• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Regarding a band 6 essay... (1 Viewer)

Kostie100

HSC
Im assuming the average one can write in the English advanced HSC critical analysis section is around 900 words in the 40 mins. I was wondering what you guys think would be the amount of techniques and quotes needed for a band 6 essay. (For each of your texts).

Of course the body paragraph is not the only important aspect in achieving a band 6 for the essay but it is the hardest :p

I was thinking along the lines of maybe 7 quotes and 10+ techniques for each text that you talk about?

deswa1

HSC
Im assuming the average one can write in the English advanced HSC critical analysis section is around 900 words in the 40 mins. I was wondering what you guys think would be the amount of techniques and quotes needed for a band 6 essay. (For each of your texts).

Of course the body paragraph is not the only important aspect in achieving a band 6 for the essay but it is the hardest :p

I was thinking along the lines of maybe 7 quotes and 10+ techniques for each text that you talk about?
You can't the phrases 'average one' and 'band six essay' together imo. I probs write between 1100-1200 words for my essays, for Mod B I reckon you should go more than 900 personally. About techniques- there's no hard and fast rule that will guarantee a B6- its how you write about your ideas and express yourself. Having said this, for something like Hamlet, I would use way more than 7 quotes and ten techniques personally.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
6 quotes
3 techniques for each
The effect and explanations are more important (and the techniques and quote should be integrated with this if you want a band6).

Yay.

inJust

HSC
All together for paper 2, I had 26 quotes in my trials that I had to remember. So divide it as you will.

Kostie100

HSC
So roughly 8-9 for each, that about how much I do these days, are you in year 12? (im yr 11)

deswa1

HSC
Just went through my essays- in my Mod B essay I had over 20 quotes and (I'm not saying I'm at this level) but you'll find that most people that get 96+ in english have heaps of quotes as well. The idea is pretty much to integrate your quotes with your techniques so you don't waste words and then you can do heaps. Don't put quotes for the sake of it but imo, its pretty hard to sustain a 18+/20 level argument if you can only support your points with 8 things from the text over 1100 words.

I'm open for discussion though if people have alternative views.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)