related text for extension english (1 Viewer)

rach2896

HSC
N/A
i am doing extension English year 12 the language and gender option and my related text is pride and prejudice which has worked so well! however, i am concerned that because pride and prejudice is a prescribed text in an elective for advanced English (i have not studied pride and prejudice in advanced English though). that the markers do not like that sort of thing, using prescribed texts as related texts as they would not know that i didn't study it in advanced. do you think it would affect my mark in the hsc?

thanks heaps

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
It won't affect your HSC mark, it'll just be frowned upon that you've used a prescribed text, even if you haven't studied it. If you are going to use it, your analysis and insight into it has be super profound so its better to use less common texts because markers are less familiar with it and gives you opportunity to make a better impression if you feel what I mean haha

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally wouldn't do it a lot of schools use 'Pride and Prejudice as a prescribed text; so like rumble said your analysis would have to be pretty amazing considering how many hundreds of essays they'd have read on it.

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
You should use Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I'm only half-joking.

If you are after similar texts, there are a whole bunch of other Victorian-era novels that could suit you. I mean, it's not like Austen just wrote the one novel either.

As an aside, I had a supplementary text system whereby my related texts for English 2 could be repurposed for English 3, vice versa, and the major influences on my English 4 were also adaptable to both other units...which gave me some very useful buffer in a couple of instances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)