• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Related Text Discussion - Fight Club (1 Viewer)

BrotherBread

HSC
I have decided to use Fight Club as one of my related text for the area of study. Now while still trying to find out exactly how I am meant to make textual examples for journeys (segments or the entire journey) I am having some trouble with examples. I know this text is full of examples of journeys but so far all i can come up with is basic analysis of some quotes and that they way they relate is as defining definite milestones in a journey, e.g when Tyler gives hte narrator (Jack) the chemical burn so that he no longer fears death. And some stuff on identity (which I'm not sure how it relates to journeys exactly) e.g The narrator (Jack) constant reaffirmation via voice overs or spoken dialog. "I am Jacks complete lack of surprise".

As I said previously I am unsure of how to reference something as drawn out as the journey undergone in the realisation of Tyler as a second personality who ultimately helps the narator (Jack) become more masculine and less inhibitited by the consumeristic society. And how ultimately Tyler helps him change such that he is more primal than before, to what he percieves he could have been if he had a male role model in his life.

I need some help in how to analyse this text and if anyone has some notes on this text themselves than I would very much appreciate it if they could share some of their thoughts on the movie so I can build on them to use them it owuld be very much appreciated.

In addition I have chosen as my second text the graphic novel of V for Vendetta, would anyone advise against the use of a film that was a book, and a graphic novel that became a film as related texts?

Dave2007

HSC
I'm doing it, so you may not.

Don't make me set my ninjas on you.

Anyway if you're looking for related texts you need to make sure what it "says" about your type of journey (imag, phys, inner) matches what your prescribed text "says" about journeys. So say your doing imaginative journeys and the temptest, and you think it "says" journeys are a way of the regeneration of the social world, you need a supp. text that says that. Thats why I chose fight club; it has a journey to create something that is based on social regeneration, and has definite imaginative aspects (i.e. the split personality metaphor), and there are a shitload of techniques you can comment on.

D.K

HSC
I was thinking about also doing this text but my main text in class is "ender's game". Do you think it could relate?

rositamadeline

questionable
HSC
shit i didn't realise lost of people were considering it, i thought for some selfish reason that i was orginal.... oh well originality is over rated anyway

ricometa

HSC
ahhh im doing this too, my exam is tmrw and im only jus started preparing tonight
lalala ill b up all night
i lvoe it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)