Redfern Racial Rioting (1 Viewer)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by jezzmo
I wont disagree that aboriginal's are disadvantaged and that steps need to be taken to reduce the socio-economic differences.

The death is tragic but at what point can we blame society or the police for those specific events? The fact that he had a cheap, broken bike and the fact that he commited a crime can perhaps be placed on his disadvantaged background. The crux of the issue is much bigger than this single event, and is not a fair representation of the microcosm of black vs white.
jezzmo, i think you have got it in a nutshell.

Egg_666

Originally posted by ND
It was not his choice to assault somebody? Who's choice was it? The governments? :rolleyes:
firstly assault is a very wide ranging charge... and you have no idea about the crime... and besides that, i am not talking about individual crimes... it is someones choice to commit a crime (sometimes) but being a criminal and commiting most criminal acts is forced from birth, from their livelihood... rape is a different crime... forced by arrogance and a desire for power... assault can be aggravated by a crap lfiestyle, similar to how they are forced to live...

Originally posted by ND
Since Christopher Skase went to the trouble of leaving the country, to excile in other countries, it must mean that there is something wrong with the punishment of white collar crime. :rolleyes:
wow... genius... is there any point discussing that... i mean skase was used to the high life... and he had the capability to jump country... i mean as much as i (nor anyone) should be sorry for them, but white collar criminals get quite a shock when they have to reap what they have sown...

and white collar criminals are running away from a much much worse crime... they wouldnt chase him all over the world is he had just commited a charge of assault...

sigh thats enough for that one...

Originally posted by jezzmo
But are you suggesting that police turn a blind eye to violent crime? Are you suggesting that they should not patrol the streets? Is the white girl whose raped by these people not also a victim? ("these people" refers to criminals, not aboriginals).

Let's for one moment take race out of this argument: a DISADVANTAGED boy commits a crime and fails to turn up to a court hearing of some sort. He sees policeman and his own guilty conscience gets him paranoid and tells him to flee. (Or even if we consider the alternative story, the cops sought to question/arrest him and he fled).
Due to his bike having no brakes and rumours he was on various substances, a very unfortunate and horrific accident occurs in which he crashes his bike and is impaled on a fence.
firstly, when you said "these people" and then admitted you werent talking about aboriginals why didnt you just change it to criminals... anyway

there are a few thigns you talked about... first about violent crime, it shouldnt be ignored... and i am not so much complaining about the police's actions on this instance... whilst i reckon it could have been prolly too much... but its the issue of ignoring the problem or treating it with minimal care...

good idea taking the race out of it... but thats neglecting the issue here...

if it was just neglected white person, people wouldnt, shouldnt make as HUGE a fuss, like riots in the street... but the fact is there is a culture of neglect against aboriginals... and this is just the reaction to that

"Australians like to think of their society as fair and egalitarian. But a riot in the neighborhood of Redfern in Sydney has dramatically highlighted problems of race that have haunted this country..."

i loved the quote before that "its not hard to read" i think that was from that genius ND, or someone...

it is without school... but then why go to school, if its not gonna get you anywhere...

Egg_666

i agree there is more at stake than this one death, as my post says... but people who dont feel sorry for this eprson... and express views as have been expressed are ridiculously unsympathetic...

but if you try to tell me that this isnt a relatively fair representation.... i would walk away... as a chick from redfern said "it takes this to get ourselves heard..."

and its that simple... its a terrible way to get your emssage across but they are out of options..

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
There was a story about it on a current affair, and this girl living there is going on about how theres nothing else to do, so they're ganna keep doing it. And then this other guy is on talking about how bad their 'situation' is, and we need to get down and suffer with them (them meaning the people who live there).
The fact that they live in a bad area is not my problem. They don't like it? Then do something about it like everyone else has to. And my town is completely boring, but I'm not about to go on some stupid rampage in defiance of something I know shitall about. Why can't they leave it to the authorities to deal with? And if the kid was breaking the law, then he should have dealth with the consequences. The fact that he is aboriginal shouldn't be an issue. And these people going off their nutter need to express their emotions elsewhere, not take it out on - for the most part - decent police officers.

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Originally posted by Egg_666
i agree there is more at stake than this one death, as my post says... but people who dont feel sorry for this eprson... and express views as have been expressed are ridiculously unsympathetic...

but if you try to tell me that this isnt a relatively fair representation.... i would walk away... as a chick from redfern said "it takes this to get ourselves heard..."

and its that simple... its a terrible way to get your emssage across but they are out of options..
What exactly is this 'message' that no-one will listen to?

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
yehthats whats im thinking what message?

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Epiphany
There was a story about it on a current affair, and this girl living there is going on about how theres nothing else to do, so they're ganna keep doing it. And then this other guy is on talking about how bad their 'situation' is, and we need to get down and suffer with them (them meaning the people who live there).
The fact that they live in a bad area is not my problem. They don't like it? Then do something about it like everyone else has to. And my town is completely boring, but I'm not about to go on some stupid rampage in defiance of something I know shitall about. Why can't they leave it to the authorities to deal with? And if the kid was breaking the law, then he should have dealth with the consequences. The fact that he is aboriginal shouldn't be an issue. And these people going off their nutter need to express their emotions elsewhere, not take it out on - for the most part - decent police officers.
i totally agree with you

ND

HSC
Originally posted by um..
ziffo old mate, when ND referred to "those people" sponging off welfare it was pretty evident he was referring to disadvantaged aboriginals, not criminals - i dont think i've ever encountered anybody who would label criminals as a generic class in society.
Dude, if i said i wasn't referring to aboriginals, then i wasn't. Why would i lie? If i was a racist, i'd present my views, but i simply am not.

wow... genius... is there any point discussing that... i mean skase was used to the high life... and he had the capability to jump country... i mean as much as i (nor anyone) should be sorry for them, but white collar criminals get quite a shock when they have to reap what they have sown...

and white collar criminals are running away from a much much worse crime... they wouldnt chase him all over the world is he had just commited a charge of assault...

sigh thats enough for that one...
I think it's pretty obvious what i was implying. And i think that assault is worse than any white collar crime.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
There should be more race prejudice in these forums and in our country.

guy

HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
if the police werent chasing him, and he thought they were, he obviously had a guilty conscience about something

besides, police are now treating this whole thing 'delicately', why the hell should they, if it were any where else they wouldnt, simply coz the area is predominately aboriginal or whatever, they have to tread carefully, if it was any where else with 'white' people, they would be in there kicking everyones butts over the riots

...talk about political correctness gone mad
it has nothing to do with that at all, i think your just racist

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by guy
it has nothing to do with that at all, i think your just racist
A hot racist!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
someone move this to News & Current Affairs?

yeah anyways, seeing the footage of this on tv was very chilling. perhaps even more chilling was Brogden's suggestion to "Send the bulldozers in". What a fuckwit. as if that's the answer.

guy

HSC
i know that was so pathetic

basically none of us know what its like to live in that sort of community where everyone is really poor and knows everyone else, so we can't imagine what if would be like if a 17 year old went through such a tragic death. and, i have seen the police treat aborigines like shit. i feel really bad for the kid though its a terrible way to die

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)