Related texts - global (1 Viewer)

E

Empyrean444

Note: I understand there are other threads like this; but the current options are not inspiring.

So: does anyone know of any related texts that could be used for this most wonderful topic, which never ceases to bring me gargantuan amounts of eternal joy? I'm looking for poetry/prose stuff that's more pro-global than pro local.

Any help appreciated.

pamelacohen

HSC
Some of the best responses I have read on this topic area have used: The Village ( Film), The Rabbits ( picture book),Spotswood ( Australian Film); a range of essays on globalisation and analytical reports on the stockmarket. Other texts that have plenty to discuss are:
Women’s Liberation by Lisa Bellear (Indigenous poet) and The Nanny Diaries ( film with some real insights once you get past the so so acting- especially the role the anthropological museum plays in the film).

Hope of some use.

Last edited:

Coolmeister

HSC
1. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (contemporary fantasy) - Shadow (the protagonist) is caught up in a conflict between traditional [local] pagan gods and the new [global] gods of technology, media, etc.

2. Serial Experiments Lain (cyberpunk anime) - Lain explores the Wired [a kind of global reality], and eventually embraces it and integrates herself within it.

Maybe also consider The Arrival by Shaun Tan?

legendfunk

HSC
1. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (contemporary fantasy) - Shadow (the protagonist) is caught up in a conflict between traditional [local] pagan gods and the new [global] gods of technology, media, etc.

2. Serial Experiments Lain (cyberpunk anime) - Lain explores the Wired [a kind of global reality], and eventually embraces it and integrates herself within it.

Maybe also consider The Arrival by Shaun Tan?
Someone suggests anime? *applause*

Sorry that I can't remember exactly but we've been recommended all these Indian writers and novels, can't remember the names but most of them discuss this concept as India has gone through this mass globalisation over the past few decades.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)