• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religious Rites! Hsc! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenille_69

Me and my friend have been pondering over this syllabus for the past few days. As you know, you have the option of doing Rite of Passage, Rite of Public Devotion and Rites of Public Worship... But, in school we focused on Rite Of Passage. However, in the exam they can focus on the other two.
Is everyone just taking the risk and learning their own or doing more than one rite? And, are you doing both sacred writings and symbolism or just focusing on one?! This is sooo confusing!!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Tenille_Alyce said:
Me and my friend have been pondering over this syllabus for the past few days. As you know, you have the option of doing Rite of Passage, Rite of Public Devotion and Rites of Public Worship... But, in school we focused on Rite Of Passage. However, in the exam they can focus on the other two.
Is everyone just taking the risk and learning their own or doing more than one rite? And, are you doing both sacred writings and symbolism or just focusing on one?! This is sooo confusing!!
The syllabus actually implies you have to do but you are an idiot if you dont look at all three IMO

ie
∑ the nature, role and significance of religious rites:
– religious rites as significant acts performed/undertaken by believers in celebrating, symbolising and making present the central beliefs of the religious tradition
– three categories of religious rites:
- rites of passage, eg initiation, funerals
- rites of personal devotion, eg prayer, fasting, penance
- rites of public worship, eg temple ceremonies, liturgies, communion services, feast days, seasons, religious cycles
∑ religious rites and their effect on the everyday lives of believers:

For this section, students are to study TWO specific religious rites from TWO of the categories for TWO religious traditions.

Note: The rites chosen must be the same across each study.

2001 SOR syllabus http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au
my bolding to highlight
---------

I suggest you have a look at the syllabus as it will answer your questions for you

Last edited:

Tenille_69

snapperhead said:
The syllabus actually implies you have to do but you are an idiot if you dont look at all three IMO

ie
my bolding to highlight
---------

I suggest you have a look at the syllabus as it will answer your questions for you
Thankyou 'snapperhead'... but I have been over the syllabus many times, and have spoken with my teacher many times. All im asking is whether people are studying, for example, Marriage AND Communion services in Symbolism AND sacred writings... OR just taking the risk and focusing on marriage... Thankyou!! :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Tenille_Alyce said:
Thankyou 'snapperhead'... but I have been over the syllabus many times, and have spoken with my teacher many times. All im asking is whether people are studying, for example, Marriage AND Communion services in Symbolism AND sacred writings... OR just taking the risk and focusing on marriage... Thankyou!! :)
sorry...was actually responding to your original question
Originally Posted by Tenille_Alyce

Is everyone just taking the risk and learning their own or doing more than one rite?
which isnt what you stated above! (it was your second part of your question)

:)

I think you meant to ask "examples" not rites..the rites= passage, public worship and private devotion.

To respond to your question in light of what you said in the 3rd post, it doesnt matter as the Board cannot specify the examples that you use within your response. They can specify the rites (passage, public worship and private devotion) but not the actual examples you use.....
.: it doesnt really matter what you study so long as you study two examples from two rites from two religions noting that the rites must be same across the two religions!!

:)

Tenille_69

Okey dokes! thanks!

I'm not sure whether you are doing the HSC this year or not, but me and most of the people in my class are focusing on just Marriage and hoping they'll ask 'Rite of Passage'. Is there anyone else out there doing this? Or are you learning EVERYTHING? theres so much to know in SOR II!!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Tenille_Alyce said:
Okey dokes! thanks!

I'm not sure whether you are doing the HSC this year or not, but me and most of the people in my class are focusing on just Marriage and hoping they'll ask 'Rite of Passage'. Is there anyone else out there doing this? Or are you learning EVERYTHING? theres so much to know in SOR II!!
ROFLMAO

lol...not doing the HSC this year (look at my sig and profile)

sorry..thats the first time anyone has said that!

IMO...you should look at all three as they can specify and it is worth 20 marks...a full 20 marks...no a, b, c

nicksta_40

HSC
our teacher told us they can't specify, we only studied 2 rites this yr, not 3. He said they've changed the format this yr, instead of specifying eg: rite of passage, they'll just ask u to write about a 'religious rite in relation to 2 (or 1) of the following areas eg: human experiences'

Plz tell me he's correct, i know ur a teacher snapperhead and would never tell a student to take the risk and just learn the bare minimum...

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
nicksta_40 said:
our teacher told us they can't specify, we only studied 2 rites this yr, not 3. He said they've changed the format this yr, instead of specifying eg: rite of passage, they'll just ask u to write about a 'religious rite in relation to 2 (or 1) of the following areas eg: human experiences'

Plz tell me he's correct, i know ur a teacher snapperhead and would never tell a student to take the risk and just learn the bare minimum...
the board can do what ever they want. Last year they specifed (question a-even though it was a low marker under the old structure, they still specified a particular rite). Yes they have changed the format and I hope they wont specify (I dont think they will) but the syllabus allows them to do it as the wording is a bit murky...

they can ask anything as its based upon the syllabus. I think that this year it will be a compare contrast/question based upon two rites that you have studied in relations to one element...thats my guess so we'll see !!

You will be right...dont stress

edited 4:03 pm on the 3/11...2 hours after the exam started

They specified didnt they....told you they could. I wish they didnt but I told you they could....

Last edited:

NeRdY

HSC
So wait let me get this straight. Unlike in the past papers where the religious rites section had several parts to it, ie: a) b) blah blah, this year the format is DEFINATELY in the form of a 20 marker???

Is this what everyone is going on about cause i am majorly stressing. Our teacher only taught us the religious rite of baptism and Brit Milah. She briefly mentioned shabbat and prayer but i am so confused. that leads me to my next question. Does anyone know where there is another forum about shabbat and prayer in christianity.

THIS IS URGENT!!!!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
NeRdY said:
So wait let me get this straight. Unlike in the past papers where the religious rites section had several parts to it, ie: a) b) blah blah, this year the format is DEFINATELY in the form of a 20 marker???
this is correct. Your trials should have been in this format and you can see that the sample HSC paper is in the same format (see my stickied post on syllabus etc. Link at bottom of first post from memory

NeRdY said:
Is this what everyone is going on about cause i am majorly stressing. Our teacher only taught us the religious rite of baptism and Brit Milah. She briefly mentioned shabbat and prayer but i am so confused. that leads me to my next question. Does anyone know where there is another forum about shabbat and prayer in christianity.
cant help with a forum but I can recommend redslerts notes on rites. Plus you can have a look at the secret chapter from Living Religion with has some stuff on prayer from memory (see post in Cross religions subforum at top of SOR main page)

hope this helps a little

NeRdY said:
THIS IS URGENT!!!!
it always is !!!
LOL

NeRdY

HSC
Ok so now that the 20 marker is sorted out, i checked out the specimen paper at the bos and its all cool. but another problem have there been changes to the syllabus since august cause the bos states there has been but i cant understand it!!!

getting majorly stressed right now

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
NeRdY said:
Ok so now that the 20 marker is sorted out, i checked out the specimen paper at the bos and its all cool. but another problem have there been changes to the syllabus since august cause the bos states there has been but i cant understand it!!!

getting majorly stressed right now
where did you read that? There have been NO changes to the current SOR syllabus. You might have read something that is referring to the proposed syllabus for 2006/07.

Even if there was, think about it...since August??? ie 2 months ago ie when you were just finishing Yr 12....

LOL

Stop stressing!!!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Haha its actually tomorrow snappy, dont get me scared like that! I was preparing to bolt to school after i read this

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
sorry...got my tuesday and wednesday mixed up (think I have done this twice!)

fixed

what day is it today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)