Remembering ALL text? (1 Viewer)

nicole2511

in my trial exam, the frontline question asked us to refer to 'smaller fish to fry' in a question related to power and authority. but i think that it is VERY unlikely that they would specify- it'd be too much trouble and theyre too lazy..well im hoping so anyway

dissonance

damn...I wish I didn't read this thread. Now I'm worried about it. I'm SICK of having to study heaps of crap just *in case* its asked in an exam...drives me insane ------ they better not specify!

jessika

law chicky
HSC
here's my theory on it:

In the common paper, they will not specify which of the related texts that we have to write about because it would be really unfair to standard people - the paper is meant to be able to completed to by them too remember

And for the advanced paper, yeah they could, BUT, that would mean the markers would have to read the about the same poem etc over about 10000 times, which would become very boring and repetitive so its highly unlikely that they will do that.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
>you know 4 of the poems?!! ahh!!
>our teachers told us to learn 2!! (off by heart)...

Gosbell (our previous teacher) had all but forbidden us to learn "... Riding Westward" as it is "Too complex," and then recommended that we study 3... BAH! I hope the Advice line people don't know what they're talking about... :D

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
I'll b screwed for Donne if they ask me "talk about The Relique" coz ive gone for the easiest 4..and jus left the other 3....now i mite have to actually read up on them
I think that's technically possible but highly unlikely - there would be a lot of complaints. Personally I don't really know all of the poems that well - I know Valediction, Hymne to G my G etc, Batter, and Sunne R extremely well, I could bullshit my way through The Relique and Good Friday if cornered, but ask me "This is my playe's last scene" and I'd be screwed.

lizzies85

i think if they are goin to specify they will specify one and let you choose the other, from what ive seen thas what theyd do, but usually they dont specify

boycalledfox

hopefully if they specify, it will be the one that is most relevant to the module. otherwise it would be really unfair as people who thoroughly learnt the specified one would have a ridiculous advantage. unless it is one that i learnt thoroughly, then it is fair.

Tha Realest

im not worried..

for Change, theres only one question... it has to suit ALL the prescribed texts in Changing perspectives, self and worlds. they cant make any specific references to a text in the question..

For comparative study and representation and text, its a similar deal.. theres only 1 question for each elective..

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Tha Realest
im not worried..

for Change, theres only one question... it has to suit ALL the prescribed texts in Changing perspectives, self and worlds. they cant make any specific references to a text in the question..

For comparative study and representation and text, its a similar deal.. theres only 1 question for each elective..
yes well u probably only do like King Lear and 1984, so therefore 1 text

ppl like us are worried because there are many texts for say, John Donne and Sylvia Plath

I agree wit boycalledfox that some ppl mightve simply madly focused on 1, and if that comes up, yes they have a damn good advantage than someone generally learning all of them
so with that argument, they cant be too specific, as the HSC is meant to be FAIR RIGHT !?

hmm

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

the HSC is meant to be FAIR RIGHT !?

hmm
If only that was true, MinAi... if only...

"Oh Fool, I shall go mad."

edit: sorry, sudden attack of depression. I do agree that the HSC won't be asking for specific things. But if they do, it actually could apply to King Lear, couldn't it? (eg. asking for the blinding of Gloucester)

Last edited:

Jellymonsta

but anyone who has studied only one poem of Donne/Plath either studied poorly, or is probably not very concerned about the module in the first place... so it wouldnt be an unfair advantage because they wouldnt be too concerned about it... and only a small fraction of these non serious (gasp) students would have happened to have studied the right poem...
the HSC is designed by our wise and benevolent elders, and they wouldnt overlook something like that. :grinshak:

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
It's highly unlikely that they will specify which poem to write about because both Donne and Sylvia Plath are in the same elective (Poetry) of the Module. Therefore, to be fair to all canidates doing that elective, the question should be general enough so that all canidates can answer it.

If they had separate questions for JD and Plath, then who can say that both questions are equal in difficulty?

Teachers are only human. They'll probably start complaining to their union or something if they had to mark 5000 or so essays on the same poem.

Morgues

A few seem to think that they have to ask one general question in AOS
That IS NOT the case.......they can ask a specific question for changing worlds, another question for changing perspectives and a another one for changing self

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Anything's possible
but it's the probability of an event happening
P(E)=?

the probability of the event not happening
P(~E)=1-P(E)

too much maths study :(

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by Morgues
A few seem to think that they have to ask one general question in AOS
That IS NOT the case.......they can ask a specific question for changing worlds, another question for changing perspectives and a another one for changing self
Now, can they further split the change in self questions into questions on different texts you study (eg. one for My Place, one for Harwood)?
They can't ask a question on one of the poems of Harwood if they can't do that...

dissonance

ok, so they didn't make everyone specify any Gwen Harwood poem in Paper 1....:D

Does that mean the chances for them doing it in paper 2 for a text like Frontline goes up or down :confused:

....I'm really not a fan of all of this uncertainty :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)