Related Belonging Texts Into the Wild? (1 Viewer)

ando08182

HSC
Hey I was wondering if anyone has some good insights into the movie Into the Wild that I can put into my belonging speech about the aspects and techniques used to convey it. I have a few ideas that I have written down and particular scenes but I need to bulk it up a little. Has anyone else used this as their related text? What did you do? What did you write about?

Cheers
:wavey:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I remember looking at that movie in class-it's a very popular RT.

Did you look on the resources for people's notes on Into The Wild?

From what I remember, the closing quote "Happiness is only real when shared" is a good overarching insight to explore. Also the natural setting, there may be elements of belonging there. Also, the scence about him rejecting the car, burning the money is all symbolic of him choosing not to belong to society.

ando08182

HSC
Is it too popular to use? I knew some people did it but I didn't think it was a popular choice? And cheers I'll have a look at the resources :)

rebeccatommo

HSC
Im thinking about doing this for my RT. I didn't think it was popular so many people I know haven't heard of it. Its kind of an "indie" film to most.
Im sure this year alot of people will do Perks of being a wallflower. I was going to do it as my RT but im 100% positive everyone else will :(

ando08182

HSC
Im thinking about doing this for my RT. I didn't think it was popular so many people I know haven't heard of it. Its kind of an "indie" film to most.
Im sure this year alot of people will do Perks of being a wallflower. I was going to do it as my RT but im 100% positive everyone else will :(
Yeah I get what you mean about it being an "indie" film but I am the only one in my year that I know of that is doing it. Many others are doing Perks of being a wallflower, mainly cause its a new movie. Others are doing Shaun Tan. I don't think its popular enough to annoy the markers about how many people do Into the Wild and I think you can do great things with it and manipulate it to show how belonging is expressed in different ways. The movie is a lot like an onion, it has plenty of layers that we can investigate which is the beauty of it. Plus I just love the movie :)

javiermasche

HSC
Any one else have notes on this movie. resources aren't great :p

I was also doing the film for my RT. I didn't know it was that popular but I just want to write about something I enjoy so i'll use it regardless :)

I have some (very basic) notes on the film typed up on this laptop.. maybe they'll be of some use to someone:

A sense of belonging can emerge from connections with:
• people
• places
• groups
• communities
• the larger world
People: Main points- Chris feels he does not belong to his family. He disapproves of the pressure from his family (which reflects society’s expectations) who expect him to have a successful career and have a high reputation (eg. His parents offer to buy him a new car to build his image). “Do you think I want some fancy boat? Are you worried what the neighbours might think?”
In the restaurant scene of Chris with his parents the quick editing and close ups of his father, mother and sister’s eyes emphasizes the judgment, criticism and family expectations.
In the family he feels a lack of intimacy which stems from his parent’s constant arguments and talks of divorce which create a negative atmosphere for Chris and his sister, Careen. Lack of intimacy is shown in the flashback of a family video. The grey and blue colouring contrasts with the euphoric laughing and playing. This suggests that his family happiness is false and highlights the disconnection, lack of affection, intimacy and love he feels in his family.
Shift in perception of belonging. Belonging is a two way process which involves external and internal acceptance. Chris is loved by his family but does not want to accept this love because he doesn’t agree with his parent’s ideology and detests them for their quarrels. Breaks away from family to live a life of solitude in the wilderness. This solitude is interrupted by flashbacks of the people he meets on his travels. Warm lighting and blissful music are in majority of the scenes to highlight their developing relationships, contrasts with vulnerability in nature lack of survival skills. This reinforces the significance of relationships with people. At the end of the film Chris comes to forgive his family- balances external and internal views in order to achieve belonging. “happiness is only real when shared” written as he dies- his connection with nature is not enough. Realizes the significance of family- Chris has a vision of him reuniting with his family (euphoric tone) his smiling facial expression show his full happiness to have forgiven and accepted his family.
Conclusion ? Perceptions of belonging can change. Belonging is dynamic, gradual and ongoing because experiences can influence one’s values.

that's just they gist of what i'd write if I got a question to do with people/relationships etc

jimmy_96

HSC
Can you do 'Into the Wild' as a related text even though it is on the prescribed text list for Module B?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)