• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Related material for Physical Journey (1 Viewer)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I wanna use Cast Away starring Tom Hanks for my related material in physical journey. Do you think it's an appropriate choice? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

P

pLuvia

hehe, that's what I'm using as one of the related texts :) but theirs plenty to choose from

Yeh it is a good text, since it reflects most of the physical journey aspects of

testing strengths and weaknesses
sacrifices
alienation from complacency
journey from one place to another
encounters
transformations
The trigger to the journey
Shows that journey are ambivilent

It will also be good for inner journey :p

That's all I can think of from the top of my head :) oh and also anti said in one of her threads that it was a good text to use, but I'm thinking that it will be used too much, hence not unique I don't know :p

here

power of one
angelas ashes
beautiful mind
castaway (REALLY GOOD!)
color purple
radiance
cider house rules

Last edited by a moderator:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yes! I'm doing it then! I got the dvd today, probably gonna watch it tonight, hehe.

Gummy_bear

HSC
Hi. Ive jsut finished my HSC, did physical journey.
In most cases you HAVE to be able to reflect on the outcome of the jurney. In other words, how it changed tom hank's character.
Did he become more assertive? Was he able to find a greater understanding of his life? etc.
What you really need is a few main scenes which show:
1. How he was at the beggining of the movie.
2. What experiences changed him
3. The impact the journey had on his life and understanding of the world and others around him.

You MUST be able to talk in depth about how the journey changed his understanding of his life, that of those around him and the world.
This is what physical journey is mainly about :how that journey change the individual.

I think this movie would be a very good related material.
Good luck
If you need any futher help PM me, im always glad to help ^^

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
oh wow. i neva realli realise that movie is related..@@
i am gonna use something realli weird ..>.>
like the alexandra the gr8t movie... hehehe

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Lol, i guess you can do anything really, as long as you can relate it to journey. :uhhuh:

treemonkey

im using Road Trip for one of my related texts, can someone help me with some techniques?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
treemonkey said:
im using Road Trip for one of my related texts, can someone help me with some techniques?
I have no idea what the text is about, but here's some guidelines to what techniques you should analyse:
Purpose, Structure, Tone, Imagery, techniques employed by composer to express journey, there's many more but these should get you started.

treemonkey

its a film, so do i still use these techniques or is there others that you use for movies?

Gummy_bear

HSC
treemonkey said:
its a film, so do i still use these techniques or is there others that you use for movies?
for a film it is best to choose the most relevent scene to what you are trying to discuss. Analyse the scene using camera shots such a high shot, close up, panning shot etc. Your teacher should have a list of different shots you can use.
also talk about mood, lighting, set and costume.

Whenever talking about a technique always follow it by stating what effect this has on the viewer.

Gummy_bear

HSC
treemonkey said:
for a film it is best to choose the most relevent scene to what you are trying to discuss. Analyse the scene using camera shots such a high shot, close up, panning shot etc. Your teacher should have a list of different shots you can use.
also talk about mood, lighting, set and costume.

Whenever talking about a technique always follow it by stating what effect this has on the viewer.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Also if the film has flashbacks, you should consider talking about those as this is a more common technique used by directors in recent films.

munkaii

HSC
Hey guys. its a little off topic but, is it frowned upon to use another prescribed text for the AOS? I was thinking of doing Rabbit Proof Fence. I'm studyin Skrzynecki as a pescribed text for school

Gummy_bear

HSC
munkaii said:
Hey guys. its a little off topic but, is it frowned upon to use another prescribed text for the AOS? I was thinking of doing Rabbit Proof Fence. I'm studyin Skrzynecki as a pescribed text for school
Teachers and markers prefer it if you choose one of your own, but as long as you have all the right content in your essay, they cant mark you down.
just like using a popular related text, the examiners cant mark you down for using a certain related piece, as long as you can analys it well and relate it to the question.

berra

HSC
munkaii said:
hey, uhm i'm currently studying yr 12, and my teacher is marking the HSC papers. She told us that the markers prefer that the student uses a related text of their own, rather than using a prescribed text for another school (she says that this shows the marker that the student has bothered and done some research). so its best to choose ur own.
i've got some related material which are all good;
-Priscilla - queen of the desert
-Beautiful ming
-castaway
-it's a wonderful life
-thelma and louise
-time machine

i hope i've been useful 2 some of u guys...

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Yep, at which I totally agree.

Try and find your own texts, most texts already posted up at Bored of studies Guides have probably been used countless, if not once. The best option would be to search the web for geographical articles like adventures to Antartica (Try your school library, you'll be amazed at how much stuff they keep under AOS: Journeys).

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I'm doing Cast Away for physical journey and there's heaps to write about it.

shanz76

HSC
im doing a movie called not without my daughter, but i thnik its based on a book. the hpysical journey is tons similar to skrzinecki's one so its easy to do. i reckon its better to do a movie as well coz it doesn't take as long to get through

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yeah, the best thing about movie is you don't have to remember quotes, other than dialogue and the techniques used in the film.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)