Received final cumulative rankings :( Need 97ish.. Possible? (1 Viewer)

ipride

HSC
I go to a selective school rankd top 50.

My final ranks are:

Math 2u:1 out of 133
Math 3u: 20 out of 68
English Advanced: 90 out of 181 :(
Japanese Cont.: 2 out of 15
Japanese Ext: 3 out of 9
Chemistry: 26 out of 82

need 97ish for combined business/commerce. POssible?? If possible, how hard do i have to hammer externals :p?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
band 6's is what you shuld be aiming for in externals :)

runnable

HSC
Might be slightly lacking to get 97+.

Your school is not allowed to release final cumulative ranks.

HSC
Definitely possible. You have two months. Start soon.

Edit: Less than two months. Fuck...

runnable said:
Eh?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
runnable said:
Might be slightly lacking to get 97+.

Yes they are, but not the marks.

edit: or so im told

decoil

HSC
risole91 said:
Yes they are, but not the marks.

edit: or so im told
You are told correctly. Runnable, Please stop spreading incorrect information.

runnable

HSC
"At the end of the Higher School Certificate examinations, you may ask for your position in the rank order in each course you have studied based on school assessments."

Board of Studies.

"Rank Order Notices

Note this content will become available on 12th November 2008"

Students Online

HSC
So where does it say they can't release it before then?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
On the first day of this term we had a BOSLO come to out school to go through all this sort of stuff, the moderation process for internal marks, etc.

We asked this exact question as our school had never given the ranks before but we knew that many schools did.

The BOSLO told us that the BOS preferred us not to but that we could if we wanted to do so. We will be doing so this year for the first time this year based on her comments as we feel that knowing their ranks is something that the students should know before they sit their exams rather than afterwards.

The BOS does seem to be contradicting itself on this as their Rules and Procedures book seems to say that you can't do this and yet one of their officers is telling schools that they can.

runnable

HSC
veloc1ty said:
So where does it say they can't release it before then?

At the end of the Higher School Certificate examinations
, you may ask for your position in the rank order in each course you have studied based on school assessments.

End of HSC Exams is mid November last time I checked. We are definitely not supposed to get it. Confirmed by Dean of Studies and every single teacher I've got. As well as Rules and Regulations from BOS.

undalay

HSC
Techincally we may or may not be allowde to gain total rankings.
However many schools do hand out said ranks.

I do not see the problem in this, and I do not see why you so strongly advocate against these ranks.
Allowing access to these ranks can help assess personal goals, as well as sort out any technical misfortunes that may have occured.

runnable

HSC
But more often than not, its a turnoff for most people. They look at their less-than-desired ranks and lose motivation. High ranking people will start to be complacent. Its not a good thing IMO.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
runnable said:
But more often than not, its a turnoff for most people. They look at their less-than-desired ranks and lose motivation. High ranking people will start to be complacent. Its not a good thing IMO.
Works both ways really, I'm only 18th/54 for physics so I gotta strive to get that band 6.

decoil

HSC
runnable said:
Like you don't have a general idea where you are ranked anyway?

runnable

HSC
General idea maybe. But to get that confirmation that you are not as good as you need or want to be, thats a different story.

Lordie

HSC
This is an interesting topic. I've always thought ranks were fine, however marks were not (although we all do the calculations ourselves, heh). My school has posted the cumulative ranks for English, however the other subjects I've just had to ask my teachers, whom provided me with the rank information.

I think getting your ranking is more positive than negative, however I understand that it can work both ways. On the positive side, if you maybe didn't do as well as you had wanted, you may put much more effort into getting those high band 5s or 6s', however if you see yourself at say, rank 1 - some students may find themselves thinking, maybe they don't have to put as much effort in to their final exams (however I highly doubt this, since they have been commited enough to work hard all year to fight for that rank 1 placing!)

Basically, I'm in favour of being told ranks - and wish the BOS would clear this up, as well as so many other of their ambiguous rules, in their wording!

runnable

HSC
Well I'm definitely not in favour. The high ranked will get complacent and the lower ranked with lose confidence more often than not.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
i think its very much dependent upon the individual. i know all my ranks off my own calculations and also some subjects i was told. For me, im usually quite high ranked so it helps motivate. When im high ranked i kinda want to do it for the teachers if u get what i mean, like they put so much effort into you and such expectations i would hate to finish with a mediocre mark.

HSC
runnable said:
At the end of the Higher School Certificate examinations, you may ask for your position in the rank order in each course you have studied based on school assessments.
It says you can ask for them after the HSC. It doesn't specifically say you can't ask before that.

runnable said:
Well I'm definitely not in favour. The high ranked will get complacent and the lower ranked with lose confidence more often than not.
While I agree it can lead to complacency/loss of confidence, in reality this will already have happened based on marks and seeing how others go. I think the certainty of the rank is preferable to nervousness or being worried over how well you went. Best to just get handed it and get over it before the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)