Removal of English as a REQUIRED subject. (1 Viewer)

Do you think that English should be used automatically.

• Yes

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 88 44.2%
  • No - But I would do english anyway.

Votes: 43 21.6%

• Total voters

breesy

Hi,

In general I think the current UAI system is reasonably fair and a good effort on the behalf of the UAC, however I have one complaint; English.

While I can see why english was made a compulsary subject in the calculation of the UAI (English [2 Units] + Best 8 Units ) and have no problem with agreeing that english should be passed by every student within NSW, but, I dont think it is ultimately fair for it to be forcibly used in the calculation of UAI.

My ultimate question is what would be the best way to get english changed into a 'normal' subject with the UAC? Normal being one that can count towards your UAI if its one of your best 10 units.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The thing is, even if say English didn't have to be counted as part of the calculation, people will ultimately just 'do' english and not even study for it. (Which is not what the board of studies wants). i.e. there is no point in making English compulsory if that is the case.

A similar example is catholic schools who have to do religion as compulsory subject. And I know a lot of people don't seem to really attempt it...

But yeah, I presume the board of studies/UAC would be the place to start if you plan to try your miracle in getting English not to count :p

santaslayer

HSC
1) Start emailing/writing to BOS, stating your suggestions. (persistent)

2) Start your own lobby group consisting of former and current HSC students, parents and a wide cross section of society. :p

3) Involve the media (ACA /TT) :uhhuh:

4) Sign petitions

5) Hold strikes in front of the BOS headquaters

6) Use local government to your full advantage.

7) Get support from all levels of government

8) High court ruling??? :p :p :p

IE: This is all on the basis that you have good reason to abolish/amend the current system.

Sanchez__

HSC
If you had asked a month ago or any time before that I would definately said that english should not be compulsary in the calculation of UAI. Perhaps even that it should not be compulsary at all. However, after finnishing the english course ive changed my mind and voted yes on your poll.

I have moved from last year coming 110th in the grade to this year I am currently coming equal 1st (we wont get our trials back till tommorow). Perhaps this has made me biased but english was made to be compulsary to count as 2 units for a reason. The board of studies obviously wants people to study it seriously. I know if it was not having to count I would not have tried and would probably still out of the top 100. More importantly I do feel I got something out of the english course I dont get from my other subjects. It is probably not completely fair as you say but I would say communication skills are important as well as other aspects of the english course. It actually made me think about my beliefs and about humanity.

I really have no idea how you would go about getting enlish back to 'normal' status so I cant help you there. I doubt the board would change its ways because a few students tell them to since they made it the way it is for a reason.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I'm coming first but i still dont want it to count. I would rather my 2 units that wont count to replace my english mark

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
Much as i don't like english (and believe me i have been bitching it for most of the past 2 years), i can also see its value as a common denominator subject to compare students. It forces people to at least look the way language influences things (some parts of the course are better than others at this, but the generalisation still stands i think), and this is important for people who wouldn't get this otherwise, ie a science/maths dominated set of subjects, because as someone said, communication skills and an understanding of english and how it works is quite important in modern society.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Nup, make the little ones do it. If i have to endure through this hell, so do they.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
By the end of the year you wont care about english.
So much stress at the moment... am I the only one that thinks alot of the stress is unfounded? Why are you stressing? is it going to dramatically change your life?

If you couldn't get the right uai to do law at the university you want to go to... (because it has the highest uai) and you're forced to go to a different uni, get a different degree, maybe transfer... what's the problem?

I know a guy who left in year 10 and does nothing but mow people's lawns now... he's a happy bloke, and you guy's cant be happy with not getting the perfect uai, for the perfect uni, at the perfect time?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
We've had these debates before and it all boils down to this fact.

You live in an english speaking country. You need to know english for your life while you live here.

It really isnt that hard, it helps you with other aspects of life, and frankly is a shitload more useful than calculating the changing velocity of a falling rock from a cliff whilst you stand 150 metres and 38 degrees from point A.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
AsyLum said:

You live in an english speaking country. You need to know english for your life while you live here.

It really isnt that hard, it helps you with other aspects of life, and frankly is a shitload more useful than calculating the changing velocity of a falling rock from a cliff whilst you stand 150 metres and 38 degrees from point A.
Yo first part is true, but come on second part!!
DEE SQUARED WHY BY DEE TEE SQUARED MAN

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
If you ask me, they should get rid of English as the compulsory subject and form a whole *new* subject that incorporates things you actually need in life. Understanding the English language is, of course, necessary.. but I don't think deconstructing a text or analysing certain techniques used in a poem is vital for our survival.

It strikes me as odd that English teaches you how to write a 6-page essay on "Emma", General Maths teaches you the fundamentals of taxation... and English is the "fundamental" subject. Rather odd indeed.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
AsyLum said:

then make people do one humanity subject. Something that involves essay writing, structure and stuff.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
even though english dragged down my UAI a bit, I think it should be standard. Communication skills are important...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
we should have to do english, simple. but maybe a simpler version, one with grammer, teach the basics, then again we're supposed to have learnt them in jnr and primary school so they probably don't want to baby us

theone123

blue essence
HSC
We are in Australia, so inevitably english is compulsory and always will be.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Jago said:
then make people do one humanity subject. Something that involves essay writing, structure and stuff.
You mean similar to SA's structure?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
wow yu guys speaka gooder english me i khant speaka engalish becausa ita doesnt cownt to my uai and my totur said i dunt have to studie its and wen i red my exampeles in my maffs terxt boke the werds are to haerd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)