Related texts for powerplay? (1 Viewer)

M

mushi

how many related texts are we supposed to have for powerplay?

is 1 enuff? or is 2 better to be on the safe side?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
the questions usually ask you to refer to other related texts. so one is probably not enough.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
one is definitely not enuf...
but the question might ask for only one other.. or two other...
learn two, and know a third one real briefly in case the qustion's completely screwy.

connie

HSC
N/A
what are some good related texts people are using or have heard of?

LUVELS

Some good related texts for powerplay are "Brave New World", "Enemy of the State", any articles that explain the way Big Brother the Show operates, George Bush's speeches relating to the war on terrorism, etc etc etc
hope this helps

tieki

Don't use Brave New World...bad! It's an HSC text for In The Wild...using it is highly frowned upon, even if you haven't studied it elsewhere...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by tieki
Don't use Brave New World...bad! It's an HSC text for In The Wild...using it is highly frowned upon, even if you haven't studied it elsewhere...
It doesnt really matter that much
I used Star Wars (a Changing Worlds text) as a related text for Nineteen Eighty Four, and it didnt really affect me that much, my teachers said it was fine

tempco

HSC
I'm studying Julius Caesar as my focus text, with Nineteen Eighty-Four and Hitler: Men of our Time (Documentary). Using a focus text of the module as a supplementary text isn't really a problem. Well, that's what my teacher said anyway.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
I'm studying Julius Caesar as my focus text, with Nineteen Eighty-Four and Hitler: Men of our Time (Documentary).
I'm doing JC and using 1984 too. My other related is Erin Brockovich... I'm using it as related for two modules :)

In one of the standard packages, there was a really good response using John Donne's poem "The Flea"... though I didnt really get how it related.. but have a look

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
oh one thing.. could they ask us to do prescribed text only for the question?

HannieStar

Tahat is so unlikely, pretty much because the related materials of candidates are often a definitive indicator of their ability, sophistication as writers and their literacy than the focus text.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
if you're going to do something sophisticated and tedious, it's a good idea to use a visual as another supp text. they're quick and you can talk about heaps of techniques.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
If anyone's worried about using 'Brave New World' because of the other-module issue, I recommend using Yefgeny Zamiatin's 'We'. It's a text that heavily influenced Brave New World, and it covers powerplay through an autocratic 'One-State', under the seemingly endless reign of the 'Benefactor'.

Much like Brave New World, a 'doomed revolt' is in the text, with dire consequences for the text's protagonists, I-330 and D-503 (Dehumanisation right there..) Could work. (And if not, it's good to mention in 'In The Wild', for demonstrating the influence of context on Brave New World. :D)

Only problem is that it's a hard novel to find, for me at least. (Luckily managed to find it second-hand for cheap.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)