Reccomended >> Angelas Ashes (1 Viewer)

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Its officially a favourite book of mine. :) 2 thumbs up.

Its amazing how McCourt remembers and captures his outlook as a child. (I wish i could - and im only 18) Although many of Frank's circumstances are overhwelmingly desperate, the simplicity of the writing - the innoncence, honesty, naivete - compensates. So it was weird in the sense that i did not no whether to laugh outloud or cry. But i did smile anyway and got weird looks from other train passengers. Dont you just hate that?

Its pretty easy reading because its a memoir of a childhood, there is alot of irish slang which is funny (as are the euphemisms of 'excitement') and no quotation marks so you immediately adopt the other persona, effective in the sense you immediately see what Frank pinpoints.

Makes you think twice about childhood and adulthood.

Anyone who's read it, i'd love to hear about what you thought of it, and without revealing too much, what you thought of the ending.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I read and saw this in year 10, I liked it but i'm a bit fuzzy on the ending. There's actually a sequel which i've been meaning to check out for a while now.

Ashleet

HSC
I've just finished reading Angelas Ashes and Tis and after doing studying irish plays as part of the HSC it really opens your eyes to see what other people have gone through and suffered. If you enjoy autobiographies try My Story by Dave Pelzer (A child named it, the lost boy and a man named dave).

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Actually, I found it at a book sale for $10 today so I bought it to read again.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
loz did you find it at angus and robinson? cos the one in the city, was selling it and the sequel - 'Tis - both for $10. I was on top of the moon :)

lazybum

HSC
N/A
That;s on my current book list . i just watched it on TV and it seems interesting

lazybum

HSC
N/A
the library never has the books i want - waverly, that is, they're always out on loan!!!

couldn't get angela's ashes, and couldn't find it at the local bookstore for that matter either

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ashleet
the movie version was so over rated, the book a million times better
here here, i found it slower than the book.

altho it was occasionally cute - their butts and all...hehe

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by lazybum

couldn't get angela's ashes, and couldn't find it at the local bookstore for that matter either

go to angus&robertson on pitt st! i bought a set - angelas ashes & 'Tis (sequeal) for only $10!

lazybum

HSC
N/A
oh gosh i was just there and now im going away.....
tis too bad........

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
i read about two years ago.. so my memory's bit hazy bout it... but i remember crying... i agree.its a really really really good book.ive been meaning to read the sequel as well.. but its written by his lttle brother right?malachy?i think his name was. well yeh and ive heard its not as good, but i mean its alot to live up to since the first book was so successful and everything.i guess its just reader's expectations as well.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sweetcherry
read the book... saw the movie... good shit
lol i think tis better than good shit

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
tis is written by the same guy, frank mccourt

i liked angela's ashes but i think there's a lot better irish literature out there.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
i dont know that, he captures the perspective and vitality of a child wonderfully.

I think its in its own category.

Altho, i love the shipping news. Words never went together with such flair :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)