red cabbage indicator experiment (1 Viewer)

appletooth

HSC
Acid (HCl) = Pink
Neutral (H2O) = Purple
Base (NaOH) = Yellow

And originally, the indicator itself was purple.

appletooth

HSC
:| Crap, maybe our cabbage was off. Should I be worried? Can anyone else confirm that red/blue/green were the correct colours?

tegzy26

HSC
our classes results were as follows

Acid: pink (although a few looked more red than pink)
Base: green turning yellow
Neutral: purple.

the dotpoint hsc chem book states that the colours are meant to be
acid: pink
base:green
Neutral: purple

and the macquarie hsc chem book states that "If you used purple cabbage then you may find that the purple(neutral) extract changes as more drops of dilute acid or base are added"
(results as given by macquarie hsc book)
Acidic: purple turns to pink then red
Neutral: purple
Base: purple turns to blue-green then yellow.

so maybe your cabbage wasnt off but ur water may have been slightly basic?

appletooth

HSC
Ok thanks :) I'm going to go with the results I have, since it's pretty similar to the macquarie book.

steffiiii

HSC
when we did it
acid=>purple
base=>green (almost emerald green)

.... another question: did you guys use water or ethanol? cause text books say to use ethanol and we used water... what did you guys use?

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Use can use either one. In fact, by crashing the cabbage then filtering off the juice, you can use it straight away without dissolving into any other solvents to increase the volume of your indicator.

And, for NaOH, it does turn yellow. The green or aqua colours do depend on the []s and strength of the bases you use. As far as I did, by using 1M solutions, aqua is for NH3. Besides, red for HCl, pink for CH3COOH.

Gmook

HSC
I do realise this post is pretty dead, but instead of creating a new one i thought id just try asking here. With the cabbage indicator, does the colour change around pH=7 then? As in even at pH=6 u can see the red and at pH=8 the green/yellow?

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Fuck yes another prac I didn't do....... wish teachers were up to date with this shit. Thanks for informing me on this prac guys.

danz90

HSC
SkimDawg said:
Fuck yes another prac I didn't do....... wish teachers were up to date with this shit. Thanks for informing me on this prac guys.
It's pretty easy... just remember that you boil cabbage to remove the organic pigment, which itself is an indicator.

In our experiment.. we found green/yellow to indicate alkaline, and bright pink/magenta to indicate acidity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)