Registry Issues!? (1 Viewer)

Ninga

HSC
I've been having probs with my registry. I've gotten the "This file is corrupt or missing" when i open windows a couple of times now, and it refers to windows/system32/config/system. I've fixed this 3 times now with the windows xp recovery console, and then my computer will work for awhile before it just starts going shit slow and lagging and being a pain in the ass. Then i get this message again, chkdsk it with the recovery console, and it works for awhile again. So, i'm wondering if anyone else has this problem, and if there is a way to solve it for good, cos it's starting to shit me to no end. Cheers.

sunny

meh.
HSC
It does sound like something you have installed might be causing this. Try running some registry cleaning tools if you are sure its something to do with the registry, and the usual stuff of checking for adware etc etc

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Is this the recovery console your talking about ?
Type into "run" and windows will automatically scan your registry and then, if discoveed, asks you to put in the Win install CD and it will fix up the problem.
I'l search for it and be back with the cmd you can try.

Ninga

HSC
I use adaware, and i have nortons internet security. Adaware hasnt found anything in ages, so...yeah. If you have any other spyware scanning software that u'd recommend, let me know...

Um, i use the recovery console when i get the "file is missing or corrupt" message when i start up the computer. I restart it, boot from the XP cd, and then run the recovery console with the command chkdsk /r, which finds and fixes the error for me. But like i said, it comes back again after awhile...

Winston

HSC
heh you wanna know what's wrong with it?

basically you probably have bad memory stick right now which is corrupting your SYSTEM.HIV file, so in a nut shell it will continue like this till you change it, in most cases it's memory issues, however it might be some other factor too... to recover from such an issue, as mentioned you boot into recovery console and basically you restore the SYSTEM.HIV file from your C:\WINDOWS\repair directory.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeah, winston, if thats the case, can it just be fixed by taking out one of the mem. sticks ?

Winston

HSC
I'd probably run a memory diagnostic utility to test out the ram... basically i'm more geared towards the memory as the cause, primarily because from what i've seen from others, and it's a memory factor, because it's bad memory, it writes itself to the SYSTEM.HIV file, and in some way i kind of forgot, corrupts it... so yeah... but i'm not rulling out the fact that it could also be a application or another hardware device causing the problem.

Ninga

HSC
Ive got a gig of ram, so that might be it. I've got 2 sticks of 256mb Jet Ram ddr400, and 1 stick of 512mb Geil ram with the heat spreader on it. I'll try running the memtest, but i know i've run it before on just my 2 sticks of jetram, and it didnt come up with anything. I put in the 512 stick in january this year, so maybe thats done it over time. But i've had that stick in for like 8 months now, and that problem started about a month ago for the 1st time. But, i'll run the test, thanks for that...

ReaveR

HSC
Hm I had this problem.
That message comes up before Windows even boots up yeah?
Got a new stick of RAM and it worked, but then the mobo died a while after that anyway.
Might be an application but it kept on happening to me after numerous formats and on different hard disks, so yeah, probably the RAM as Winston said.

Ninga

HSC
Ive just gotten the same problem today and fixed it again using the windows XP cd. But, it seems that everytime i fix the prob, something goes awry. THis time, after everything got restored, my floppy disk drive became a hard disk drive, and i can't change it back, any help on this would be great. I've tried to reinstall the driver, etc, but it keeps coming back as a hard disk drive instead of removable storage device. ANy help would be great, cheers.

Winston

HSC
Yeah it sounds like your driver files are being corrupted, if you're using the chkdsk method inside the recovery console, i'm not sure if that actually replaces your SYSTEM.HIV file with the backed up one, perhaps going back into recover console, and doing it what i suggested above, and copying the C:\WINDOWS\repair\SYSTEM.HIV file over into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config.

Ninga

HSC
In C:\WINDOWS\repair\ i have a "system" file. But if i'm copying the file from one part of my HD to another, what is the point of even using the recovery console?? And would it even do anything? This file is 1mg, and the System file in the config directory is about 3mg.

r0wlzii

Restart the computer with your Windows XP CD in the drive and set the CD drive to the primary and only startup device.

When the windows drivers stop loading from the CD press E instead of enter to fix the problem manually.

Type in the admin password if you have one. This should now be a MS-Dos screen type in:

chkdsk p ...when that finishes type in:
fixboot

Hopefull this helps.

Au Revoir, Mathias.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)