Regretting subject choices (1 Viewer)

haevniy

HSC
hey! i'm doing studies in catholic thought, chemistry, biology, ceramics, pdhpe, maths advanced and english standard.

but i am regretting doing chemistry, i have barely passed all my exams and there is 4 weeks until prelims. do you guys have any advice? i was gonna do physics and i have been wanting to do physics since year 9 but idk what got to me while doing subject selections in year 10.

thanks!

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This is an interesting situation since dropping Chemistry would make you ineligible for an ATAR. Based on this, you should consider your goals beyond the HSC. Are you still interested in pursuing a career in dentistry? If so, a rational course of action would be to keep Chemistry (given that it is treated as assumed knowledge for relevant degrees) and try your best to improve in this subject starting now and as you commence and progress through year 12. The good thing about year 11 is that none of your results count towards your HSC marks or your ATAR, which means that you definitely still have a chance to turn things around in your favour.

At this stage, I believe that it would no longer be possible for you to take Physics, especially since you are approaching year 12. Taking a subject in year 12 inherently requires completion of the subject's year 11 course, which is a condition that has not been met in your case. This makes dropping Chemistry more questionable since you would be completely denying yourself the chance of improving in the subject with the aim of maximising your ATAR.

It is also important to keep in mind that, regardless of your specific study interests beyond the HSC, there are still other ways through which you can study your preferred degree (in the event that you do not achieve a sufficiently high ATAR), including opting for a slightly different/potentially longer study path with the aim of transferring or being admitted into your ideal degree at a later point in time.

I hope this helps! 😄

haevniy

HSC
This is an interesting situation since dropping Chemistry would make you ineligible for an ATAR. Based on this, you should consider your goals beyond the HSC. Are you still interested in pursuing a career in dentistry? If so, a rational course of action would be to keep Chemistry (given that it is treated as assumed knowledge for relevant degrees) and try your best to improve in this subject starting now and as you commence and progress through year 12. The good thing about year 11 is that none of your results count towards your HSC marks or your ATAR, which means that you definitely still have a chance to turn things around in your favour.

At this stage, I believe that it would no longer be possible for you to take Physics, especially since you are approaching year 12. Taking a subject in year 12 inherently requires completion of the subject's year 11 course, which is a condition that has not been met in your case. This makes dropping Chemistry more questionable since you would be completely denying yourself the chance of improving in the subject with the aim of maximising your ATAR.

It is also important to keep in mind that, regardless of your specific study interests beyond the HSC, there are still other ways through which you can study your preferred degree (in the event that you do not achieve a sufficiently high ATAR), including opting for a slightly different/potentially longer study path with the aim of transferring or being admitted into your ideal degree at a later point in time.

I hope this helps! 😄
thank you so much for your advice! i'll def keep chem and give it my all in the prelims.

carrotsss

HSC
hey! i'm doing studies in catholic thought, chemistry, biology, ceramics, pdhpe, maths advanced and english standard.

but i am regretting doing chemistry, i have barely passed all my exams and there is 4 weeks until prelims. do you guys have any advice? i was gonna do physics and i have been wanting to do physics since year 9 but idk what got to me while doing subject selections in year 10.

thanks!
You don’t really have a choice unfortunately, it’s far too late to change subjects and you don’t have enough units to drop it.

If it offers you any solace, imo the year 12 chem course is a lot better than yr11, you’ll probably enjoy it a lot more, and with enough effort you’ll be able to improve a lot :)

nsw..wollongong

HSC
You don’t really have a choice unfortunately, it’s far too late to change subjects and you don’t have enough units to drop it.

If it offers you any solace, imo the year 12 chem course is a lot better than yr11, you’ll probably enjoy it a lot more, and with enough effort you’ll be able to improve a lot :)
yeah exactly at least u don't have to sacrifice an arm and a leg to memorise the gas laws anymore

carrotsss

HSC
yeah exactly at least u don't have to sacrifice an arm and a leg to memorise the gas laws anymore
that was literally the biggest waste of time, why do I need to know about Gay-Lussac and whatever the other guys were when PV=nRT exists

nsw..wollongong

HSC
that was literally the biggest waste of time, why do I need to know about Gay-Lussac and whatever the other guys were when PV=nRT exists
yeah but i regret neglecting it in yr 11 bc it made up like 20% of my prelim paper 💀

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)