• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

religion and biography for isp (1 Viewer)

kate86

hey just wondering if anyone did/is doing anything on cults or a cult leader, particularly David Koresh as part of their isp?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
dont see where it would fit into the syllabus......
ie its not "religion" but a cult..
might have to tweak your definitions if you are serious about doing this area.........

ie
Students learn about:

(A) the actions of one famous historical or contemporary individual of faith and principle

critical issues that shaped the actions of the individual

motivating forces that shaped the actions of the individual

(B) the influence of one famous historical or contemporary individual of faith and principle

the social context of their influence

the cultural context of their influence

the nature and extent of their influence

(C) responses to the individual

the responses made by their religious institutions

the responses made by social institutions.

maybe part c ???

as I said, you will have to tweak your defintions here I think

Last edited:

kate86

under religion and biography... section a) the actions of one famous historical or contemporary individual of faith and principle.

david koresh was part of a cult which broke away from the Seventh day adventist church. so i guess it could be considered religion....

kate86

i was thinking around doing it on this focus question

How and why did David Koresh convince the Branch Davidians he was the Messiah, leading his people to a promised land?

what do you think?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
I know where it is in the syllabus!! (the quote is from the biography section!!)LOL
The key is the term "faith and principle". This is what I was refering to when I said "tweak your defintions".
To be honest, I dont think that Koresh fits this description. If you take away the whole issue of the ATF and the FBI, he wasnt really an acknowledged person of "faith and principle" (which is implied in the syllabus) .... and no, the Branch Davidiansare not really classified as a religion as they didnt adhere to religious principles. (hence the term cult---Koresh thought he was the Messiah+he was a child molester/paedophile+he was a bigamist. Even the SDA disowned him before Waco.

Like I said, IMO I think youre really "pushing it" with this topic!!
Think about the person who may be marking it.... go ask them if it is ok!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
sorry- Im a slow typist!!

The question as it stands *could* become pure description (the ISP is about higher order thinking) so be careful here....
You may find it hard to get *good* info due to the "whole burning of the compound" thing which is now the big question over the Branch Davidians.
There were a couple of survivors but i think they have turned their backs on the whole thing so that *may* be an angle to look at re your question.

As I said, I think the topic falls down on the "faith ad principle" line so check it out with your teachers first as it would be a shame to do all this research and fail because of three words (I failed a couple of students this year because of this very thing ie it wasnt a topic you could do). You do after all, have to fit the topic areas perfectly to justify your choices

kate86

hey thats cool lol...

I just figured it could be an interesting topic as it is a bit original i guess. i was going to talk about David Koresh's teaching of the Seven seals and the beliefs of his 'church' and try to focus it as much on religion as i could. I just assumed it would be someone of 'faith and principle' as his sect broke away from a christian church. I might be wrong but didn't some prominent religions of today such as mormons and catholics begin as cults? i dunno...

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
yes thats true but they are acknowledged today as religions (if I can misuse the word- more variants not religions!).
The Branch Davidians dont really exist as such today (could be wrong here) so you cant say that they are a religion based on the principle that some /most churches started as "cults" (in the original context of the word)

As I said, I reckon part c is the best way to attack this if you are determined to do this topic.

Another option *could* be visual arts or literature (I cant remember which one) if you can find and analyse one of the many movies/telemovies that have been made about the Waco burning....
Just another thought......

kate86

yeah i think i'll just see. Because i think the whole 'principle' thing might be difficult. Because he might have been a man of faith but not of 'good' principle! Thanks for your help though i really appreciate it. :)

Gorjess

hey im from de la salle collage cronulla..... and i was wondering wether anyone has done mother teresa for the isp..... if so contact me.. would be great to discuss... some issues...etc

xoxox

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Gorjess, you should post it as another thread as ppl may not read this one + your request isnt really realted to this post as such.
New thread= more ppl will see it
Just a suggestion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)