Relating Lord of the Flies to Belonging (1 Viewer)

hsc0909

HSC
N/A
well the title is pretty much it. i picked the book as my related text but finding it pretty hard to relate to belonging. help anyone? :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hsc0909 said:
well the title is pretty much it. i picked the book as my related text but finding it pretty hard to relate to belonging. help anyone? :)
Lord of the Flies?

lol

moshizzle

HSC
how about in the beginning when they work together to build shelter, hunt for food, etc. this communicates that the boys want a place of safety and comfort, and they are looking to create a micro-society, somewhere to belong?

Abbatha

HSC
How about how personal beliefs and values influence an individuals ideas on belonging? i know this is a pretty late reply but whatever,
i think William Golding is talking about how at the beginning the boys all think that the way to belong is to emulate the society from which they are cut off and that Ralph is practically a personification of the society because of his characteristics. However, jack starts to think that he isn't being appreciated and enforces his own alienation from the group and then persuades the other boys that the way to truly belong is to become hunters, this is even further enforced by the fact that Piggy has never belonged in the group because of his health and looks and creative mind and the boys begin to see Ralph as practically Piggy's puppet.
The after the coup Ralph and piggy find that they no longer belong to a group that has practically become focused on pain and the pleasure they derive from inflicting it and in a last ditch attempt to belong they join around the fire when they are all dacing and chanting which is when they kill simon. This proves to ralph that the beliefs held by the boys and Jack are completely different to his and he could never belong to their group as he doesnt believe in the thing that is holding them together.
The eventual affect of this is that Piggy dies, the conch shell is smashed symbolising a loss of civilisation and Ralph is hunted down, this is due to his outsider status and the fact that he didnt conform to the violence that was a prerequisite to belong to Jacks group....
thats just my thoughts though.. so i don't know if they are right but if i had to somehow twist Lord of the Flies into a belonging text, thats prob what line i'd go for...

funk1234

HSC
I am thinking about using this text for the trial HSC on Monday, I have others but my dad said that this one would be good for belonging. But I don't know weather this is the best one for it. :read: :read: :read:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)