• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Remembering information (2 Viewers)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Try recalling what you just read after the first/second read. I did this and saw improvements in memory and it's much more efficient than just reading something over and over again. One (roughly) 5-minute test can strengthen those memories to a great extent

Also, focus can be a factor. Try to focus as much as your can while reading

Another tip is to visualize. As you read, create images in your mind - this can be done with any topic, just be creative! So for example, if you are trying to remember each bone and muscle associated with the leg, you would construct a picture of a leg and add muscle groups and bones onto that picture ->best memory tecnhique imo
Great tips :D

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Memory capacity to some extent relies on a bit of individual talent/natural ability as well as various factors including passion for the particular subject, and ability to use a method that appeals personally to that particular person to remember stuff. Hence, before you start to memorise anything, you need to consider what type of a learner are you, i.e. are you a visual/kinaesthetic/aural learner or a combination and then once you identified the type of learner, you can then proceed to implement strategies that suits your own personal interests. The key to memory (this is from psychology lectures I learnt this semester) is not only in trying to make the information as personally relevant to you as possible, but also to use other techniques such as imagery, rehearsal (which requires repeated engagement with the information), it has been found that spaced out learning is much more effective than massed learning, what this means is essentially you are better off trying to remember stuff as you go along the semester rather than trying to cram it all in one go the day before the exam. Another technique that I always advocate is trying to explain the information to a mirror or to another person, if you can explain it in a way that the other person can understand it, it means you have a solid grasp of the information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)