.
so yeh, think of it that way, it only one year, like int that better than feeling like you've failed?

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
pixxietat said:
You wont regret it, I did my pathways through school and i think it was the most responsible decision I've ever made. It's only one year, and in order to get to where you want to be, one year isnt that bad. I felt that if i didnt go aswell as I wanted in my hsc then I would have wasted the past 2 years of my life, and i mean we do school for 13 years, and that whole 13 of it, it was always drummed into to me to do well at my hsc.
so yeh, think of it that way, it only one year, like int that better than feeling like you've failed?
thanks so much for that, totally reflective of my perspective. Exactly what im on about!
As long as i get to where i want to be its not going to concern anyone if ive had to spend another year, since im most certain that i will achieve what i want.

JUST A REAL LIFE EXAMPLE

A family friend just finished his pharmacy degree, but he always wanted to do medicine and he just got in through gamsat after finishing his pharmacy degree. So even after his degree hes going to be spending another 4 years to complete medicine, so does that mean hes wasted 4 years doiing pharmacy???

well id say no since hes where he is now and thats all that matters

TO YEESHU - Suck me off....... lol jokes cu at cricket on sunday im gonna kik ur ass...

Last edited:

yeeshu

HSC
hahahah kik my ass...u got fcukkin tired after 10 minutes lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)