Related text for conflicting perspectives, snow falling on cedars. (1 Viewer)

Green024

HSC
Alright, so we need a related text for conflicting perspectives, and my first thought was the new x men, days of future past - there are clear conflicting perspectives between the future characters and the past characters (which also results in a circular narrative) and discrimination [for mutants] is rife, thus tying it with Snow Falling on Cedars. As for representation, well...

(i've also heard that 'the social network,' is a good text, but i fail to see how

HSC
N/A
Sorry, I don't know the new X men movie, so I can't comment. Maybe you know all this, but the "representation" part for this module is really important. It basically asks you to identify a conflicting perspective as it is shown to us by the composer(s). Composers reveal conflicting perspectives for a number of reasons-perhaps to appear impartial, or keep us interested, or to persuade us to think about the personality or situation or event-or maybe all of these. They certainly want us to see that there are no easy answers/black and white situations, and that individuals tend to be influenced by their contexts and perspectives. This is the case with your prescribed novel, where different viewpoints cause individuals and groups to act in emotional and unjust ways. The author represents these perspectives, using personal and collective experiences, natural detail, symbolism, a serious tone and the intertwining of the past and present, to ensure that, while we see the different perspectives, ultimately we know that Guterson is taking a strong stand against injustice. He represents the conflict so that we are sympathetic, in the final analysis to HIS point of view.
That's what you need to look at in a related text as well. What is the composer's perspective? what has influenced that perspective? What opposing perspective is revealed? How have these been shown to their audiences?
So think about a personality, situation or event which is controversial-one that has some societal impact e.g. personalities like Julian Assange or Mark Zuckerburg or a politician; situations like Russia's role in the Ukraine or whether global warming is a myth or if all of that money should have been spent on the world cup in Brazil; events like the killing of Osama Bin Laden or the assassination of Malcolm X.
There are many films on personalities, such as "The King's Speech", "The Social Network" and "The Iron Lady" which demonstrate 2 sides of that particular individual and plenty of news reports on contemporary events, either visually or in written media. Many times, the director or columnist has a specific viewpoint, but wants to appear unbiased. What techniques does he/she use to persuade us to agree with his/her perspective? How is a character or issue presented so that we are manipulated to share that point of view?
The main conflict in "Cedars" is clearly a cultural one-not that the conflict you choose has to be the same-and there are (unfortunately) many cultural clashes in the world today. If you selected a film, article, speech or television program which depicted a conflicting perspective on divisions between cultures you could have strong links to your prescribed text. All the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)